Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

May 16 Babies

Replies

• I'm feeding on demand... she seems to have got herself into a routine at night/ feeds at 9,12,3&5am. During the day it's all over the place. Sometimes she naps a lot of the day and some days she dosnt nap at all and seems to feed all the time. She has been diagnosed with silent reflux so I think it's the comfort more than anything on her bad days.

• That's good. Alice will sometimes go about 5 hours between a feed in the afternoon. 

The thing I'm struggling with is all the loud straining and grunting noises she makes at night in her sleep. They are so loud I can't sleep through them even with ear plugs. She doesn't cry with it and still appears asleep, but it sounds distressing and it's keeping me awake. It's got to the point where I'm thinking of moving her to her nursery with a sensor pad and monitor. 

she seems a bit better swaddled but it's too hot for that in our house at the moment. The temp in the room is 26c. 

we use Infacol but the grunting only seems to happen at night in the early hours  She sometimes spits up a bit with it but not usually large amounts and I do keep her upright for half an hour after a feed And burp her etc. Also the Moses basket is raised To 30 degrees. 

Any ideas?

• Coxy1985, NO ONE told me about the puppy sounds that come from newborns (not all newborns apparently - a friend of mine who has big baby boys, they never did the grunts)

Used to keep me awake constantly too. I always thought my girls were in distress/trouble cause of the noises, but they weren't, and then they suddenly stopped. Not sure if it was an age/weight thing, but it just does stop.

• Thanks Danielle !! Really nice to hear it's not just our baby and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. honestly it's SO loud I can't sleep through it. My husband goes back to work in a week so I will lose my 5 hour block of sleep when he has her til late. I think I might have to put her in the nursery if I'm actually going to get any sleep at all. do you think that's awful?? We do have a video monitor and sensor pad, it just means I can turn the volume down! 

• Coxy does your little one seem to have a blocked nose? Emellia with me always seems to have a blocked nose and she makes a weird loud noises in her sleep! I've bought nasal drops which the health visitor advised.. it eased little, also under the moses basket mattress I have a blanket on her top half. So she's on a little angle to help with wind xx

• No I don't think she does have a blocked nose. I've not noticed that Anyway. The angle is a must for wind but she still does it. she also gets hiccups loads !!

• Coxy1985, I think you gotta do what you gotta do! There's no right or wrong here. Thing is, it doesn't really matter if she's in another room or not - when you have a baby, somehow you're now intuned to your baby wherever she is, and you'll hear every sound they make anyway (you'll be sleeping with your ears open listening to the monitor  anyhoo!!! )

• Coxy I have the same problem! Niamh grunts and groans all night, it sounds like a donkey. I have resorted to ear plugs but i can still hear it as well. I think she is sleeping lightly sometimes when doing it and then a big straining noise like a herd of elephants will happen, which I think is her trying to go to the toilet. Trust me, you are not alone.

she have had quite a few problems with her tummy, at first I was told its colic but i was sure it's more than that. I was combination feeding her at first, breast milk supplemented with cow and gate first milk. I tried infacol, gripe water, colic granules, dentinox and infant gaviscon from the doctor and nothing helped. I then changed to aptamil comfort milk and started using colief which I think might have helped slightly for a day or two but the crying and screaming most of the night remained. So now she is being trialled on nutramigen on the advice of the health visitor who thinks she might have cows milk allergy. We only started this on Thursday and haven't seen much improvement as yet but Im guessing it takes a bit of time. I wish she would turn into a happy / sleeping baby! It's so distressing seeing them in pain. 

• i feel your pain Katie. We have Mya on infant Gaviscon at the minute for the same problem, she seemed to be in pain most of the day when she wasn't sleeping or feeding. It seems to be working though so fingers crossed/ only problem is getting in into her as in breastfeeding it has to be given by a syringe mixed with water - nightmare!! But a couple of minutes of screaming beats a whole day of screaming. Mya has a blocked nose too, saline spray gives some relief. 

Mya has yet to sleep a night in her Moses basket or cot- she sleeps on a mattress on the floor in the spare room with me 🙈. she settles so well and sleeps well every night and I'm right beside her to feed her when she stirs. It works well for us. i have slept one night in bed with hubby since she's been born - not ideal but it means we all get sleep. 

• Anyone else's babies being a nightmare with wanting to feed every 90 mins-2 hours in the day? It's like she keeps snacking rather than taking a full feed? She can do 4, sometimes 5 hours at night but never as long in the day!

how is everyone else doing? X 

• lottie is 4 weeks tomorrow! No idea where time is going! image

• Fabulicious I have the same problem with the feeds during the day, sometimes she'll have what I think is a really good feed and she'll go fast to sleep like shes full, then she can wake up half an hour later wanting more! The only downside of breastfeeding I feel...especially if you're out somewhere with friends or family like dinner and she's on and off your boob the entire evening! They're all growing so fast. Mine is 4 weeks on Monday and I don't know where the time has gone either....image

• They are sooooo cute!! 

• imageGoing out for dinner with friends tonight and leaving her with daddy and a bo of expressed milk. I hope that it goes ok, only 20 mins away if he needs me. Mya is the same Stephie. Sometimes she feeds every 4 hours, sometimes every hour - never know what to expect. 

• The pictures are AMAZING!
    Don't worry about the cluster feeding, perfectly normal!

• I'm not sure if bottle fed babies cluster feed though, and she's exclusively bottle fed 😕

• Mine does !! as we speak she has had 4.5oz and is 45 mins later having another 2oz!! shes only 16 days old !!

• My little one is on 180ml bottles (I'm sure it's a little over 6oz ) she's three weeks old and weighing 11lbs 0.5oz.. 

she usually goes 3 hours if she has the full 180. But in the day from about 6am until 2pm she takes less (only about 90ml) and want a feed every hour and a half or sometimes she wants every hour and only takes about 50ml. 

Health visitor said she is going through a growth spurt and will soon return to her usual 180ml every 3 hours. And due to her size she's  equivelent to a 9 week old baby.. 

My little pudding 3 weeks & 3 days! Time is going too quick!!!!! 

• look at her in that pink tutu!! 

My trip out tonight was a success. She took a bottle of expressed milk from Daddy - al she did give him dirty looks the whole time lol. She cried loads but he eventually was able to smooth her to sleep 10mins before I got home. She's been stuck on me now for 45mins- she's not letting boobies out of her sight now haha. I swear she has grown since I left!

• Emma it must be nice for you to get out of the house and have a little break! I'm going to the cinema on the 24th with my boyfriend and we're leaving isabelle with my mum, I'm so nervous to leave her but my mums the only person I would trust so hope fully things go smoothly and she takes and expressed bottle of my mum!