Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Teaching to self-settle without leaving to cry it out???

Is there such a thing?

Theo is 11 weeks and this week he's started waking up every 1-2 hours in the night. Before he was going through til about 5 with maybe 1 or 2 grumbles. He's not hungry and if I go through and re-swaddle him and (more importantly), give him back his dummy, he'll go straght back to sleep. Problem is, if i don't give him his dummy he'll start screaming and crying so I think he's addicted to it!!!

How can i teach him to settle himself back to sleep??? Otherwise I'm getting up every couple of hours in the night and I'm shattered. Also I'd like him to be less dependent on the dummy in general. He always has it when I'm putting him to sleep otherwise, again, he'll just cry and cry.

I don't really want to leave him to cry it out so is there another solution?

Thanks xxxx

Replies

• Options
    maybe try sleeping bag instead of swaddling, is there any stuff to look at in bed (cot book?)
  • Options
    'Shush pat' worked well for us when Rachel was tiny - literally sshing her and gently patting her tummy. I never did controlled crying as I couldn't stand it.

She's also got a taggie comforter and two dummies within reach, and she's been self-settling since about 4 months without a problem.

Hannah xx