Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

December 2019 Babies

2»

Replies

• We are in that stage where we are not sure if Casey is smiling at us or not. I can't wait till they are definite smiles. He smiles a lot in his sleep or before he poops/has gas.

Sleep is not great. He's sleeps in bed with me, and wakes an awful lot. . . .   I'm not prepared yet to try and persist with getting him to sleep in his crib. It's just easier for me to get him to sleep in my bed. Part of the night I get him to sleep in a pod (off brand sleepyhead). He sleeps bestninntjst, bit can't always get him to settle back in it.

I'm trying to space out his feedings a bit more to see if that will help with sleep. Will let you know how that goes . . . . 

Is Beth only for along twice a night for a feed? If so, that's amazing! I'm very jealous!! 

I haven't attempted to DTD! I need to just get the first time over and done with! Very romantic, I know .  . . .

We don't want to have another child either. Very happy with our 2 boys. 

Mum and baby group was very good. Will keep going to it. Its free as well. And only 10 mins from my house. Just nice to see how other parents are getting on and that some of them are going through the same struggles.

@OneBoyOneGirl hipefully you'll be able to meet up with the moms you are texting. I get what you mean about the groups being a little too far away. I thought I'd have to travel to go to groups, but luckily one just started near me. 

I'm trying to spend less now that I'm on mat leave. Going to try and budget the food shopping. I dunno about the rest of you, but we spend so much money on food! If can reduce that, will save a nice bit. I have my shopping list good to go for tomorrow. Anyone else find going food shopping exciting now, as it's an excuse to get out of the house? Or is it just me :)
  • LoomyNartiLoomyNarti Regular
    edited Feb 9, 2020 10:14AM
    Hello ladies! I hope you’re all well and your baby’s are doing great! 
    My Charlie bear is teething!! Yes that’s right, teething at two months old!! Colic has gone and now we’re struck with this. Constant gnawing of his fists. Dribbling for England. Niggly and cluster feeding when he feels like it! Calpol is all I can give right now as it seems all the teething gels or powders are for 3 months + 😫 

we had our first set of vaccs the other week and oh my god they made him soooo miserable. I’m dreading the next lot! He had to have 3 needles and an oral solution. So much has changed since my last child 8 years ago! 
  • Hi ladies - the days and nights are flying by so quickly! Hope you are all ok!

@JaneDC
    How goes the elusive sleep? Has spacing out the feedings made any difference? Our son slept in a Moses basket beside our bed for the first 3 months, but this time around, she is having none of it. So, she has been sleeping in her cot in her own room from the day she got home from the hospital. Not ideal as it meant I had to sleep on an inflatable mattress in her room as I didn’t like the idea of her being alone - only recently have I managed to move back to my own bed. Oh, how I missed small comforts like sleeping in your own bed!

On a good night, Beth will only get up twice during the night for a feed and potential nappy change. But in the last week or so, we have seen some regression in her night sleep and waking up a lot more ☹️ Hopefully just a wee blip...

Her daytime naps also changing in that she is now resisting sleep when she is clearly tired.. very frustrating! I can’t imagine resisting sweet, sweet sleep.. why would you even resist sleep when tired?? Babies can be so silly sometimes 🙃

I hope that you have now DTD and not building it up in your head! I know what you mean, you just need to get the first time over and done with and then you can start getting back to “normal” in that dept.

If you don’t mind me asking, have you had your first period yet? I had the usual post partum bleed, which was full on for the first 4 weeks, then on and off for the next two weeks. Then I got the pill, and a week after being on the pill, I got my period ☹️ Oh how very different this experience has been from first child.. both kids, both exclusively bf - with son, I didn’t go back on pill and it took about 6-7 months for periods to return (which was great!) but this time around, I got my period very quickly 😭 but thankfully not heavy, but heavy enough. Wonder if the pill has caused it? 

Are you still going to the Mum and baby group? Have finally met up with the mums and they are lovely 😊 We have a group text chat going, so it is nice to talk with other local mums that are going through the same things.

Absolutely - we are trying to spend less too since on mat leave, but if anything, despite budgeting, we seem to be spending more 🙈 Like you, I’m finding that I’m actually looking forward to food shopping as it is an excuse to get out of the house! (God, I am sad! 😂) My hubby tells me just to write him a list and he will go food shopping himself as it will be easier, but no, I want to get out of the house! Besides, he always buys the wrong thing (bless him, he tries!) and he would go majorly over budget with impulse buys, even more so than me!

How long are you on mat leave for? Using combination of mat leave and annual leave, I went off at the beginning of Dec and not due back to work FT until mid July.. can’t believe we are almost halfway through Feb already though..

We have Beth’s 8 week jabs this afternoon. Not looking forward to it, so wish us luck...

