Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

July 16 Babies - Part 2

Replies

• im glad things are better with you and your partner Claire. I wouldn't feel bad you still need to get into the swing of working together. I'm kinda the same with my hubby now he knows it's colic and not just me not being able to cope. He's trying to help around the house and just do thing when I ask and not 10 years later. But because I'm used to asking him so much I dont even check and I start to moan and its ether done or he's doing it but as I say to him

I do have people close by but they go to the caravan at the weekend. Well my auntie who I'd ask. I wouldnt ask Thomas mum or my sister as they don't get it and would just judge and tell me everything I'm doing wrong. I also don't want to asked for help as I know other people have their own lives. 

• Hi,  Oliver had colic from 3 weeks and we found that using Dr Browns bottles and Colief drops in his milk have made a fantastic difference to him and our sanity!!  Colic goes away usually between 3-4 months and Oliver I still almost 3 months so we are going to start to wean him off the drops soon ... but I am slightly scared to!!  You can buy the drops in Boots or Amazon is cheaper!  They are not cheap (costing us about £10 a week) but many doctors will give them on prescription (but not mine!).  We tried infacol initially but it didn't work for us. 

• Zoies don't every feel like a bad mum gd love you colic is hard going 2 my kids had it scream scream for hours it's not as bad now but Ollie is on 2 different meds for it that's a shame you went so long not knowing she had. Colic it's a horriable thing last a long long time. Ollie be 12 weeks on Tuesday I going start missing out sum with his feeds see how we goalkeeping sorry I can't help with that I think I would stuggle with no much sleep fingers crossed Ollie goes down at 9pm till 7am  all my 4 love sleep 

rustic that's rubbish Drs not give you anything my dr gives me it all 

how's everybody babys doing x

• Yes my friend who lives 4 miles away gets it from her doctor but mine was really funny with me when I asked about it. 

Your tip of the baby oil for the cradle cap worked well yesterday. I probably need to do ita couple of times, but it's made a big difference,  thank you!

• Ive got myself and both my children on the minor ailment scheme. I don't have to take them to the doctors if it's something the pharmacist can look at and give them something. When my son had chicken pox I went in and they saw him and I had the lotion and paracetamol etc for free. It saves doctors appointments if it's just for colds etc. I will take Nellie up when she starts teething etc. It's good I think if you not doin it already 

• Maybe your doctor is one of those people who don't like to medicate babies some people can be really weird about giving babies things and refuse vaccinate and stuff! Ask to see someone else maybe. 

im going to sign Oliver up for water babies! he is so cute in the bath it's like he's trying to swim so thought he would really like that! Don't know how much it is though! He slept 8pm-4am yesterday then went back to sleep until 8am so I got a nice 6 hour straight sleep again and then 4 hours.. nice to get a bit of decent sleep x 

• Rustic i am the same, Dr won't give anything. I don't mind paying for it but your can't get colief drop here unless they are intolerant to lactose or something. Although i have recently been told you can get it out of holland and barrett, so i will go get it this week. i am still breast feeding and only express when i am at university or if Grace gets a bit fussy but i will keep them in mind. I am also going to test a few bottles. so fingers crossed we find something soon that works. 

Thanks K85m i have done that too. Its a really good idea. 

Thanks for your support ladies, Its been really frustrating because when she isn't crying she smiles and we can have a wee baby chat etc lols. So it makes me sad that she is in so much pain and i can't comfort her. My husband has really stepped up since health visitor has said its colic but it shouldn't have taken that long. But glad of the support now. 

Hope all  your babies are well 

• If you do need to buy them Amazon have the bigger bottles (twice the size of the ones in boots) for £11.  You can still give them the drops on a spoon before you BF. Might be worth trying infacol first as it might work for Grace and is a lot cheaper. 

• Water babys up here is really dear Claire hope not at yours x

• Claire I wanted to take bear to water babies too, got the price it's £155 for 19 sessions that last 30 mins x

• 10 sessions Not 19! 

• Maybe she's taking a lot of wind down when she's having her milk you said that she was choking a bit.. once your milk has settled and she's got a bit bigger she might not take down as much air and the colic might get better? fingers crossed it gets better soon x  

that is quite expensive i think Oliver would love it so much he's soo cute in the bath i love my baby so much how happy do babies make you! hes a proper mummy's boy as well he only wants his mama x 

• Rustic I am using that just now but she still screams in the evening so I am assuming it not working. Health visitor told me to keep using the same thing for a week but don't know how long I can keep going for as I hate seeing her so distressed. Claire she is still chocking While feeding. I've tried even sitting her up while feeding but it just doesn't seem to be working. 

• Have you tried laying yourself back in a recline because sitting up makes your milk come down faster try laid back breast feeding. Maybe because you are at uni when you get home to feed her your boobs are really full so it's coming down really quick x

• I am only at uni one day a week and I now express before feeding as my milk flow was too fast. I think you said express as it could be my milk flow. ive tried sitting in all different positions but not so sure I've tried lying back so thanks I'll try that. I've tried different chairs etc. Health visitor was useless.  have doctors on Wednesday so I'll mention it then too. I've even tried hold her up for 20 minutes after each feed so it means grace can't sleep just after a feed. hopefuly changing to something different will help  

• The way the HV explained it to me is there are a couple of causes for colic. The common one being taking in air and getting trapped wind, thats when infacol works as it helps bring up the wind.  Oliver has no trouble burping for Britain so that want his issue.  The other one is where they can't break down the enzymes in the milk, which is where the colief drops help.  They break this down for them until they are 3-4 months old and their tummys can cope with it.

• Exactly and can even be down to being stimulated by surroundings too much, sometimes there just is no reason they just cry I know colic crying is different to hunger but will she go on the boob when she's crying maybe half way through crying she gets hungry because they cluster feed as well and you can be feeding them solidly for 4 hours straight in the evening, maybe every so often try and put her on the boob it calms them as well.There is a facebook group breastfeeding yummy mummies have they got bf support groups in your area like bosom buddies or drop in at the hospital. There's  la leche league a bf organisation too google to see if one near u. Xx 

• My friend also said gettin the pics from water babys was a few hundred pound it's a joke why there charge so much x

• No I can't put her on the boob when she is crying even for comfort as she won't latch sadly. As everyone has said To try this. Grace used to cluster feed in the evening but it's changed to 4am. After she cried she is too tired to do anythingn so she pretty much straight to sleep.( only if being held) I have started going to a bf class in my area but all the babies are alot older 4months+. I got some advice from them too like have grace sit up for 20 minutes after a feed etc which I try do every time. 

thanks rustic that's really helpful to know. We have been using infocol for two/three days now and she is still crying in the even so do you think that means it's not working. She still cried yesterday even for about two hours. I read the colief  must go in the milk before giving it to your baby just a few drop in a bottle then breat feed. Not sure if their is a better option for me as grace hate bottle and I don't think she would take one during the night. 

Thanks girls for the advice/support 

• I definately read something about giving it on a teaspoon before BF in the instructions. I'm away at the moment but when I get home on Wednesday I'll have a look at the instructions in the box and let you know.