Forum home Babies Baby

Moving into cot/Cot Bumpers

I am trying to move my 5 and a half month twin girls from their moses baskets into their cot beds.

Have had the moses baskets in the cots for some time now and I want to try them in the cot beds now as I they will outgrow their moses baskets soon.

Tried today putting them in the cot for their naps and both girls went mental. In the end we had to put them back in the moses baskets as they became hysterical and were overtired.

I was wondering 2 things:
- Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the transition easier?
- Cot Bumpers? Both of my girls are 'bum wrigglers' and really shift around the place so I am nervous about trapped limbs and banged heads whilst in the cot. Are they too young for cot bumpers?

Many thanks

Helen

Replies

• I cant really help you much with how to make the transition easier as I put both mine into their cot in the 1st few weeks as they tended to sleep better in it than the crib I had bought but I was wondering if you had considered using a sleeping bag on them if they are wrigglers?

Hilary x
  • I had intentions of putting the girls in their cots from word go but as they were 8 weeks prem and very small I put them in moses baskets.

I have held off putting them in their cots as they wriggle around the cot so much.

Both girls are in sleeping bags but still they travel around the cot. They started off at the bottom and end up and the top facing the other direction.

The youngest has also started rolling onto her tummy, and she hates being on her tummy so that caused no end of fun for her in the cot.

Day 2 starts tomorrow!
  • Hiya try them in sleeping bags that will give them a feeling of security, it worked for me! as for cot bumpers you have to take them off when your baby starts moving (kinda defeats the purpose)!
  • I have a cot bumper for my lo, he is also a wriggler but the sleeping bag prevents legs getting caught in the slats of his cot as well as the bumper. A good trick to stop them moving too much is rolled up towels placed either side of them in the cot too. Sort of jam lo in place image
  • Thanks all. Have tried the towels but am so paramoid about her suffocating!

Today seems to have been a better day. The eldest one has taken to it well. The youngest is doing ok but threashes around something cronic if she is overtired and them flips over which distresses her.

I think it''s going to be a matter of getting used to it. If all goes well tomorrow we may even try them overnight!

Should I sleep in with them when they go overnight?