Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bepanthen/Metanium...and cloth nappies!

Cloth nappy users, how does using nappy creams go? I've heard that sudocream is a no go?

Also, while I'm at it...am I right in thinking that bepanthen is more everyday use whereas Metanium is for flare ups?

Replies

• Options

I've never used anything as every day use, just waitrose baby bottom butter and nappy off if he's a little bit sore. I tried metanium on him when he had bad nappy rash but it made it worse as he had open sores (from a tummy bug) so I actually used raw egg white as recommended to me by someone on here and it was ace. I'd rather use something less chemically anyway as that's one of the reasons we use cloth.

Metanium stains so generally isn't best to use with cloth.

• Options

Iv never used anything as every day use, just nappy off time.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE metanium my boys have never had horrific nappy rash just a bit when started weaning and metanium cleared it up instantly. However metanium can stain quite badly so not sure about it's use with cloth nappies tbh. With redness I tend just to have them with nappy off time which usually helps it's only of it sticks around then I apply metanium. If it was covering quite a lot if area of they were very distressed then tbh I'd see the go just incase steroid cream or antibiotic cream needed.

I don't like bepanthen as I don't rate it but I'm sure loads of people like it.

• Options

Never used bepanthen so can't help with that.  We've used the yellow metanium a few times, my little boy gets really bad nappy rash when teething due to his toxic wee!  We use fleece liners with our nappies and haven't had any staining from the metanium.  I dry them outside whenever possible though to make sure they are getting the sun so that helps with staining.

• Options

I used Metanium on W when his nappy rash was bad - It's amazing stuff!. I used sudocrem for the rest of the time... but then, i didn't use cloth nappies, so ignore me! :-)

• Options

Thanks all. I asked elsewhere and Waitrose Bottom Butter comes highly recommended so will use that for everyday, and Metanium (with loads of liners) for bad breakouts.

• Options

Do you need to use a cream every day? Wouldn't you only use one if baby got a bit red / sore? Surely putting a cream on every day is worse than leaving them to breathe? I'm happy to be corrected though.

• Options

The idea of Sudocream and the like is for them to be an every day cream, a barrier cream to put on at every change. I moisturise myself at least once a day so why not baby? Plenty of people don't use one every day though. The waitrose bottom butter seems a good choice for cloth bum mums so I'm going with that, baby's bum gets wet a lot so I guess it's the equivalent of using hand cream? I think the barrier cream may be more necessary with sposies where there are chemicals involved, but happy to be corrected.

• Options

It's not the same as a moisturiser though is it? I wouldn't cover myself in sudocreme lol

I don't know, I'm genuinely asking. I know lots of people who don't put cream on the babe unless they need it.

• Options

The Waitrose butter is more like a moisturiser Rod, in fact lots of people buy it as a hand/body moisturiser for themselves, not for a baby. It keeps E's skin nice and soft, we started off not using it at every change but her bum and bits got all red. Now they're peachy :D Agree with you on the Sudocrem though, I never liked it much when we were using it for A.

• Options

I don't know either. I wouldn't use sudocream as you can't use it with cloth, and I've never used it in my life so no idea on texture. The bottom butter I mentioned is a moisturiser though so I would use it each change...it has rave review on loads of sites/forums, especially from cloth bum mums which is what I was focused on.

• Options

I use disposable nappies and we've never used cream on S. I haven't really seen the need to. I figure that they tell you to stay away from products at first so why cover her bottom in something every nappy change. We just give her a little nappy free time (not a lot, like 5 minutes), and change her nappy at least every feed and touchwood we haven't had any problems.

• Options

Saffron you get a free tube of metanium in the Emmas diary pack if you wanted to try it for free (you may already have it)

• Options

I think I might go for that approach too Flossy. Think we will be using disposables, so the less chemicals I can put on him the better. I have bepanthen already at home (from tattoos!) and will get some of the metanium for flare ups.

Love the idea of the bottom butter, might get some anyway just to see. His skin might be ok. You just don't know until they're here do you.

• Options

Good to know Flossy, we will be having some nappy off time too when possible. I've already bought Metanium, but haven't signed up to Emma's Diary as I heard bad reviews about junk mail from them and 3rd parties.

• Options

I signed up at 12 weeks and their emails are set to go straight to my junk mail. Just thought I'd let you know : ) haven't had anything through the post.

• Options

Thanks...so many people have had their details sold to third parties....don't want to risk it.

• Options

Ah well I didn't give out all my contact information so not having any problems. I think most people had issues with cold calling but we don't use a house phone.

• Options

Yeah, the house phone and postal address were the main concerns I think. Glad you've not had any problems. Smile

• Options

We used lansinoh (sp?) cream on T that was leftover from when I was BF and it cleared up the redness a treat and is nice and natural - just another one to consider :-)

• Options

I had a million pots of Sudocrem from Bounty packs and it was nice to keep a tiny one in my changing bag. I also bought the Boots bottom balm because it looked a bit nicer and gentler. I don't use anything as an everyday cream and we've been quite lucky that she only gets nappy rash when teething so I've barely made a dent in either!