Forum home Babies Baby

Baby Names... do you imagine their upbringing?

Replies

• Ok i had to comment as i think i'm one of the parents who names choices you don't like. i dont take it personally btw,lol- each to their own i say. I have 2 girls. DD! is Katelyn, not Caitlin as i dont like that spelling basically. and dd2 is Lizzie. Not Elizabeth as we would never call her that-simple as.
    anyway I dont judge people on their name choices. Alot of my friends now have children, i dont class any of them into social groups (ie posh or chavs) and they have a wide range of names for their children- Llogan, freya,peter,Ellis,Peter. now it doesnt bother me at all what they call their children to me they are their names and no reflection on the type of person they will become or the background they have come from what determins that is how they are brought up in my opinion.
  • about spelling of names,

my duaghter is called hollie with an IE not a Y. we did this for 3 reasons, we like the spelling, 2) shes not a christmas baby, shes an easter baby and 3) i spell my name with an IE and my husband like it that way with hollie as its personal to us. and i DONT see anything wrong with it!!!!
  • i try not to make jugdements but when you hear some of the names parents call their children its somtimes hard. names like nike and puma are just mad
    sleepybeccie i spelt my daughters name holly thinking it would be easier spelt the tradional way but now i wish i had't as no one spells it right

[Modified by: hollypolly on August 12, 2010 09:24 PM]

• It's nice to have another Gabriel on BE. It was the 78th most popular name the year mine was born (2008).

What's your lo's middle name? My lo's is Andrew.

I don't think it's posh or chavvy. It's a great name for a boy or a man xx
  • I agree! His middle name is Kenneth after my Dad.
    Don't think it's posh or chavy either! It suits lo perfectly!
  • ive taught two gariels in 9 years. both lovely boys.
  • My ds is Ryan I haven't taken any offense from this thread either!
    I do like different spellings...but only when you can still pronounce the name, BUT I wouldn't do it as the Childs name would never get spelt right. I have a different name and have only met a couple of people with the same name- but different spellings and as a child it drove me mad that people couldn't pronounce or spell my name.
    My mw told mr about a cuple that could decide on a name for the baby so put what they'd called the bump on the birth certificate....now I really hope I don't offend anyone here but JELLYBABY! Seriously?!
    I think I am probably guilty of making assumptions based on certain types of names but not judgements if that makes sense x
  • I'm also a teacher so have definite opinions on certain names. However I work in a good school in a nice area so don't necessarily relate the names to upbringing and more to behaviour. It's so strange because the name cannot make any difference really. image Maybe you just need a couple of students that really annoy you so that you remember them.

My worst students ever have been a Callum and a Ross. Maybe I then have a subconscious feeling about all boys with those names. However the students I struggle with at the moment are called Matthew, Daniel, Isabel, Bruce and Luke - much more "normal" names.

I personally dont mind abbreviated names e.g if you like Abbie more than Abigail why not just call her Abbie...

My daughter is called Abby. My OH named her at birth as he thought it suited her. I loved it but didn't like the name Abigail. I didn't see any point calling her a name I didn't like. There was a lot of debate about the spelling. I thought Abbie and Abi sounded like shortened versions of Abigail and Abbey is a religious building. She will always have to spell it but then most people can't get our surname right anyway.

I think certain names do make you think "chavy", especially those made up. Celebrities seem to be the worst - I mean who names their child after where he was conceived (eg Brooklyn). Poor Abby would be called "Slough", "Council estate" or "Kitchen worksurface". image

H xx
  • When I was in labour we were talking about names and the mw said the worst she had was a Pepsi and another couple that wanted to name their daughter saphire but couldn't actually pronounce it properly or spell it they told her it was the blue jewel so she could understand what they meant.

Shortened names don't bother me I have an Alfie as I really didn't like Alfred and my reasoning is when he's older he can shorten it to Alf if he prefers.

