Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

July 2018 Babies

Replies

• Hey! How is everybody doing? I can’t believe my little boy is now 12 days old?!? He was weighed on day 10 and has gone from 8lb 12oz to 9lb 2oz, pretty proud of him and my boobies because that’s an impressive gain! 

How is everybody adapting to this new life? I wasn’t prepared at all for how much everything changes! I feel like life has been such a blur! 

image This is me and Arthur chilling at Nannys house yesterday. I can’t drive for a good few weeks yet so am totally reliant on other people to take me out and about, otherwise I go abit stir crazy being stuck at home!

• Emmaa09, please do PM your details as you deffo shared your story but didn't send address. 

KMH27, you look positively post-pregnancy glow going on there! What a stunning picture of both of you! Life certainly gets turned upside down when the babies show up - is anyone finding adapting tough? 

• Áine was 4 weeks old on Tuesday - I can’t believe how quickly its gone! I had her weighed last Friday and she was 7lb 6oz - she gained half a pound in a week! Getting her weighed again on Friday so hopefully she will maintain that weight gain. My little girl is growing so well! I’ll be packing away the newborn clothes in no time which makes me a bit sad 😞 

Thank you for the comforter Danielle - I will take a picture later on and post it, Áine is becoming a lot more alert now and looked very puzzled when I put the giraffe next to her yesterday 😂

Loving all the newborn pictures - we have such lovely babies xx

• Hi all! 

Gosh, all your babies are gorgeous, huge congrats!

i can’t believe my little Avaline was a month old on the 6th of August! It’s going far too quickly! She’s still quite teeny as she was only 6lb 1oz when born and we struggled with breast feeding so she lost the full 10%, bless her. Chunking up nicely now and at last weigh in last Thursday, she was 7lb 😊

I’m absolutely loving being a mum. Her dad isn’t involved and I thought I’d struggle doing it alone, but I’ve been quite proud of myself and my lovely girl 😊

• What beautiful baby photos and stories. Well done to everyone! KMH27, you do look lovely and glowing :-) 

I thought use this time whilst my little Ava is asleep to  complete my birth story. A week in hospital set us back plus visitors and Ava losing weight has made me put my phone down for a bit to concentrate on her and fattening her up!

On Mon 16 July my waters broke at 6.15pm, I felt and heard a “pop“ down below whilst I was taking a nap with my husband. I woke and shouted “WTF was that!!?” Lol and I stood up and sure enough my waters had broken. Luckily I was wearing a pad “just in case”. There wasn’t lots but I knew for sure things had started. The day before I’d had a show too. 

I called triage and they told me to call when I started having contractions 5 mins apart. 30 mins later I called them back to say I was!  We drove to the hospital and they confirmed I was 2cm dilated and to try and have a bath to help with the pain of the contractions..it helped a little however I started to get wrinkly and was “showing” in the water and felt really gross so decided to get out and lie back on the sofa bed (at this point I was put in a communal area which had a kitchen, a TV , exercise balls and sofas to relax). All I wanted to do was to lie down. I was given paracetamol for pain relief which I don’t think did much tbh. My husband had decided to have a nap too which annoyed me but looking back, I can see why he did. 2 hours later I was 9 cm dilated, I thought this is it, shes coming! However, the hours just kept slowly going by and after 2 doses of pethidine and 6 lots of vomiting, we were told we’d have to wait longer. In the end the pain was too much to bear I insisted on an epidural which was tough but gave instant pain relief which was amazing. My legs and feet ballooned, in fact my entire body looked abnormally swollen. The epi unfortunately slowed down labour even more which was so frustrating. I can’t remember what time it was when I started to push but we were well into the early evening of the next day. The midwives were saying  I was doing great but then a doctor appeared to confirm that she was still too low and I had 2 options; a c section straight away or forceps with an episiotomy (where they cut you). It was such a hard decision to make but we went with the forceps. They had to take a sample of her blood from her head to check she wasn’t in any distress and then went ahead with the procedure. 15 mins later, at 6.10pm she was in my arms! I had 10 minutes of complete euphoria and I even sang to her which my husband said was a bit embarrassing lol as the song I chose was “don’t worry be happy” but I sang with the accent hahaaaa. Anyway joking aside we knew something wasn’t right as they whisked her away and were doing something to help her breathe. It turned out she’d had a poo whilst I was in labour which she swallowed and inhaled which infected her lungs. She was incubated for a few days and treated with intravenous antibiotics. At the time they didn’t realise her lungs were infected and for the first couple of days the doctors noticed her breathing was erratic at times which they were monitoring. All of a sudden with no warning they decided to whisk her away to Neonatal to be incubated and within the hour I was discharged from my ward and sent downstairs to be with her, where I’d stay for the next few days in a ward next door to her so I could feed her every 3 hours. I was on my own and my care had stopped. It was so hard, they weren’t 100% sure what was wrong with her but when they finally confirmed it and said she’d be fine, I felt much better however little did I know that my health was declining and my haemoglobin was 74 - 2 away from needing a blood transfusion!! I’d also had an infected internal tear and could barely sit down due to the pain from the episiotomy. 

It was a tough few days but so glad she’s home. Breastfeeding has been really tough as I’m just not producing enough, she lost weight so we had to resort to giving her the bottle which I was upset about but thankfully it’s paid off and she’s been weighed today and is back close to her birth weight. I’m still breastfeeding and trying to express when I can, about twice a day but can only manage 30-40ml at a time between both breasts - she guzzles that down in the blink of an eye!

Lovely reading everyone’s stories and welcome to the newbies too. I’m off to feed my little girl. Updated photos attached too :-) x

• Crombo, sounds very stressful but glad you’re both ok, you look fabulous and shes a little beauty!!

• Oh elizabeth sorry i didnt see you had posted at the same time, same as above applies, you look amazing and have a beautiful little bubba!!

gosh didnt we all do well! we’ve all produced amazing little babies.

how is everyone doing? X

• Crombo that sounds like an awful thing to go through, glad you are both okay x

Joner I was thinking that, all little cuties, I’m not doing too well I think my c section wound may be infected, I won’t go into the gory details but I’m due to finish my antibiotics tomorrow for the internal infection I had in hospital and now I’m worried I’m going to be put straight back on them, midwife is coming tomorrow to see it so fingers crossed im just over worrying, how are you? X

• Hi everyone. I’ve just been catching up on all your messages. I’m pleased to say our little girl finally arrived on Tuesday 7th August at 5:55pm and I’m totally in love with her. The delivery was fairly quick, 5 hours in total - but I had to be induced as my body just refused to do anything on its own. The induction was brutal but do-able, had my waters broken by a doctor as the midwife couldn’t get to it, which was horrific, and was put straight onto the drip. The contractions came thick and fast, but at least it didn’t drag out and we were allowed home the same day.

Just trying to figure out feeding. I have been breastfeedlong but I find it really painful so have been giving her formula as well.

Loving all your baby pics. You all look incredible! 

• Breastfeedlong! Breastfeeding obviously - lol.

• Congratulations slash - we've been waiting to hear from you. We're so glad to hear you're both ok and baby is here safe and sound. What did you name her and how did much did she weigh? 

• Waheeeey congrats slash!!

glad you’re both ok.  

Is that all of us now??

• Joner, I do believe that is everyone. HOORAY! 

Wondering if you guys can help...we have a new member who has a 13 day old baby, and he's vomited up his feed - new member is really worried about everything - if you have any words of advice, we're sure she'd appreciate them. She's over on this thread here. Thank you. 

• Slash I had tough time with getting going with breastfeeding. I got blisters on my nipples and ended up making Arthur look like a vampire during feeds because I bled. It was all to do with latch and now we’ve gotten some advice from the midwife we are much better! The initial latch is quite painful (I pull all sorts of funny faces apparently lol!) but it’s all trial and error and I feel much more confident than what I did a week ago. Ask your MW or HV for help or see if there are any breastfeeding support groups close to you if you’d like moe support xx

• Congratulations slash! The same thing happened to me with my waters so I feel your pain with that one, definetly something I wouldn’t want to experience again, good to hear you and baby are okay 

• Thanks everyone.

Danielle - we have named her Tabitha, she was 7lb 13oz (exactly the same weight as her big sister).

KMH27 - Thanks for the advice. We had someone come round yesterday to help with exactly that (latch) and I was able to give baby a really good feed when she was here, but since then it has all gone wrong again but will keep trying.

Emmas09 - Oh no poor you too, it was really quite shocking but worth it in the end.

• Hi Mummies I have a lot to catch up, I’ve not had time to look at comments on our threads.  

My little lady is day 11 today.  Wer having a few problems.  the birth didnt go how I wanted and was very painful I only had gas and air because there was apparently no time for anything else. I ended up being cut and stitched - my biggest fear.  Anyway on the most positive note little one arrived safely and quite quickly.  She pooped inside me but luckily didn’t seem to cause too many problems for her.  

I have been breastfeeding which I have found to be very painful.  I’ve had he latch looked at, it seems most of the time we get it right but not all the time.  My nipples are in a bit of a stare and I have pain in my actual breasts, not sure how much being large breasted plays a part.  

my baby won’t sleep at night unless she’s on me in bed, we’ve had her being absolutely hysterically screaming trying to get her to sleep in her cot or basket.  

So many tears from her and me.  Exhaustion and pain on my part and feeling like a failure and a sh*t Mum at my darkest times.  

LO lost a fair amount of weight after birth and only slowly put 3ozs back on, but has since dropped weight again.  Midwife today has advised to try expressing milk and to top up her feeds with formula.  

From what I’ve gathered the Medela swing pump seems the best.  I know nothing about formula so went for cow and gate.  Midwife said 10-15mls  after breast milk.  

• Meme sorry to hear you’re having a rough time, I was having trouble getting little one to sleep in her cot, I mentioned it to the midwife and she told me it’s because there’s too much space around her and it makes them feel anxious, she told me to pull the side down on my next to me cot and put the sleepyhead inside, she’s been much better since we’ve done that. The sleepyheads are expensive if you don’t already have one but there are cheaper alternative, however my little one loves hers so in my opinion is well worth the money, I use cow and gate formula too but just because it was the one that was most recommended to me x

• I’ve thought about the sleepyheads but thought they wouldn’t be recommended as they could be considered a danger if baby rolled over and planted her face against it... however current by baby is sleeping on me in bed which is much more dangerous. We have failed with th cot and also we started to use her rocker napper basket which worked the first night but not after.