Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

July 2020 Babies

Replies

• Options
    @thinkingpositive1 I made a list haha that the only way I rennet things these days lol. 
    It’s hard when baby won’t settle. Ella loves being on my chest too. Hubby has loads of difficulty getting her to sleep without being on her chest. They do eventually get a pattern it can take some time. Enjoy the cuddles whilst you can get them they soon decide that there too cool for it lol 
  • Options
    @MrsP13 Haha I make lists too but still manage to miss something!! 
    Aw yes that's what I've been told! I'm definitely enjoying them and feel like I'm spoiling her by picking her up whenever she fusses but I dont mind as I know it wont last forever, shes already a month old and I cant believe it! 
  • Options
    @Chloe87 that's not a bad deal hopefully you get lots of use out of it. Only used my electric one a few times and it's been decent, I like the manual one for when I'm feeding one side and can pump the other. Very cute picture!! Shes adorable. 

@MrsP13 aw, wondering how you were doing with hubby back at work.. so glad you are finding it easier than expected! Sounds like your son might take a little bit to get adjusted to not getting 100% of the attention!!! That will be nice to have the weekend with just you and baby girl! Also glad to hear your stitches have healed really well that great! How did the shopping trip go? They both look so cute and happy in the photo!!! 

Still dealing with a fussy baby, over the last 40ish hours she has just been so fussy and wont sleep unless on my chest, she usually does 2-3hr stretches in her bassinet but the last day and night has been rough.. not really sure why.. her temp is good, not spitting up any more than normal, just extra fussy and attention seeking!! Hopefully it's over soon! 

Have you googled the witching hour ? 

Olivia is the exact same ATM we had complete meltdown last night from 7-11.30 again fussing not wanting boob 😩 I was glad when she finally fell asleep on me i didn't dare move her so she slept on me all night
  • Options
    Chloe87 said:

Here is a preview of one of the photos we had done on the father's Day comp came runner up in 
    Omg!! Such an adorable picture! I love it!! We want to try to take our own photos of our little sweetness! How the hell did you prop her up like that?! How old is she in the pic? I’d love to do something similar. I just don’t know how to prop her up!! Please share the secret! 
  • Options

Hello mamas!! Wow I don’t feel so alone in my world with baby fussing! I’ve read about the witching hour and that seems to be her time of fuss. Yesterday was a tough day where we couldn’t get her to sleep and she was so overtired and it was heartbreaking to not be able to soothe or settle her. She was even fussing at the breast which is always my saving grace, so I felt defeated and frustrated. I read this article which helped:  https://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/fussing-at-the-breast/

And this quick read on the witching hour: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.welcomehomebabyllc.com/single-post/2017/11/01/The-Witching-Hour-Overstimulated-and-Overtired%3f_amp_

My babe finally fell asleep on my chest currently after she had been up for 2 hrs so tired but not able to fully settle into sleep. I fed her twice with a burp in between. She likes to fall asleep in the over the shoulder, on her tummy burping  position. I have 2 little speakers playing white noise and ocean waves. Had my husband put a blanket over the second window to make the living room darker. We have one up on the main window but adding the 2nd blanket over the other window just made the room much darker, which will hopefully help her stay asleep and not get more overstimulated by the daylight. 

I didn’t know newborns only should be awake for 60-90 min! It seems like when we were at the hospital and some of the days while home she would sleep A LOT, but things have changed of course, and it’s been harder to get her back to sleep during the day. I think what I thought was possibly colic is actually overstimulation and being over tired. I feel like I’ve learned so much these past few days and that makes me feel better bc it’s so hard not knowing. Now I know that if she’s been up for more than 1.5 hrs and she’s fussy it could possibly be that she’s overstimulated and overtired. Now it’s all about finding ways to help her go to sleep and stay asleep. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤪🥰

• Options
    The longest Elowynn sleeps is about 2hrs. Sometimes it’s only 45 min or 1.5hrs. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I think we’ve only had a few 3hr stretches! Ugh! 
  • Options
    @Chloe87 oh poor you that's a long stretch for her to be fussy for ☹ !
    I know what you mean, when they're finally asleep you dont want to make any movements or noise lol! Just read up on witching hour, seems to be what all our babies are going through! Ours is usually between 5pm-12am but then can also be between 9pm-3am!! 

@Mama2be9 aw, yes seems like all of us have fussy babies!! I was also ready about babies being over stimulated and think that's what's going on with our little one too, shes fine during the day usually but then at night she seems to be looking around everywhere and will only settle if I'm up walking around with her in my arms but then that's making her over stimulated because I'm walking around the house and shes looking at everything  and taking it all in Haha! I've been trying to give her a bath every other night around 8-9pm, some nights she sleeps really well after and some not so much so not sure if it helps! 
    That's funny that you read babies are supposed to only be awake for about an hour or 2 at a time 🤣 my baby can be up for 4-5 hours at a time sometimes. My mum said I didnt sleep much as a baby either so fingers crossed she doesnt end up like me!!!! 
  • Options
    Has any of your babes lactated? Mine has a few times and it totally tripped me out! Lol! It’s called witch’s milk and can happen to boys and girls and is from mamas hormones!! 

