Forum home Babies Baby

February 2019 Babies

Replies

• Ah @Fayeuk that gives me hope. Hubby returns tomorrow after just 2 weeks and he works early so nights shall be interesting! And we’ve just argued (we never argue!) so that does not help!

• @MrsBeeL, funny you should say that, coz me and my husband argued yesterday, and looking back I've just been miserable for the past week, I really have been worried sick about being home alone, and I admit ive had the baby blues, which hasn't helped, but think that's over with now, but think I needed my husband to go back to work to give me the kick up the ass I needed to get out of this miserable, feel sorry for me mood thats been hanging over me, these hormones really do have a lot to answer for. Now I feel like me and my little man can take on the world. Xxx
  • I was really worried too and my partner works nights so was dreading being home at night but it’s actually really nice bonding time with u and littlen, to be honest i love having that alone time with her and making are bond but i better not tell my partner that hahaa xxx
  • Ah I don’t feel so bad now! Although I’m still sat upstairs on my bed with Emily while he does who knows what! Hormones and sleepless nights are a bad combination for us it seems!
    im also back to work this week - but just 7 hours from home whenever i want so not so bad! The joys of freelance work!
  • Hi everyone, I had my LO by emergency c section on the 23rs Feb 2019. I had a pretty traumatic birth but am just so thankful my daughter is safe and sound. I’ve struggled with coming to terms with the birth, me and my husband are going to be attending a reflections session with a midwife next week to ask questions about that day and hopefully get some perspective on it, to be able to deal with it better.

I am also currently breast feeding which has been super challenging, in trying really hard to keep going with it. But when she cluster feeds it’s just so difficult. I have a sense of guilt if I consider going to the bottle, but some days are just so hard. I get really tired and frustrated in the evenings but then I look at her and I feel so bad for feeling that way. 

Anyone feeling this way with breastfeeding? I want to try and express but have been told it’s still early as my milk supply needs to be more established. 

X
  • I’m a first time mum too x
  • Hi @MrsTK
    im sorry it was a hard birth - bopelly your session will help. Give yourself time withbit too - it’s still early days - she’s not even 3 weeks yet and it’s a lot to cope with!
    im totally that same with dreastfeeding. It’s super hard and really tiring!
    i have been told to express 1 bottle a day because my dd is tongue tied and they rathered I did one bottle feed a day (which dh does at night) than give up breast feeding totally. 
    Do you have any feeding support workers or groups where you are? Might be worth going to one just to hear other people in the same boat?
  • Hi @MrsBeeL

its just so reassuring hearing others are finding it challenging too. My husband is really supportive but says if it’s affecting my mental well being then introducing a bottle when needed isn’t a bad thing. I just feel such a sense of guilt even thinking about it, but at the same time I don’t want to be stressed and for my LO to be picking up on that.

When did you start to pump? I’ve tried albeit not for very long and not had much luck, but I know I’m producing a good amount as my LO has plenty of poos and wees and I can hear her gulping he milk. If I could provide expressed milk a couple of times it junk it would relieve me. 

Are yoy formula feeding the other tines? Does it affect your milk supply?

I have been to a breast feeding group which was quite helpful. It’s just so hard to not compare yourself to women who find breast feeding less challenging or persevere with it.

i never thought I’d feel like this having my first baby, when that was all I wanted for so long. I just want to feel happier, as we have such a beautiful blessing in our lives. 

Xx

• MRSTK  you are not alone. My baby is 5 weeks today,hes hes my 5th but only 2nd to breast feed and he is so different to my littlw girl i fed. Hes been more demanding,he feeds more often and less time so i feel like i dont stop. The cluster feesing is hard but they do it to bring your milk in faster and to produce more when there going to have a growth spurt. I to have thought many times im gna express but then just muddle through ot and think it wont be forever. If you want to express keep at trying the electric pumps are easier but you may not get any if your stressed,upset or not comfortable. Try doing it after baby has fed or after you have had a bath so your relaxed. Dont put pressure on yourself though,theres no wrong or right and you shouldnt feel guilty as long as baby is fed,mummy needs to be happy.so if you want to give her one or two bottles of formular and the rest you then you do that,you dont need anyone to tell you what to do its whats best for your family lovely. Keep steong your doing amazing x
  • @MrsTK
    im not breastfeeding so dont know anything about it but were all here for you hun and if you ever wanna chat im here! but daughters on formula and shes fine and happy on it. You just gotta do whatever makes u and baby happy just trust your gut instinct, do whats best for you both! Xxx
  • @MrsTK exactly what mummy of 5 said - fed is best, whatever that may look like!
    i haven’t introduced formula and just do the one expressed bottle a day.
    she went through clustering when my milk first came in and that was horrifically tiring and I started pumping then. Got a fairly cheap pump off amazon for £50 and it works amazingly, can give you a link if you don’t have a pump. 
    She normalised feeding after a few days, but then went into a growth spurt and I fed her 23 times a day for a few days! Long feeds too!
    but now she’s settled down again before the next growth spurt!
    ive played around with when I pump, but have found the easiest is to do it for 5 minutes after a feed - I seem to get the most the quickest that way. It’ll start slowly so don’t worry if you don’t get lots to start with - you have to establish the supply and demand!
    some days I get more - then I keep it to top up a day where I get less. 
    You can keep it at room temperature for only 4 hours though so make sure you pop it in the fridge as soon as you’re done - then it’s good for 4 days and you can still freeze it after that if you haven’t used it 
  • We put so much pressure on ourselves and constantly question of what we are doing is right but what is right is what works for you, so your happy and healthy mentaly and physicaly and then therefor your baby wilp be. All they need is food love and warmth however you give it to them. Xxx
  • @mrstk. I had a emergency c section on the 18th and im still struggling to come to terms with it. I know that it had to be done and I have a beautiful healthy boy, but I feel as though I was robbed of all my dreams for the birth. My husband and I had been trying for a couple of years for our son, and as the pregnancy progressed, I would imagine the day I went into labour, calling my husband at work, him coming home and packing the car and off we go, the excitement of this is it. Him rubbing my back and holding my hand as I pushed my baby into the world....but that didnt happen, I feel as though my body let me and my baby down. And I know people will say ive given birth etc etc... but it doesnt stop me feeling this wat, my husband understands, but I dont want to go on to much about it to him, but I sort of feel sorry for myself and what we missed out on. I also only breast fed for a couple days because of the hassle and pain of getting my husband to keep having to pass the baby, I had a lot of tears and guilt  about this but talking to my midwife really did help. I think talking about how you are feeling really does help as it helps you get things straight in your head. Xxx
  • Thank you everyone for your supportive messages.
    You are right as long as she is fed and Happy that’s the main thing. Now I just need to try and put less pressure on myself about it.

No one can ever prepare you for this, it’s such a shock to the system. You always assume it’s goibg to be easy and so wonderful like on tv. 🙈

@MrsBeeL yes please send me the link of the pump you have - I too bought a £50 one on amazon. A lot of my friends are using the medela swing but I’m not keen on spending £100+.

@Fayeuk Faye I feel exactly the same as you - only yesterday I was crying saying I feel robbed of a natural birth and maybe I’d feel different if I’d had one. I know like you it was the best thing for our little girl to arrive safely but it was such a traumatic experience for both me and my husband. I cry thinking about it. The staff at the hospital were amazing and really helped me through itnon that day. Everyone keeps saying think about what you have now because of it, but I’m really hoping the reflections talk will help us both more. I know a birth plan is just a plan which needs to be adapted to the situation but I had this whole idea of having a natural water birth, when in the end I had to be induced which was horrendous and then her heart rate kept dropping which meant an emergency c section. It was the scariest thing I’ve been through. 

Its so helpful talking to you all. Especially at the middle of the night feeds 🙈🙈

xxx

• I don’t know if anyone else felt this but that instant bond that people talk about with their baby wasn’t there for me. I know I love her and deeply care for her but it wasn’t this instant love and connection - which also hurts me because that’s what your told will happnen. My midwife was so encouraging as she said when she had her own son she didn’t feel his instant bond with him it cane with time, but again it’s another feeling of guilt and not being able to understand why I have these feelings. Sorry guys I know I’ve been quite a moaning mertyl, I’m just hoping getting it out will help me heal. Not everyone understands - e.g. family.
    xx
  • @MrsTK don’t even think of apologising! That’s the point of this space - we all need a safe place to rant sometimes and we can always do that with friends and family - and who better than a bunch on anonymous but lovely ladies who are all in the same boat?!
    i genuinely think you need to go easy on yourself! Just do your best which I know you are doing, and give yourself time. Talk it through but mostly just stop giving yourself a hard time. 
    You are the best mummy that little one can have and everything will be fine!
  • I felt distant for my daughter at first as after c section i was in so much pain i couldnt move (found out in the end they gave me the wrong dosage of painkillers i was having less than half i should of been having!) so i couldnt look after or do anything i just felt usless! Give your self time and honesty i think youll feel better. Don’t panic over things your doing amazingly and should be proud to open up on how u feeling as weve all had so many different feelings! Never hold in how u feel were here to help each other through this massive change in our lifes xxx
  • I feel like everything is moving too quickly. Like where have the past few weeks gone? It’s all moving too fast! Somebody slow it down and let me just be me for a few minutes rather than a milk producing, burping, nappy changing, sleep deprived person I’m not sure of!!!
  • I totally feel you, life has changed so much! Everyone keeps telling me it gets better...so I’m going to say the same to you 🙈🤞 we can all get through this!!!! We’re all doing a great job 🙌🏼

Just out of intetest where is everyone situated? I’m in a Leicester, in the midlands. 
    Xx
  • Im in chester x