Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Night feeds

My son is 4 weeks and 4days old and is really good on a night as only gets up once during night, only problem is that he is up for 2 to 3 hours, he has his feed and brings all his wind up but then he wont go back to sleep, he lays crying and wont go to sleep. I've tried rocking him, cuddling him til he goes to sleep but he wakes up as soon as I put him down, and I have everything at the side of the bed to prepare feed as I thought having to leave the room and turn lights on might be disturbing him and waking him up too much, but he's still the same. Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep straight after his feed?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Sammi xx

[Modified by: bigmutha on 22 April 2007 20:34:41 ]

Replies

• Options
    All i can say is well done on only having to get up once in the night,he is still only young and my little man didnt sleep through till he was 8 wks.Have you tried swaddling him?Also a good tip passed onto me was to swaddle baby in a blanket that smells of you so he thinks you are close to him.I never tried it but it might be worth a try,good luck!
  • Options
    I am willing to try anything at the moment so will certainly be swaddling him in a blanket that smells of me. Thank you x
  • Options
    Does he wake at the same time every night? If he does, then maybe get to him and start feeding him before he's fully awake, then maybe he could drop off better? Just a thought and it may not work, but I know how you feel and when it's like that you're willing to try almost anything aren't you! AsAlexanders-mum said, your little man is doing really well only waking once at his age. Let us know how you get on.x
  • Options
    I would rather he wakes up 2 or 3 times but only stays up for half an hour or so. I will try that as well and let you know how he goes. Thank you x
  • Options
    Just a thought but do you put him back down and then leave him,i know he is only little still but he could be picking up on your anxiousness and making him more awake.Try leaving him for 2 mins,then gradually build it up to 5 mins before you go to him,again good luck x
  • Options
    My lo used to do this, I think that she just didn't know it was night time and wanted to play! You sound like you are doing all the right things and hopefully you will find that in the next week or two he starts going back to sleep quicker. Kerry
  • Options
    Hi. You could try feeding your lo before he wakes, if he has the same routine at night. The health visitor suggested dream feeding and it really works. You pick your little man up while he' s asleep, dont talk to him and don't put a light on if you can help it. I use the landing light but close the door to. put the bottle to his lips and he'll drink. It's abit strange cause they're asleep. you dont need to wind them as they've not gulped in air like they do when they're fully awake. And my lo doesn't even open his eyes. This should then help with his sleep and hopefully will stop the crying afterwards. I don't do this all the time as my littleman sleeps thru the nite, but if he's missed a bottle during the day, I do this. :\)
  • Options
    I'm glad someone explained what dream feeding was all about, i've never heard of it before but might bear it in mind when my lo is a bit older.
  • Options
    Hi Loopylass - glad you've found it useful! and pleased to be of help. Nic