So what are your tricks and ways you have found to help soothe and settle your little ones?! I want to make a list so that I can have an extended tool box that I can pull from! Really it’s all about trying new things and switching things up. 

In a week I’ll be able to take a mini walk bc I’ll have hit 4 weeks since the cesarean and 3 weeks since the D & C but I’m still quite anemic so I have to take it really slow and easy....

Hows everyone else recovering? 
  • Options
    Mama2be9 said:
    Chloe87 said:

Here is a preview of one of the photos we had done on the father's Day comp came runner up in 
    Omg!! Such an adorable picture! I love it!! We want to try to take our own photos of our little sweetness! How the hell did you prop her up like that?! How old is she in the pic? I’d love to do something similar. I just don’t know how to prop her up!! Please share the secret! 

She is10 days old in this photo i think my partner was holding her up behind the blanket 
  • Options
    Hello ladies, oh I also been struggling with getting my new born into some sort of routine. But huge meal before bed time, nappy change, rocking and singing helped a lot. But its not easy when she falls asleep in my arms and then I have to put her into her crib, feels like I'm carrying ticking bomb. And I have miserably failed many times and she woke up... still trying to perfect my technique. She sleeps from 1.30am until 7am without waking up then has portion of milk and goes back to sleep from 9am until 12.30pm every day for about a week. I just want to try and put her to bed early. Throughout the day she is awake, very alert hardly has any naps, maybe just 20min ones. Swaddling and dummy doesn't work with her as she hates it. She loves daddies touch though but my husband works nights so he only fiddles with her in the morning mostly. I realised that big portion of milk before bed does the trick I feed her until she is really tired and falls asleep or declines milk, then I sit with her for about 20min, burp her, and change her nappy, put fresh clothes on and start rocking her to help her sleep if she isn't asleep. Walking around the room also helped, my husband strokes her nose gently she falls asleep immediately, but doesn't work when I do it . LOL. We indeed have very fussy babies, girls are very troublesome apparently
  • Options
    I'd be grateful for any tips or tricks we have no bedtime routine at all it's so difficult 
  • Options
    @Chloe87 We don’t have any routine at all either! I think it takes awhile for the littles to get their circadian rhythms going. I know that once they start to get melatonin from us in the breast milk, then they start to sleep better and start to know the difference between day and night. Not sure when that happens though.

My sweet Elowynn woke up after a 2hr nap from earlier and we haven’t been able to get her back to sleep yet. It’s been 5 hrs. She keeps almost falling asleep but then wakes up crying 😢  We’ve tried everything. Feeding, burping, diaper change, husband walking her, shh-shh, singing, being still and quiet. Ugh. She just fell asleep after I fed her on the breast and I moved slightly and then she woke up crying non stop 😔 The cycle begins again.... diaper change, walking to settle, swaddle her, maybe feed again if she is still awake.... but by then she will probably need a new diaper again, which will wake her up and then the cycle begins again and she doesn’t ever fall
    asleep 🤦🏼‍♀️

How to settle these precious little ones when they are so overtired and overstimulated?! I tried to do what I did earlier when she went down for 2 hrs and she fell asleep and it almost worked, until she woke up. 🤪 She seems to wake very easily when not all the way asleep yet. Once she’s out, she isn’t aroused so easily.... 

She’s crying again now...... which trick do I use now?!

I’m not frustrated. I feel exhausted by the cycle and when she isn’t able to settle and we’ve done everything we know....I just feel so sad and bad for her to be so upset and so tired and we can’t soothe her. My husband just took her bc I just tried to soothe for an hour or two and it didn’t work...... she’d fall asleep for a bit, then wake up crying, over and over. When I hit my wall, I hand her over before I get frustrated bc it’s not her fault but we are humans and have our limits. So my husband and I are trying to tag team this little precious one by working together and giving each other breaks and helping one another out. I don’t know what I’d do if I was alone trying to take care of her. I have such respect for those who are single parents! I don’t think I could do it....

This whole parenting a newborn is hard! But still worth every sleepless night and feeling lost and unsure of what to do. I adore my angel pie, even if she has her fussy days and nights. We are all trying to figure this out together. We are all learning, myself, Elowynn and my husband. We will make it through and so will all of you!!! Lol 😂 

Wishing you all the best luck with your fussy precious babes! ❤️🌈❤️
  • Options
    Hey everyone, so I can now finally join you all in this group. Our little lady made an appearance 01-08 weighing 8lb5 having to be born with forceps. He have named her Lily. Both baby and I are doing absolutely amazing, and so is daddy. We have been adjusting to the rollercoaster of a ride and are loving every second of it 💖💖
  • Options
    @Ellis90 congratulations!! Well done, Glad you are all doing well, it's a roller coaster for sure! 

