Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

To warm or not to warm??? feeding when out and about

Hi Ladies

Kyle has been having baby rice and porridge for about 4 weeks now and i want him to move onto vegetables, the problem is how do you feed your baby if you are going out for the day? If I defrost a container of veg in the morning do you give it to them at room temperature or do you have to warm the container of veg through - a little puzzled as what to do as with the rice and porridge it was simple as I added a little warm milk?

As I live quite rurally I won't always have access to facilities to warm up the feeds?

Also although i want to feed Kyle veg and fruit that i prepare i am aware that there will be times when i resort to jars of food - again do they need these warmed through!

Any tips on what to do when you are out and about would be great....thanks
Lisa & Kyle x

Replies

• you can give jars at room temp not sure about home cooked stuff, but i can't see why not the same? it's not a bad thing to use jars when you're out and about, that's what they are really meant for. hope that helps!! Em x
  • ooohh sorry just remembered my sister gives fruit and veg to her lo at room temp if there is nowhere to heat up, or if she wants a snack while in the buggy.Em xx
  • i've found that my l/o won't take home cooked at room temp. but will take a jar when we are out, maybe you could try an insulated bag for when your out to keep the food warm if your not keen on jars x.
    with the baby rice you could keep the rice in a sealed bowl then add the warmed milk when your ready to feed him... hope thats some help!
  • Thanks, I could use his bottle warming bag and really see how he gets on he has his milk at room temp so he may take his dinner like that when we're out and about
  • Hi, my lo wouldn't eat home cooked food at room temp, she doesn't like yoghurt that much due to the coldness. I take half an avocado and a banana and mash it when we are out, as she will eat that cold. Most places are very good about warming baby food. I have found it alot harder as you have to be more organised when you go out for the day now she is on solids - breastfeeding was so convienient and alot less messy!
  • Hello,
    We got a bottle/jar heater for when out and about - can only use it once when out then youve gotta boil it before you can use it again. Only used it for bottles so far but am planning on using it on jars and homecooking. We got it from tesco its made by polar baby gear. I thnk it was ??15.
    Just an idea if you want to use homecooked veg etc
  • Thanks for the info about the jar heater and about using fruit when out instead of veg.......don't know why i didn't think of that......baby brain!!! (gets the blame for everything) ha ha
    xx
  • Hi Lisa,

my lo is 4 weeks on Monday and she is bottle fed. I was really confused about making up feeds at first as the new advice is to make every feed up fresh at the time. I now make up feeds in advance and give them to my little on at room temp. I was just wondering how/when you make up your lo's bottles? and what you do when out and about?

Amy image