Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

July 2018 Babies

Replies

• KMH Olivia has gotten herself into a routine and she’s only just over a month, she feeds every four to five hours and will usually sleep twice during the day, then we take her into the bedroom to settle for bed at around 10pm she will settle between 10 and 11 and stay asleep until between 3am and 5am and wake then for a feed, she’ll go back down and sleep until between 8am and 10am and then she likes to get up, but I’ve found it’s only just now that she’s keeping with it, sometimes she still has days where she wont sleep at all through the day or like last night doesn’t want to settle at night 🙈image

• Hi everyone, we wondered how you're all doing? How are those babies of yours? 

• Hi ladies, I haven’t been on for ages..I’ve been finding it really hard with Ava  I love all the photos posted and have enjoyed reading your stories X

KMH don’t worry my little girl isn’t in a routine yet either. I’m envious of you ladies who are getting sleep! Ava was Sleeping during the day, sometimes her main nap would be around 2 hours but now she’s nearly 8 weeks shes only going down for around 30 mins which is very frustrating. At night we  put her in her downstairs crib at about 9pm and she’ll sleep for an hour then wake for a feed. I go to be at 10/10.30 and my husband will give her last feed around 11/11.30 then put her to bed. Sometimes she wakes at 3am but others as early as 1.30am!! then every 1.5-3 hours after that. Each time she’s awake it’s really hard to get her to settle even after I’ve fed and winded her. Last night my husband slept in the bed with me and she woke at 3.30am, I put her down at 4.30am and she went straight to sleep. She then woke at 7.30am which is really good for her. right now she’s fast asleep.  I do notice when my husband is in the bed she sleeps better (she’s in a Next To me crib). The sleeping pod I bought her also helped a great deal. Its a Purflo one which is half the price of the sleepyhead and she seems so much more content in it than without anything in the crib. I cover it with a giant Muslim cloth and then lay one folded into 3 and place it under her head in case she thows up. 

Getting out and about was really hard for me at first  I didn’t have the confidence which really got me down I‘d worry about worse case scenarios...what if she starts screaming? What if she needs changing and there are no facilities? What if I can’t breastfee? I could go on. Now i just force myself to go out with her and try and get as organised as I can. Itook her to Story Time at our local library yesterday which was nice and I got chatting to other mums, 2 of whom were midwives!

How is everyone getting on? Ava will be getting her jabs on Tues. Who else‘s babies have had them? Should I be worried?

Also, is anyone else combination feeding finding it hard? Sometimes Ava will refuse the boob which upsets me, she loves getting her milk fast! I do try and express 3 times a day with an electric pump but I don’t feel that is enough as a day‘s worth of expressing only produces 120 ml. I then give her that at night time after she’s been breastfed for 20 mins.

How long does it normally take you during an average night feed? Is an hour normal?

Also I’m want to start using the powdered formula during the day. We normally use the instant bottles because Ava is so impatient. Do I have to wait 30 mins for the kettle to boil each time or is there a quicker way? I don’t want to upset her stomach and don’t really want to buy the perfect prep machine (I would if I was solely bottle feedlong).

Sorry for all the questions but really hope you can help! Xx 

Danielle, did I PM my address to you for the gift? X

Here’s some recent photos...still haven’t managed to capture a full smile yet though! Xx

imageimageimageimage

• Ah Crombo she’s beautiful! I can’t help you with much but the formula and half an hour wait, the only thing I can suggest is if you have any thermal holders for your bottles fill up a couple at a time from the kettle and put them straight in the holders (without the formula in) they stay hot for a couple of hours and stay warm for about 3 hours, enough that you can mix the formula with when you want to use them and they’ll either be ready to use or need cooled down a bit, I do this for my little one for nighttime, I have a prep machine that I use during the day but I find it easier if I take the bottles with me on a night. The good thing about doing it this way and not mixing the formula until you need it is that the water can be heated if needed as well, i keep my bottle warmer in my room just in case. Theres still a little wait if the bottles need cooled or heated but it’s not the half an hour and then the cooling time on top of that, hope it helps any xx

• Crombo I just want to say, you are doing brilliantly you don’t sound as though you’re giving yourself enough credit! For the settling at night do you have a Ewan the sheep? It has a heartbeat sound on there and a red light which reminds them of being inside you and makes them feel safe it’s the only thing that’ll settle harry in the night (apart from being held of course) and an hour is definitely normal! with the feeding the more of the bottle you give her the less she’ll want the boob as she’ll get used to it very quickly so maybe try feeding more from you & the more she feeds from you the more milk you’ll make, with the kettle shamefully after two kids I’ve only ever used a kettle once for bottles & it wasn’t for either of my two😂 but I boiled The kettle made the bottle from the instructions on the formula filled a jug of cold water & put the bottle in there should cool it down a lot quicker but always make sure you check the temp before giving it to her, with jabs this’ll be the easiest ones as she’ll soon forget! Lily had her 3 year 4 month ones a few months ago and asked ‘why I let that naughty lady hurt her‘ 😭 when being out and about please don’t worry about it she’s screaming who cares what other people think any mums around will have been there in the past and can completely sympathise any looks you get are normally of sympathy rather than god can’t she control her baby so don’t worry and if she needs a nappy change it’s not gunna hurt her to wait until you find somewhere! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve changed lily or harry in the back of the car or in there pushchair (with a mat underneath of course)just got to be quick! 😂 you’re doing an anazing job and ava thinks so too!

• Crombo the way I make my night time bottles and some of the day ones is say I’m making a 5oz bottle I put 3oz of boiled water in and leave it to cool until I’m ready to use it (can be hours later) then I add the rest of the required water so in my case would be 2ozs - freshly boiled when ready for bottle .  It’s usually just the right temperature for baby... then I add the powder and shake.    Some people use a flask.   