As far as soothing my little one when shes extremely upset the only thing I find helps is standing/walking around with her with her head up over my shoulder and bouncing/jogging her around a bit sway swaying back and forth. I also have an old wooden rocking chair she seems to like when she's a little fussy, either laying her on my lap and rocking or cradling her. 
    It can get super frustrating sometimes but I just tell myself this isnt permanent and she will sleep through the night eventually, not her fault she is upset and she is really relying on me for comfort and that makes me feel a bit better. I am the only one who stays up with her all night which can also be a part of the frustration. 

Still not really into a routine yet, but she definitely sleeps more during the day, I've went on a few long drives with her, 45 min and a few hour and a half..  and she LOVES the car and sleeps the whole time. 

@Ayana sounds like a little daddy's girl!! How cute, my little one loves her daddy too and sometimes when I just cant settle her he takes her and she stops crying immediately haha
  • Options
    Ellis90 said:
    Hey everyone, so I can now finally join you all in this group. Our little lady made an appearance 01-08 weighing 8lb5 having to be born with forceps. He have named her Lily. Both baby and I are doing absolutely amazing, and so is daddy. We have been adjusting to the rollercoaster of a ride and are loving every second of it 💖💖
    Congratulations hunxxxx
  • Options
    @Ellis90 congratulations!! Well done, Glad you are all doing well, it's a roller coaster for sure! 

As far as soothing my little one when shes extremely upset the only thing I find helps is standing/walking around with her with her head up over my shoulder and bouncing/jogging her around a bit sway swaying back and forth. I also have an old wooden rocking chair she seems to like when she's a little fussy, either laying her on my lap and rocking or cradling her. 
    It can get super frustrating sometimes but I just tell myself this isnt permanent and she will sleep through the night eventually, not her fault she is upset and she is really relying on me for comfort and that makes me feel a bit better. I am the only one who stays up with her all night which can also be a part of the frustration. 

Still not really into a routine yet, but she definitely sleeps more during the day, I've went on a few long drives with her, 45 min and a few hour and a half..  and she LOVES the car and sleeps the whole time. 

@Ayana sounds like a little daddy's girl!! How cute, my little one loves her daddy too and sometimes when I just cant settle her he takes her and she stops crying immediately haha
    Sounds like you do the same as me I am also the only one who stays up all night it's exhausting ! Espically when the battle continues through onto the day when your alone 
  • Options
    @Ellis90 congratulations I’m so glad baby finally made her appearance. Forceps I know how you feel. I had them on my son. 
    Glad that your all doing well. 

Routines can be hard to establish. We do bath bottle bed. We still do this with my son. Great routine. We also make sure the room is dark when we go to bed and curtains open during the day, the idea is that baby can start to understand day and night 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone, we’re just trying so savour every second 🥰🥰
  • Options
    Congratulations @Ellis90!! Such a rollercoaster but so lovely all at once! So much to learn! Savor every moment! Our little one is 3 weeks and she changes everyday. So take lots of pictures!! And once you think you’ve figured something out and it works for a bit, it all changes and you have to try new things!! Haha!! Rollercoaster! 

@thinkingpositive1 Elowynn like the over the shoulder position too! Yes we use the rocking chair and the bouncing ball. Yes it’s not their fault. They aren’t used to day or night and haven’t gotten their circadian rhythms down yet, poor things. So many new things to learn and this new world is very overstimulating compared to life in our womb. That is tough staying up through the night without help. When my husband goes back to work, I will try to do more of the night shift but he says he’ll still help. I’m still recovering from the cesarean so lots of walking and bouncing isn’t something I can do quite yet. And yes thank god
    its not permanent!! Great point! Long drives sound like a good trick!!! 👌

@Chloe87 I’m sorry it’s only you taking care of her in the night and through the day. That’s a lot! I don’t know what I’d do if my husband didn’t help. It is exhausting even with us sharing the care! You go mama!! 🙏

@MrsP13 sounds like a good routine. What time do you shoot for to start that routine and have baby down by? What do you do during the day? Are naps involved? How do you put baby down for day naps? And yes getting them used to day and night with leaving curtains open is the idea, but when we do the day naps it’s nice to have it dark. We’re still figuring it out but it seems like she’s overstimulated so reducing noise and light will hopefully help keep her settled during nap time. 
  • Options
    @Mama2be9 as hubby starts work at 9am we aim to be in bed 9pm as it gives him time to sleep before his night time shift with baby and before our sons awake. During the day if were at home we have a crib in the living room that she’s put in to sleep. Depending on how much she’s eaten and how fussy she is we may need to rock her to sleep but once she’s asleep she’s in the crib. Makes things easier with looking after our son. I can’t control noise levels during the day so she’ll just have to get used to a noise brother lol. 

Can not believe it she slept for 5hours straight last night before wanting another feed. Then two 3 hours slots of sleep after feeds. Great sleep night for us.