I'm Rebecca but it's always been shortened to Becci. When I was younger I didn't know anyone else who spelt it like this but now I see it quite a lot. (I started spelling it like this rather than my parents) I've always kept the spelling since and it is a pain having to spell it all the time and I get asked if it's pronounced Betchi a lot or asked if it's Italian lol. For that reason I wouldn't want to give my children weird spellings. However I have a Rhys and everyone automatically spells it Reece so I still end up constantly spelling it anyway lol.
  • Jellybaby :lol: I think i'd spend too much time chuckling to make any assumptions!
  • becci your the mispronounciation of your name is the exact same as mine, mine is same way as yours is said kwim
  • Interesting thread, My DD name is Isabelle, My dad calls her Izzy for her short I dont mind but he is the only one thats calls her by it Lol

It bugs me when I constantly repeat the name Isabelle and I still get cards for Isabella Lol seriously how could they not hear me when I purposely emphasise it Lol!

Im not a fan of names like princess tiiami lol or mercedes just reminds me of her off hollyoaks Lol

Parents are responsile for choosing their childrens names but sometimes I dont think some people think about it, Anyone read the unfortunate names on the net LOL!

My names is Katie its got a new spelling apparantly Kaytee? Lol Never heard of this one, Im always getting called Catherine then I say no im Katie not short for anything Lol

• @dollywotsit : Just for the record, in my post I was using Chelsea as an example of a name used by people from all backgrounds so it was not meant to be offensive. Just to clear that up. xxx

The girls who mention different spellings, eg Hollie, not Holly show exactly what I think about spellings. There are so many variants of names and their spellings it's hard to say if one is wrong or right in my opinion! Oh and wannababy, Katelyn is the belgian spelling so perfectly fine imo! image
    xxx

[Modified by: Mitxi on August 12, 2010 10:04 PM]

• Im not a fan of names like princess tiiami lol or mercedes just reminds me of her off hollyoaks Lol

Which just goes to show how names have changed their meanings over time! Mercedes is a traditional name in southern France and Spain. The car was named after the manufacturer's daughter - rather than the daughter being named after the car! :lol:

I think it also really depends on where you are from. When I was born, Jessica was quite aristocratic in Britain (Jessica Mitford was probably the best known). However in New York, it was (and is) most popular among the Puerto Ricans. So my poor mother, aiming for an unusual aristocratic name, ended up giving me a popular immigrant name! Ah, well. The worst burden I had was being one of two Jessicas in my class - and I *hated* the other one! May that be the greatest burden any of our children have to bear due to their names!
  • my girls are called madison and isabella but are mainly called maddie and bella especially bella it is even on her peg at school.
    I did this as I loved both names and their shortened variants. I also felt that it enable them to develop within their personalities if that makes sense. When they get older they can choosee how they want to be known and like some others have said the longer versions would maybe better suited when they are in their working lives and the shortened versions for friends.

My boys however are George and Henry so cant really be shortened apart from people possibly calling henry, harry but if I am honest I wouldnt like that cos to me it feels a completely different name.

I can see how people judge though as we also live on an estate but my husband has a very good job and especially because of the boys names, people think we are snobs! As my husbands name is charles too so its 3 royal names. Saying that my husband hates being calld chaz and is known as charlie at work and chaz to me but very rarely charles.

I will be honest though it felt really unnatural on our wedding day having to say charles as I dont know him as that.

Sorry I have rambled again..... xxxx
  • I have to say when I was choosing my childrens names there were certain ones I didn't like because to me they suggested a certain background although I wouldn't consider myself particularly judgemental. I'm not going to give examples because I might upset someone. What did frustrate me is that some of the names I really liked were the same as some current high profile celebs/footballers and I didn't choose them because some people would have assumed I'd chosen them because of who already carried that name.

We called our daughter Elysia because we loved the name and it's origins but if I'd have forseen the problems people have with spelling and pronouncing it I think I may have reconsidered. My son is called Sebastian which up until I chose it I'd always condidered a "posh " name (and we aren't at all) but maybe that's because the only Sebastian I'd ever known was exceedingly posh.