@LoomyNarti - oh my goodness, teething already?! (Gorgeous pic, btw) How is Charlie bear (and yourself) coping with it? My son didn’t start teething till closer to his first birthday, so in my mind, I’m kinda expecting the same this time around.. although I don’t know why I’m expecting that as she has been a totally different baby to her brother! 

Oh no re the jabs.. how long after was he miserable for? Again, I don’t remember them being that bad with my son 6 years ago, but this time around, everyone I have spoken to has said it has made their baby miserable.. so definitely not looking forward to it ☹️ But it has to be done.

Hope you are all blissfully in the land of nod just now 😴 xx
  • LoomyNartiLoomyNarti Regular
    edited Feb 11, 2020 4:36AM
    @OneBoyOneGirl
    its not too bad at the minute. We had two days where he was so miserable but a little calpol did the trick. We now have a happy baby boy who’s teeth aren’t annoying him! We also had our first proper chuckle yesterday and all I did was cry!!! 😂😫 When do these hormones go!? Lol. 
    He’s such a happy baby boy now so a happy baby = a happy mummy. 

Yeah the vaccs, he had them on a Friday morning and seemed fine Friday. We gave him calpol straight after as advised as the new MenB vacc causes a temp. Come Saturday he was so grumpy, off his feeds and irritable. He seemed better by Monday so it was approx 2 days. I’m dreading the next lot as it’s another MenB vacc 😫😫 he never had a high temp at all though. I was closely monitoring it all weekend and he was fine with that. Whether that was down to me giving hi. The calpol straight after or not I don’t know but I’ll give it him again right after next time! 

Regarding a period - I had slight spotting about two weeks ago, I was expecting a huge bleed but it lasted a couple days then nothing. 
    My post partum bleed only last two weeks which I was shocked at! I bought tons of packs of pads as I was expecting 6 weeks like my other two. 
  • OneBoyOneGirlOneBoyOneGirl Regular
    edited Feb 14, 2020 4:10AM
    Hi ladies - happy valentines! Hope you are all good and babies are happy and letting you sleep!

@LoomyNarti - yay, glad to hear the teething isn’t causing a problem anymore! Love that he is a happy baby, which in turn leads to happy mummy 🥰 Has the first tooth come through yet?

Aw, baby chuckles are the best! We haven’t had any awake baby chuckles yet (only when she is sleeping/dreaming(?)), just wonderful smiles so looking forward to her first awake chuckle.

Are you feeling ok? Hormones are such a pain sometimes. I also think lack of sleep and constant changes contribute a lot too. Just when you think you have sussed it out, something changes and you are onto a new phase in growth or development!

She was a real trooper for her 8 week jabs - she cried a little when she got the injections but settle quickly. However, she made us pay for it by refusing to sleep that night till 1.30am 🙈 but she slept for most of the following day, so can’t complain! Like you, thankfully no fever - lots of poopy nappies, although still waiting for the green poop from the rotavirus vaccine (but if we haven’t had it by now - jabs were a few day’s ago on Tue - then we might not get it). She is a little snuffly since, but unsure if it is a side effect of the vaccinations or if she has finally succumbed to the cold that her big brother has had... which we were doing so well to avoid it as well! Never mind..

Not looking forward to next set of vaccs either- poor babies! Necessary evil though.

How is everyone getting on with the nighttime sleeping? We get the odd 4-5 hour stretch during the night but the norm is usually about 3 hours. Sometimes if it is bad, we will get an hour in between wakings, which is super tough 🥴 Despite us trying to put her down to sleep at the reasonable time of 7pm (like her big brother), her drop off point is usually closer to 10.30/11pm 😴 xx
  • Hi all, should have come back on here to post sooner.

All is well, apart from still sleeping poorly. But somehow I still feel fine. I just ordered a sleeping bag (grobag) for Casey, in the hope that might help with his sleep. We'll put it took use either way.

Still haven't DTD, but I'm ready now! Tried to iniate yesterday, but got rejected! Hopefully will be able to report back soon, that everything is back to normal.

I've gone on the mini pill. Haven't had a period since before got pregnant. I was on this pill before, and don't get any bleeding on it. Hope it's the same way this time.

I'm on mat leave till end of September.im in Ireland. Nice to the summer off.

@OneBoyOneGirl glad vaccinations went well, apart from sniffles. 

@LoomyNarti very jealous of the chuckles!! We have lots of smiles, but no laughs.

Sounds like you are both getting on well. I left Casey with his granny for the first time (1hour) yesterday. All went well. Me and the hubby are going for dinner on sat, so wanted to do a trial run .he took the bottle from her no problem, and settled no problem, so I don't have to worry about him :) I took my other boy to get his hair cut. I got a good but taken off. He looks so different, even cuter, if that's possible :)

Had a very cute moment, where my eldest boy went and lay down next to his little brother. Hadn't seen him do that before.ten mins later though, he was putting his feet on top of Casey . . . And not listening to me when I told him to stop!! The cuteness was short-lived. But he is usually so good. I hope he stays that way.

How are your older children getting on?
  • Ok, so it's 1am. My boy has slept from 8 to 1. That's a first! 5 hours sleep! My sleeping bag arrived today, and that's what he wore to bed. It's one here you can leave his arms in, which is how I put him to sleep. When he starts rolling I can leave his arms out. Oh, I really hope that this worka to get him to sleep longer and that this isn't just a once off. 

Next step is to try to get him to sleep in his own cot! But I'll wait first and see if he can actually go a night without waking nearly every hour!!!

• JaneDC said:
    Ok, so it's 1am. My boy has slept from 8 to 1. That's a first! 5 hours sleep! My sleeping bag arrived today, and that's what he wore to bed. It's one here you can leave his arms in, which is how I put him to sleep. When he starts rolling I can leave his arms out. Oh, I really hope that this worka to get him to sleep longer and that this isn't just a once off. 

Next step is to try to get him to sleep in his own cot! But I'll wait first and see if he can actually go a night without waking nearly every hour!!!

Charlie has slept in his cot since day 1 when it’s bed time. He had his Moses basket for downstairs only. He’s been a great sleeper really but today has been the cherry on the icing. He slept from 8pm until 5:30am! Typical it was daddy’s night feed because if it was mine he would wake at his usual time of 2-3am. 

He’s had a sleeping bag too. They’re amazing! We also have a sleeping bag suit which is a 2.5 tog baby grow! They’re so good. I got it from Morrison’s for £9! Worth it’s weight in gold when it’s a colder night as it covers his arms where as a usual sleeping bag his arms are hanging out. 

I hope the sleep bag is what gets you those extra few hours sleep @JaneDC
  • Oh wow, @LoomyNarti Your boy had an amazing sleep! And of course he had an extra long sleep when it was daddy's turn to do the night feeds! It's great that you have him sleeping on his cot. 

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to trying to get him to sleep in his cot. I just let him sleep in bed, as then we can both get some sleep.if tonights sleep goes well again, I'll start trying to get him in the cot. I know I wake him up sometimes when he is in bed with me. 

He ended up waking 3 times in total last night, which is amazing for us! I'm still in shock that he slept for 5 hours straight.
  • Oh wow, you ladies are lucky with the night sleeping! We have had a total sleep regression here 😭 She naps badly during the day, totally resisting sleep where and when she can (we think FOMO 😆) as before we used to get +2 hour naps from her during the day... and night time.. we used to get her to sleep around 10.30/11pm and she would wake up 2am-ish and 5am-ish then awake 8am-ish onwards - but now, after 4/5am, she is so unsettled and wakes every 30 mins/an hour, which is exhausting and baffling since she slept fairly well before. Hoping this is a phase she grows out of quickly 🤞🏼

Beth has slept in her cot from day 1 too, but only because she wouldn’t sleep in her Moses basket in her room at night 🤷🏽‍♀️ But she would sleep in her Moses basket in the living room but our living room is freezing at night and our sofas are most uncomfortable to sleep on. So I spent the best part of her first 5-6 weeks sleeping in her room in the floor with an inflatable mattress, when she slept in her cot during the night.

The baby sleeping bags are a godsend, aren’t they?! Beth kept kicking her blankets off, no matter how much we swaddled (to be fair, our swaddling skills aren’t the best 😆), so we got her some 2.5 tog sleeping bags so we don’t have to worry about her getting cold during the night. Hope they are helping Casey sleep for longer periods overnight now.

@JaneDC Can’t believe you are ready to DTD and he said no! My hubby would’ve thought all his birthdays and Christmases have come at once (yes, that is how often I initiate it!) 😁 Well, I hope you guys have a nice romantic dinner tonight to get you in the mood!

I have also gone back on the same pill that I was last on before we had kids, and I had no periods on that the last time, which was amazin! But this time around, I had a period a week after starting the pill and feels like another period coming (only 2 weeks since last period ended) so who knows what is going on 😩 xx

• How is everyone?

Casey's sleep has gotten worse :'( he's stopped having his long sleep at the start of the night . . .  Hopefully just a phase. This morning my 2 year old decided to call into me at 5.30 and talk non stop . . . 
     It's been a long day.

Went to baby massage last week. Thought it was good. They teach different massages each week, so maybe might find one that helps him to sleep (wishful thinking).

Everything else is going well. Feels like time is flying by. Have packed away the 0 to 3 month onesies and vests. We aren't planning g on having another child, so it is a bit sad packing them away. But my friend is having a baby in the summer so they'll be put to good use then. 

