Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

April 2018 Babies

Replies

• Hey Matilda, 

With my 1st we did baby rice for a couple of days to get him used to the texture then introduced the first veg did a couple of days then the next etc. So we did -

Monday baby rice

Tuesday baby rice 

Wednesday baby rice 

Thursday pureed carrot 

Friday carrot 

Saturday carrot 

Sunday pureed parsnip 

And so on and you can always go back to a flavour they like but I'd give them a couple of goes at each flavour to get them used to it. I found cow and gate 5 step weaning guide useful just as an outline but I have looked at the mfm app to know if it's different.

Everyone does it differently and there are no right or wrong answers just what works best for you. Xxx

Harry seemed ok after his 3rd lot sorry not much of a help, hope Rauri is feeling better but if your concerned phone the gp they won't mind giving you peace of mind. 

• Thanks ladies. I rang the GP and had a phone consultation but they wanna see him due to his age so gonna go in this afternoon.

We have been weaning since 17 weeks too. Rauri had 5/6 days with baby rice. By the 6th day he was gagging on it so I decided to prep some veg purees.

I've been following ellas kitchen but I cooked up loads of veg like sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, Swede, even sprouts. I pureed them all and put them in ice cube trays in the freezer. I just heat it up in the microwave for him. He started on one ice cube but now easily eats two. We did that for 2 weeks then started on fruit last weekend. Now I know he can eat all the veg and fruit hes had so far I'll start mixing it. Rauri is 5 months tomorrow and he will have half a 70g pouch of ellas kitchen fruit in the mornings and then two ice cubes of the veg I made up around 5 about an hour before his last bottle.

Since he's been having the fruit and veg he has been sleeping from 7-7. Long may it last lol x

• Abel is 5 and a half months, so scary how quickly he’s growing! He’ll be 6 months october 2nd 😱 but yeah I’ve lost faith in my GP too, and being a first time mum I was apprehensive about being forceful at first, but I’ve been right every time with Abel’s problems so I’m much more persistent now.

We startes weaning able at about 4 and a half months and we also followed the Ella’s Kitchen plan, as we tried baby rice and he hated it!  He liked everything we tried other than parsnip, I bought a pouch of each and then if he likes it went and bought fresh and made it myself. Then 2 weeks later moved to fruit and the only thing he refused so far is banana, but I’ll try that again soon! He has fruit and a bottle after his first nap and then veg before his last bottle at around 5:30. 

The thing I’m now struggling with is introducing finger food, I allow him to have the spoon And bowl at the end, otherwise he wouldn’t get any food in him because he just smooshes most of it around his face because they sooons are so long 😂 so I want to introduce finger foods, but everything I see is recommended from 7 months! So im very confused about this whole baby led thing, If all finger foods are recommended from a month after you start them 🤔 or I’m completely misunderstanding the concept!! 

• And not it looks like I can’t spell my own sons name because my ohone auto corrects it 😂

• Tonistar how funny rauri didn't like my parsnip but loved the ellas kitchen one. He doesn't seem to be keen on banana either he normally pukes that one. I made him sprouts last night he enjoyed that and then he had some ellas kitchen prune this morning. His nappy was rank. 

I have started giving rauri the kiddylicious blueberry wafers as they melt in the mouth x

• How did you get the Ella’s kitchen weaning guide? X

I signed up online when pregnant and got sent this fridge chart. There is an app aswell. X

• i used the app, but it’s basically just give them only vegetables for the first 2 weeks of weaning and try a different vegetable everyday, which I didn’t do, I stuck with the same very for 3 days, and only gave him carrot, parsnip, swede, sweet potatoe and butternut squash as that was on several lists I’d found that were suitable for his age. The Annabel Karmel app is really good for ideas once you’ve tried a bit of everthing as its mixed things, then she has recipes that go to a year old. Now we‘re well on our way I hope to use that app a bit more 

• I have a really photo of his reaction to parsnip 😂 rhink I’ll try it again mixed with something else see if that helps, as I flipping love parsnips and his dad doesn’t so tell normally just me eating them, need to get him on my team!!! 

i do have some ella’s Kitchen melty sticks and wasnt sure but mighy check out the kiddylicuous ones too If you’re already using them!!

• Hi all. Sorry I’ve been a little quiet. Harvey has become an active little monster and isn’t one to enjoy sitting on his on or having tummy time so he whizzs around in his walker or on my hip 😂

Harvey too enjoys his food and is enjoying his 3 meals a day 🙈 I make all harveys food and his fruit snack pots and for breakfast he has boots own organic baby porridge (4-6months). I got Harvey weighed Monday (22+2) and he weighed a lovely 16lbs 7oz 😍💙

I hope everyone else and their baby’s are doing well too. Here’s a few pic of Harvey...

imageimageimageimage

• Aww Charley. Harvey has grown so much!!

Mummies I need some help and advice. I’ve been keeping in touch with my childminder and she mentioned that we would need to get Jacob to selfsooth and settle for naps on his own. Where do I start? I usually breastfeed him and he will fall asleep. 

Willing to try anything as long as it doesn’t cause him too much distress. 

TIA

• Love all the weaning chat, we started on Sunday and she’s on and off with it really. 

Charlz, I bottle Feed and Penelope has always Went down awake and self soothed, only because she refused to sleep on us so we had to go with it. It used to be really hard she’d fight every sleep but now we put her down, dummy in, comforter by her face and she might moan for anything from 2 mins up to 30 mins but we just keep going back in, replacing the dummy and not talking to her (seems cruel when I type it!) she usually eventually goes off, occasionally we might have to get her out her cot and walk around with her if she’s got worked up and distressed, wait till shes calmed down then do it again. Hopefully the other mums who breastfeed will be able to help a bit more as I know a lot of people feed to sleep and soothe So it must be a common thing to tackle  Xx

• Abel used to self soothe, but when we moved into his room and learned to roll, he won’t go to sleep without being in my arms. He very occasionally will go to sleep on his own but not often enough that I can say what it is that I do to help! So I’m hoping you can all help too, as he goes to sleep fine but when he wakes he can’t settle himself he needs to be picked up and cuddled again. 

Ive tried putting him down when he’s just about to nod off but he rolls and giggles at me 🙄 so I’m stuck as well!

• So we attempted the self soothe on Monday night we tried just to see how he would get on and it seemed too easy. He boobed. We cuddled a little. Put him in his sleeping bag and put him down with white noise and lullaby. He fell asleep within 5mins of looking around. 

Tried it yesterday 9am nap time, he cried for ages 😭 (I was also crying) and he was so traumatised for the rest of the day. Wouldn’t let me put him down. Wouldn’t look at daddy without crying but when it came to night time. Our usual routine, bath, boob, cuddle, sleeping bag and he wanted to cry when I put him down but contained himself. So I just laid in my bed and turned the other way so i wasn’t giving him eye contact and he was asleep within 10mins. (Still wakes up every 1-2hrs) but why can’t he soothe himself for naps? 😪

I dont want him crying like that at the childminders. It was so heartbreakin, I just wanted to boob him for his nap like we usually do ☹️

• Hi everyone. 
    We know quite a few of you on this thread are long time members of the MFM forum, so we would love to ask you, how can we make this forum work better for you? Please come over to this thread to tell us. We’d love your feedback, good or bad. Thank you so much. 😊

• PS we have a totally free weaning app on both Android and Apple which has hundreds of recipes - just search MadeForMums in the app store and it should pop up. 

• Hi all, loving seeing all the pics and hearing how all the babies are doing.  It’s so nice that we are all still in touch and can follow each other’s journies and see the babies growing up!

we have made our 1/2 birthday 🎊🎉  I cant believe how quickly the last 6 months have gone!! 

