Forum home Babies Baby

What is your feeding and sleeping routine?

Hi all, my little girl is 19 days old and i am trying to get some kind of routine in place, with feeding and sleeping. The main reason for this is because i have a 7 year old that goes to school that is 20 min away so therefore have to get a bus to school, and i need to time when her feeds will be... (she is always hungry by the way!!!)

So far her feeds differ. She has 4 oz of Cow and Gate Hungry babies. She can go 3 hours and sometimes 4 hours. And when she wants feeding believe you me everyone knows about it. She sleep well at night, but doesn't like her Moses Basket too well. She has a few hours in the day.

Just curious how and what routines people have in place and any tips they would like to share.

Thanks. Katherine and Erin 19 days. xx

Replies

• My lo is 5 weeks and generally the day goes like this....

Feeds at around 5 am and then sleeps till about 7.30/8am when she has a small feed
    Stays awake till around 10.30/11 am and then sleeps through till around 1pm
    Has another nap at around 4pm till 5.30/6pm and then bath, feed and we put her in the dark bedroom then for bedtime.

At the moment we get her to bed for around 7/7.30pm but she's new to this and it takes a while for her to settle, normally she's fast off by 9pm at the latest and then sleeps till around 1am for a feed.

This works quite well for me as I get the middle of the day to get out to the shops etc while she sleeps through it lol.

Not sure I can offer any tips as such, I let her rule the roost really and this is a routine we've fallen into by her own doing rather than mine.

Maybe it's worth gently waking her up an hour before you have to get your lo to school to give her a change and little feed - maybe after a while she'll then adapt and wake herself at that time?

xx
  • Hi again image

We put a routine in place at 8 weeks, HV said to leave it till 8 weeks and do baby led feeding/sleeping before this (he is bf though so not sure for ff)
    Couple of tips though:
    Make a note of feeding times, you might establish a rough guide to times and then work around that where possible.
    Bath at the same time every night, she might not want to sleep straight after just yet but it gets her used to it.
    Rub in Johnsons bedtime lotion - lavender helps them sleep and a nice massage before bed would put me to sleep!
    Quiet play/reading on the build up to bedtime
    Sleep in the same place each night.

Our routine now is
    7pm feed
    7.30pm quiet play in gym/read a story
    8.30pm bath and massage
    8.45pm last feed
    9pm in sleeping bag/rocked until sleepy/place in crib (1st few weeks of doing this had to supplement with a dummy but now sucks his thumb)
    9.15pm asleep!
    6am - 1st feed

Throughout the day, he's the boss and tells me when he's hungry, which is about every 2-3 hours. He has a nap about 10am 1pm and 6pm. I try to put him in his gym at the same time every day and now have tummy time around dinner.

Can you tell i like routines haha!
  • Thanks for your replies. Another thing that is worrying me, well not worrying me as such, is sometimes she will have a 4oz bottle, still be hungry. We try everything and she really does want more milk, then she over faces herself with the extra ounce and throws up. My son is 7 so its a big gap, so my little girl is like she's my first. xx
  • My lo does the same paranoidmum2b, the HV said it was fine as she wasn't then over-eating - and that sometimes they think they want food when actually they have trapped wind - however, when my little one wants food she makes it known and trying to wind her instead isn't easy as she wriggles for england! lol

• My lo does the same paranoidmum2b, the HV said it was fine as she wasn't then over-eating - and that sometimes they think they want food when actually they have trapped wind - however, when my little one wants food she makes it known and trying to wind her instead isn't easy as she wriggles for england! lol

x

This is what i am worried about. But we try our hardest to wind her and she brings up wind then is still chewing her fists. Motherhood is so worrying. MW is coming tomorrow, so will mention it to her, even though i think i may be shouted at for putting her on Hungry Baby milk!! image