Sometimes if I need it fresh I don’t always wait the 30 mins for the kettle to cool.. just means I need to run the bottle under the cold tap more and shake very well 

• Really appreciate all your help and commented ladies. I defiantly worry too much and over think, it doesn’t help either of us!

mummytolilyandharry I really want to try and bf more, trouble is when I’m having a nap or relatives are round they are used to reaching for the formula now and so is my husband. They think they are doing me a favour by giving me a break but I’ll need to get firm and say I want to try again. This all stems from her losing weight and my husband is paranoid she won’t grow! 

Bit of a random one but does anyine find when they’re typing on here from their phones that spellcheck has a mind of its own?? 🤪

• Crombo my phones spell check does 

• Mummytolilyandharry , I have the owl (Ollie?) which I think does a similar thing to Ewan. I’m not sure she even notices it or whether it makes a difference. It has the heartbeat and the red glow too. Maybe she’ll notice it when she’s a bit older. In any case it doesn’t settle her but have heard fantastic reviews about Ewan.  

i also realised the last few days I havent been drinking enough water which could have affected my milk supply so will increase my intake from now on. 

• Crombo really put your foot down with the feeding! If breastfeedings really what you want to do, I cried for 2 weeks after I stopped breastfeeding it really got me down ☹️ Ooh I haven’t heard of olly the owl! sounds Very similar! You’re right there you wanna drink as much as possible! Hopefully you start to produce more which will satisfy her :) 

harry slept from 9pm - 6am I am so shocked and I think he only woke at 6am because my alarm went off to get lily ready for school! Can’t believe it he is such a good boy! 💙

• Lovely to hear from you ladies and also that everything that I worry about appears to be normal and something we all worry about! Arthur and me have a cold at the moment, it’s horrible hearing him all sniffly and sneezy but we’re on it with the Calpol and cuddles. 

My cousin got the tomme tipi prep machine to do quick night time bottles for her little girl and she swears by it. She picked it up 2nd hand which saved ££. 

Breast feeding seems to be going well, although I defiantly haven’t mastered the subtle feeding in public!! Pretty sure the world and his dog have caugh a glimpse! Any tips for covering up better? 

• I have this little elephant that has a plastic shell, stars come out of it and onto the ceiling and Olivia won’t sleep without it, that has the heartbeat noise too but she never liked anything like that, it had to be proper music so I had to buy a radio to leave on through the night 

• Hi everyone, we wondered how are you getting on with your babies? Please do come and let us know if you’re are getting any rest, if you’ve started any play groups (or if you’ve done any bad ones!). We’d love to hear from you. 

We wanted to let you know, we have a competition to win a £200 Amazon voucher over on this thread - just tell us or share some pics of how you have changed your home.

We know quite a few of you on this thread are long time members of the forum, so we would love to ask you, how can we make this forum work better for you? Please come over to this thread to tell us. We’d love your feedback, good or bad.

And finally please do come and check out Latest Posts - you never know what you mind find there! 

• Hi ladies hope you are all doing well. Can't believe my little one is 12 weeks today he's grown so much!

any ones baby sleeping through the night ? Any tips me And hubby are up once each in night most nights 

also i so regret not staying active once I got pregnant as before I did I loved running and doing weights but have had almost a year off and would love to get back into running maybe 3 times a week! Anyone started exercise ? X

• Sandy, my little one is 9 weeks, she’s been sleeping through the night since she was 6 weeks old, she feeds every 3 hours through the day and has 6oz at a time, she has a bath every 3 nights at around 8pm and then at around 9pm she has her last feed, she settles after that and sleeps till 7/8 the next morning, but in saying all of this she has only ever used to wake up for one feed through the night anyways

As for exercise I’ve not managed anything other than walking, trying to eat healthy so that I don’t put on weight, find it hard to balance everything dont think I could add exercise at the minute aha 

The health visitor came around to my house today after eventually finding it (Ive just moved) and she thinks I’m borderline for postnatal depression, she suggested I got to some baby groups but I’m feeling really anxious about it, has anyone been to any?

On a more positive note Olivia laughed for the first time this week, it was amazing! Ximage

• Hello everyone. Do you want to be in with a shot of winning a £200 Aldi voucher? Just come and tell us what you get up to for Hallowe’en on this thread! 🎃

• ive ordered my Daughters first halloween costume, and planning to try and get some lovely photos.  I’m also gathering Christmas clothing and thinking about what I can get for her first new year 

• Meme I’ve bought a first Halloween outfit too and bought her dress for Christmas Day last week cause I couldn’t walk past it in the Disney shop aha 

Olivia loves the giraffe that we were sent, to the point where she cries if someone takes it off her imageimage

• Arthur is getting on really well. Still exclusively breastfed and chubbing up well, from today he’s in his 3-6month clothes.... even if they are a smidge too big. We still haven’t cracked day time naps, he will only sleep on me at no consistent time. Nighttime he’s a different baby tho! We start bedtime routine around 7:30/8 of bath, massage and then feed and book in bed. He’s normally asleep by 9pm and gets up around 7:30am waking once or twice overnight. Only thing is we’re cosleeping which is something I said I’d never do but it makes feeding so much easier. I need to try and nip it in the bud tho!

We’re all set for Halloween! We’re all dressing up as the Addams Family haha! 

We’re enjoying the chillier mornings tho:

• Emmaa09, we are so glad to see Olivia loves her toy! 

Meme210, so lovely to see your name pop up. How have you been?

Crombo, how are you managing at the moment? 

KMH27, please promise to share your Addams Family pic? 

How is everyone else doing at the moment? Anyone thought about weaning?