• JaneDC said:
    How is everyone?

Casey's sleep has gotten worse :'( he's stopped having his long sleep at the start of the night . . .  Hopefully just a phase. This morning my 2 year old decided to call into me at 5.30 and talk non stop . . . 
     It's been a long day.

Went to baby massage last week. Thought it was good. They teach different massages each week, so maybe might find one that helps him to sleep (wishful thinking).

Everything else is going well. Feels like time is flying by. Have packed away the 0 to 3 month onesies and vests. We aren't planning g on having another child, so it is a bit sad packing them away. But my friend is having a baby in the summer so they'll be put to good use then. 

Hey! We are all good. Charlie is 3 months old on Wednesday. We took him to get weighed last Tuesday & he’s a whopping 14lbs 5oz! He’s guzzling 6oz every 2.5/3 hours. Sleep wise he’s amazing, his last bottle varies between 7-8pm then he goes down in his cot and sleeps until approx 6am. 

We mentioned his feeding habits to the HV and she has recommend weaning a little earlier with rice as he will have 6oz hungry baby formula but doesn’t want more so upping the amount is a no go. She’s told me around 17 weeks I should start. 

We have our second lot of vaccs next week too. Totally dreading that 😫 

hope you and all your babies are doing good. Xx
  • We are all good here, thanks!

oh no @JaneDC that isn’t good that Casey has stopped his long sleep at the start of the night 😭 what is his sleeping “routine” like now? Like you say, hopefully this regression is just a blip and will start sleeping longer again.

we have erratic sleeping patterns - so good nights with just 1 waking around 3/4am for a feed and some not-so-good nights where she is waking every 30 - 60 mins very unsettled.

you will have to let us know how the baby massage classes go and if you find if they are making a positive impact on his sleeping! 🤞🏼

Tell me about it, the babies are growing up so fast 😭 we are almost at the point of getting out the 3-6 month clothes. 

How is your 2 year old doing, apart from wanting conversation at some god awful hour? Our older son is still the proud big brother and dotes on her at every opportunity- but as the day progresses,and gets more tired, he will start doing things that he thinks is funny like poking her in her face as “stroking” and almost squashing her as “hugging”.

Well done @LoomyNarti that is a fantastic weight! You must share your tips on how to get our babies to sleep from 7/8pm to 6am.. that just sounds like a pipe dream to me at the moment! Can’t wait till it actually happens.. 

we have our second set of vaccines next week too and absolutely dreading them. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as I am expecting - positive thinking!

How is the teething going? Any teeth sprouted yet?

xxx
  • @LoomyNarti I'm so jealous that you get to sleep at night! I'm coping ok on practically no sleep, but it is starting to get to me now. My parents in law have taken my other boy for two nights so at least my life has been a bit easier the last 2 days. He's coming home today.

Charlie is a fine weight. Casey is 12 weeks this Thurs. Have to bring him to the gp tomorrow so will ask to get him weighed too. I'm always so curious about what he weighs. He was a 1lb heavier at birth than his brother and it makes such a difference. I only realise now how small my other son was. Casey is barely fitting into onesies at at nearly 3 months that my other son was wearing at 4 and a half months (was looking back at old photos to see if they look alike).

@OneBoyOneGirl to be honest, I don't really have a sleep routine for Casey, which is probably part of the problem, but I do bring him up to bed at the same time every night. He has a stuffy nose and a goopy eye . . .  So I think he has bit ot a cold, so maybe that's why he's sleeping worse lately.

My eldest boy is still being good 99% of the time :) he only seems to take a dislike to casey if he's upset because I wont let him do something. Then he tell me to put the baby down. But he tells me that he loves Casey, which is very cute and is always giving his toys to Casey.

I've been doing the baby massage every day but no change to sleep yet. We will learn different massages every week, so maybe I'll learn one that works. It's nice bonding time anyway and Casey seems to like it.

Good luck with the vaccinations.

So I finally DTD and it was only a little sore at the start. Once I warned up ;-) there was no pain. And we have even managed to do it more than once, (not in the same day!) but working around Casey's sleep is difficult.

• Hi everyone, quick q - are any of you using reusable nappies? Please drop me a PM if you are. 
  • @Gospel22

I only just realised that I posted in the wrong forum. Should have posted here and not due in Dec.

Noah is handsomeI! All smiles. I find it so hard to get pics of my boy smiling because as soon as he sees my phone he gets distracted!!

I'm def feeling lucky to be on mat leave at the moment. My son is also home from creche now too. First full week done with the two of them on my own. I wouldn't get a tap done if had to work from home right now. Everything is very surreal, but hopefully we'll see the other side of this soon. Having kids who are so young and unaware of everything that is going on is nice. Not a care in the world!