Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

help

my son is nearly 10 weeks old and fully breastfed, i would like to start giving him a bottle of expressed milk but he wont take a bottle, i was using tommee tippee bottles but as he wouldnt take them switched to dr browns, he took that once and is now refusing to take a bottle at all, ive tried going out and leaving him with hubby and holding him in a similar way to how i would if i was breast feeding but nithing seems to work.

My hubby says if he wont take the bottle then leave him till his next feed so he gets the message that there is no other option when the bottle is offered but i cant bring my self to do that, he gets so upset and just sobs and i feel so guilty when he looks at me all sad that i just have to give in. please help.

Replies

• I'm afraid I don't have much to suggest, Millie was the same but I just gave up and carried on breastfeeding (fortunately I haven't gone back to work :lol: ) It might be worth trying the bottle when he is really sleepy in the hope that he doesn't realise what is going on, I would maybe let him play with it till he gets a bit more used to it or maybe try offering it when he isn't due a feed, if he is hungry he might not want to mess about learning something new. Mothercare sell a bottle that has been designed for feeding breastfed babies, they are supposed to be able to suck in the same way so it might be worth a try (www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000MMAGIM/sr=1-19/qid=1182793586/ref=sr_1_19/202-3822007-0485436?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44555031&mcb=core) I would definately let some one else give him the bottle for now, preferably with you out the room, if he knows the boobies are there he is even less likely to take the bottle. Good luck! Kerry
  • Hi Hayley, I had exactly the same problem and mil struggled every saturday for me. She said he eventually gave in and took it when he had tired himself out protesting so I tried lifting him when he was asleep but due a feed so he was drowsy and hungry and he took it no probs. I got the closer to nature bottles and he is virtually on them full time now (aged 16wks). Good luck x
  • Thanks ladies i will give it a go the thing is as im not going back to work half of me wonders whether its worth the hassle and as i enjoy breastfeeding (and obviously he does too) maybe i should just stick to it full time and the other half thinks it would be nice to maybe have enough time to go out and get my hair cut or pamper myself a bit.
  • Don't forget that as he gets bigger so will the gaps between feeds! I'm down to just 3 a day now, first thing, 3.00pm and bedtime so in theory I can leave Millie for ages but I still don't! After about an hour I miss her! If you aren't desperate to get him to take a bottle you could always wait untill he is a bit bigger and try an open cup, Millie took really well to that and drinks water this way with her meals (she is 10 months now) We've never used it for milk but there is no reason why you couldn't.
  • is that the slanted cup that you can get from john lewis? i think its called a doidy cup, someone recommended it to me and said its easier than trying to get them to take a beaker. Might try that when hes a bit older.
  • I have the same probs. jack gulped the first bottle he ever had no probs, i thought it was going to be easy, since then he stuggled with bottle. am changing teats and going to express daily so that my OH can feed him when he gets in from work. trying out a faster flow teat now as the size one mite have been the problem. not sure if it'll work though....
  • Millie has always had just a normal open cup but when we went away with my family she tried her cousins doidy cup and it is much easier. If you dont have a John Lewis near you there is a seller on Ebay who only charges 55p postage on them, she has loads of diferent colours as well, John Lewis only do red. I have just ordered Millie a sparkly pink one!
  • i really struggled 2 get my lo to have expressed milk from a bottle or cup and wish id introduced it earlier, the only bottle he would take was the breastflow bottle, expensive but worked for me, as my lo is older he had the bottle just a few times then moved 2 a cup, im currently trying to wean him off boob as he now has teeth!!! oh the pain, lol. xx
  • What is the breastflow bottle? Might give that a go. anythings worth a try. trouble is i cant bear to see his little face all sad when i try.
  • hi the breastflow bottle is made by first steps, i got mine from mothercare. it has thingy that fits in the teat wich kinda mimicks the milk ducts in breast, it costs about 6.99 for 9oz bottle and smaller are about a fiver. good luck xx
  • The link in my first post should take you to that bottle on mothercares website. I couldn't remember what it was called!
  • thanx for your help ladies i think i will try the breastflow bottle and if that doesnt work ill admit defeat and just carry on as i am now. Im supposed to be getting my hair cut in 2 weeks and it just about fits between feeds and if he wakes up i guess i cam always shove him under the cfape they make you wear :lol: