Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is it too late to start breastfeeding now? Baby is 4 and a half months old.

edited May 13, 2020 8:07AM in Baby
My daughter is now 4.5 months and she has never been breastfed due to complications with my health and when I tried she just would not latch on. I really really wanted to breastfeed. Is it too late to start now? I will try anything to get my supply back up. 

Replies

• You could try googling for relactation but if I'm completely honest I do feel you should be positive but keep your expectations low. I imagine you'll be able to build up a supply, but I wouldn't initially aim to breastfeed / exclusively breast feed. Just aim to relactate and 'give it a go' if that makes sense? 

You could also check to see if there are any lactation consultants in your area that you could speak to. 

Good luck 😊. 

My baby was almost 7 weeks premature so we had a tricky start with breastfeeding. I exclusively pumped for months but always had a low supply (max 20 ounces a day when pumping every 3 hours including at night) so had to top up with formula. Over the months I tried to get him to breastfeed more regularly but he'd often get really grumpy and want his bottle instead (it's much easier to drink from a bottle). Once his first teeth came through at 6 1/2 months he started biting which is when I gave up completely. 
  • I have no experience with this, but I have read that it is possible. As you seem so keen to try, you should definitely give it a go. 

If I was you, I would contact a breastfeeding expert as soon as possible. You might not be able to meet them, due to everything that's going on, but you should be able to speak to them over the phone. They can tell you how to start this process.

I am breastfeedjng for the second time, but I don't feel like I can give you any tips, as I don't want to give you the wrong advise!!

Best of luck and try not to put too much pressure on yourself.