However, I used to work with a lady whose married name was "King" and her brother-in-law, i.e. husbands brother was called "Wayne" ..... I'm sorry but why would you do that to someone.
  • I've been giggling at some of these - love "kitchen worksurface"!!

I used to work in cirminal law and honestly came across the worst names that bordered on child abuse (imo). Such as:

Alkaidah (pronounced Al Qaeda - mum said she didn't know what it meant but heard it on the radio and thought it was pretty!)

Littleman Warlord

Stoney Cocaine

I also once knew a family who named each of their daughters after herbs. Which was fine for Rosemary, Sage and Thyme (although that's a bit unusual) but CUMIN? Honestly. That poor girl.

re spellings, I don't really have an opinion but both my maiden name and surname now are pretty bog standard surnames but I have had to spell them my whole life -eg "P****** with 2 Ts", "B**** with no E" etc as people ALWAYS get them wrong. So it probably doesn't make much difference these days!!

C image
  • I agree about the whole 'Mercedes' name. Years ago I loved this name but only because she was a character in one of my favourtie books 'The Count of Monte Cristo' Mercedes was a lovely french name but I know that if I ever used it that it would be taken to be after the car!
    My daughter is Olivia and I thought that my inlaws would have a hard time shortening it (I didnt want a name that would be shortened) however my sil started calling her 'Livvy' I had to stop her before I killed her :lol:
    I dont really associate names with class etc...I think some names become fashionable and you find that even people from 'good backrounds' use them.
    I mean now we see Orla seems to be becoming popular in England, I am from Northern Ireland and there has always been a lot of Orlas, I have 3 cousins called Orla.
    My dad and brother is Edmond as is my cousin (although this is a family name)
    I'm rambling a little now but there are some names that are completly mental, did you see the 9 year from Australia a few years ago took her parents to court to change her name (Toula does the Hula from Hawaii) that was her full name!!!! Also things like Argos, Tesco, Sainsburys, I think that there is really no need.
  • I thought the same about Mercedes when it was mentioned. Here in Spain it's actually a very beautiful name, and nobody associates it with the car! It's a traditional name based on saints, as all Spanish names used to be. So it goes to show that what is weird for some, is bog-standard for others! Mind you, saying that I have a friend here called "Immaculate Conception" (Spanish Inmaculada Concepci????n) and another one called "Pains" (Spanish: Dolores) and nobody bats an eyelid lol
  • HI
    Good Post. Just for the record I did not think when I read this ' uh uh, the OP is trying to pick a fight' I just thought ' what an intelligent thought provoking post'

Sadly, we all judge, even those that don't admit it. From the way a person looks, speaks, their name, the car they drive etc.. I am not saying it is right but it is the way it is

As for names well, there will always be names that make you think...uhhhh chav! It angers me as a parent can chose a silly name but it is the child that has to grow up with it. A name can shape your future. The way others react to you when they know your name can determine how confident you are etc.. As for strange spellings then I am not a fan of them. I dont mind different spellings (whose to say who is right or wrong) I just mean trying to be different spellings. My son is Christopher and he was at school with a Kristofer. Lauren my daughter likes to spell her name Loren! Joseph is often spelt Josef, Joesef etc I personally prefer the traditional spelling of names. When I had my 4th child I lost a lot of blood and was unwell for a while. My OH registered him as Charlie. I was gutted. I wanted to have Charles on his birth cert. We will always call him Charlie but, I wanted him to have the choice in his adult life and it the work place to be called Charles if he so wished. My OH is called Andrew. He is Andy to everyone but at work he always keeps Andrew.

I would never tell some one I hated their kids names but I have come across a few. One poor friend called her boy charlie and then had a girl a year later and chose Lola. A year later the tv programme came out and she was gutted. I live in the Middle East and meet people from all over the world. I know ritz, sheridan, shangria, devon, orvil, tate, copper, shyn, paris, persia, lemon (really! ) and loads more than i cannot think of.

It takes all sorts !

d xxx:lol: