Forum home Babies Baby

May 16 Babies

Replies

• How do you feel about the advice Shellington? And what will you try first? The sugar or the juice? 

• I was quite surprised that he advised us to try this first but relieved as it's what I wanted to do but wasn't sure if it would do her any harm. Our doctor is a peadiatrician, so I'm always confident about any baby advice he gives us. He got me through the dreadful colicky times with my first born, with his advice. I'm going to just up her water intake first and then add a bit of brown sugar if the water alone doesn't help. I'll try the orange if that doesn't work. We'll get there in the end, its just trial and error I suppose Xx

• imageLil Atlee loves his new Muslim Swaddle wrap!!! Thank you MFM's!!!!💗💗💗

• Havnt been on this for a while hope your all doing ok with your beautiful little ones and adapting to mother hood well :)

Little Emellia has been poorly, blood in her poo & sick after feeds also a rash. Took her to doctors who sent us to the hospital. Had tests done turns out she's got a cows milk protein allergy. I tried again breast feeding as i havnt dried up completley but she was not having it. 

So she's been put on similac alimentum formula. She taken to it well. Allthough she's now feeding little and often instead of a big 6 oz every 4 hours. But on her weigh in on last Thursday (5 weeks old) she was weighing 12lbs7oz!!! (Birth weight 9lbs13oz) so happy she's gaining! 

The only problem with this formula is that it doesn't come in ready to feed containers. Which on her last formula we used to use the containers for our days out. So it's tricky. How do you store formula for days out? 

How is everyone and their little ones? 

Also big thankyou for the swaddle MFM! Emellia loves it to go to sleep in the nights xxx

• You're so welcome 3tnboys!

Hi Bet124, so good to see your name pop up! We were wondering how things were going with you and Emeilia. We're really sorry to hear about Emeilia's allergy - that but must have been so worrying seeing blood in her stool but glad she's been diagnosed and hopefully on the mend.

You know you can portable formula storage containers? They normally have three compartments, so you can just pour the formula in the bottle, add the water and you're sorted! 

Any chance of new piccy of your girly? 

• Thankyou Danielle!  I was just reading about storing the powder apart to the water. But would it be best to keep the water in a flask? I was thinking of getting a thermos flask will give the powder pot and the flask a go in the week sometime when out for the day to see how long the water stays warm, 

She's become such a smiler 😍 :) the days are going by way too quick! !

Ill post one of her being swaddled when she wakes :) xxxx

• Alice is 4.5 weeks now. she tends to feed every 3-4 hours, is that normal? im wondering whether I should be starting a bedtime routine with set feeding times or if it's too early?? What do people think? 

• Cozy my girls six weeks and I feed her whenever she wants...during the day every two hours she has 2oz of expressed breast milk. Then I bath her about 7-8pm and after I will feed her formula when she wants it then she wakes up once or twice in the night and has formula.  In the morning anytime after half 7 I will get her out of bed but before that I will try keep her in bed for a but longer x

• Coxy * sorry autocorrect lol x

• Ah ok, I get the impression that babies naturally start to go longer stretches at 6 weeks. Do you think that's true? A couple of my friends keep banging on about routines rather than on demand feeding and I'm not that happy with that at this age. One of my friends does 4 hourly feeds and makes her baby wait if necessary! I think she should be fed when she's hungry! i will wake her in rhe day if she goes more than 4 hours. until now she's hated baths, but i might start doing one every night to give her a semblance of a routine! 

• Yeah she goes longer between feeds at night but that's her choice not mine. I believe in on demand rather than set feeding. I'll probably do on demand until 6 months when she starts solid. Don what you feels best :) your know your baby more than anyone :) x

• The health visitor told me to feed as and when she wants. You can't tell a screaming baby that she can't have milk because it's not time lol! Emellia with me wakes up about every 2/3 hours now with this new milk! And takes 2/3 ounce.

But in the day she'll go a good 3/4 hours but does drink 4 ounce or more xx

• Totally agree - seems wrong to make a baby wait !!

ive noticed Alice will go longer in the day sometimes than at night!! Annoying. Not sure there is much we can do about it though. Although I guess could wake to feed at 3 hours, but that deprives them of sleep that they need doesn't it. She defo knows night from day as at night she usually goes straight back to sleep after feeds. 

its just nice to hear other people in the same boat as you start doubting yourself don't you. 

• http://www.emmapickettbreastfeedingsupport.com/twitter-and-blog/the-dangerous-game-of-the-feeding-interval-obsession

i read this today, thought it was good.

i feed on demand. Mya started to sleep for longer stretches at night around 6/7 weeks. She goes down at 9, wakes at 1/2 for a feed then again round 5 and 7 and the past few days has slept on till 9am. During the day i generally offer her the boob when she gets unsettled. Comforts her straight away which is great as she is still on antibiotics for her infection and is probably still in some pain.

• I agree. It works for me. My girl settled about half 10 last, woke at half 2. Had 5oz of formula over an hour then slept until half 7. Then I move on to expressed breast milk. She's slowly going longer and longer at night without waking. I'm just letting her do it in her own time. Over the past 6 weeks noticing her getting more and more into her own routine it is definitely worth feeding on demand. Happy baby, full belly and happy mummy! ;)

• I'm glad that other mommas are feeding on demand. Olivia normally goes 2-3 hours between feeds. She has had a few good nights where she has slept after her last bottle from 12 till 6. She is 6 weeks on Wednesday. She is getting to be quite active during the day. 

• Hi everyone, we have an article we thought might be of interest - it's basically all about feeding on demand and covers breast and bottle feeding. Hopefully you might find it useful. 

• Got the great news that Mya's infection is all clear yesterday so could stop her antibiotics. Then woke up this morning to mastitis I think - no luck at the minute 😕. 

thats a good article Danielle! There are definitely days that Mya is hungrier than others. Shes not getting a dummy so sometimes I think she just latches on for comfort too. Poor dad can't settle her like i can because I've the secret weapons lol.

• EmmaR2608, how are your boobs doing today? Mastitis can be really hideous - you seeing a doc? 

• Hiya everyone, we hope this post finds you well! We've just started a new thread about coping with c-section scars (if you had a section) or vaginal stitches if you had a vaginal birth. If you have any golden tips, we'd love for you to come and share them on this new thread please. Thank you!