As for weening, we have been a bit rubbish, to be honest she hasn’t been overly ready, and we have all had a tummy bug so we ended up stopping for a couple of weeks.  Little lady really isn’t into veggies at all, she gags and spits them straight back out, where as fruit she completely gobbles up, my boy loved veggies from the word go, so this is a bit of a shock to deal with.  In fairness when pg I couldn’t stomach veggies at all, they would make me gag, although generally I am a good veggie eater.  Hubbie on the other hand can’t stand them, I am hoping to win her round 🤞

The last few days I have mixed 1/2 fruit purée pouch with 1/2 a rusk, she has gobbled that down and she also likes the organix bars oats and fruit - they sort of melt when she eats them, however we are not in a good routine yet and despite thinking I need to feed her more than once a day, it hasn’t happened yet, hopefully her Daddy will do better tomorrow.

Tomorrow I have my second KIT day at work. I would love not to have to do them, but tbh we need the money - struggling a bit with the basic maternity pay....

we have chosen a nursery, I love the fact that it is all digital, so I can log in and check on her naps, poo’s and food intake - all so clever!! It is ridiculously expensive at £57.50 a day, but I think that is average, and they are willing to be flexible with days around hubbie’s shifts.   I will be returning a couple of days a week in Jan and then 3 long days after April - as long as my Flexible working request gets approved 🤞

Charlz, I can’t help with self soothing, as luckily little lady has always been quite good at it.  When she starts getting irritable we put her down, she sticks her thumb in her mouth and nods off within a few seconds. 

Finally we are creeping up on the centiles and have moved up to the 9th centile with weight - she was 13lb14 last week.  She is on 75th centile for height.....

The last couple of days she has managed to tolerate 1oz of formula (Lactose intolerance)  I want to have her taking formula by January so she can have it whilst at Nursery.  She refuses the dairy free stuff, but in fairness it smell foul!  I will continue to bf for the interim but will drop to mornings and evening by Jan, I am crap at expressing and won’t be able to keep it up when at work.  I feel my little newborn has slipped away and time is going way tooo fast 😳

• Morning ladies, Hope everyone is doing well? 

Hope today at work goes well MrsFish and i'm glad your all feeling better. Amelie looks great and so happy and i'm sure she'll love her nursery, they're so expensive aren't they!! I'm lactose intolerant and i'm so glad the boys don't seem to have got that from me, makes life so much easier.

Sorry can't really help with the soothing either Charlz, Harry has always been pretty good at it and goes down by himself at most naps and bedtime. He has his dummy or thumb and his Giraffe and he's gone pretty quickly and if he gets grumpy I just pick him up calm him down then put him back and he's asleep within a couple of mins. 

Weaning is going OK here at the moment have started properly now and are doing veg puree at lunchtime to start with. Carrot he was unsure about, parsnip he loved and sweet potato tried yesterday for the first time and he wasn't a fan but we'll stick at it and try again later. Haven't done fruit yet but hoping Harry will be as good as Oliver at both makes it much easier when we eat out and means I'm not doing different meals for everyone. 

Can't believe where the time has gone, it feels like yesterday we were all telling our birth stories now they're coming up 6 months old. Harry sits unaided quite happily now and has started babbling especially if Oliver talks to him too. He sleeps through from 7.30pm ish to 5.30-6am and is desperate to move, it's so funny watching his little legs and bum go when he does tummy time. Hoping he's less accident prone than Oliver, whose covered in bruises and tried to knock himself out yesterday, but he'll probably be just the same. 😊

imageimageimage

• Well those photos didn't work!!

• Just been catching up on all the posts.
    We haven't started weaning yet, Luke is 23 weeks and we are holding off for 6m ish a recommended. He still isn't sitting independently and ideally would like him to be doing that first. I am however fairly prepared for it and have baby rice, spoons, bowels etc. Unsure what to do for a high chair as space is limited
    He isn't really weight bearing yet, and as I said still isn't sitting independently. Not really sure if I should be concerned or mentioning it to the HV. He is however very coordinated and has cut both his bottom teeth!