Forum home Babies Baby

Baby Names... do you imagine their upbringing?

Replies

• Dee Dee - We called one of our twins Alfie and he is Alfie on his bc. I have always had the view that, while everyone is quick to shorten names, there is no reason why we cant lengthen them too. If he wants to be Alfred later, he can, as with your Charlie. Whats to say he can't decide to be a Charles later, birth certificate or not?
  • l love moonbeam's idea of a serious name and a play name. My name has never been able to be shortened and I hated that growing up! Would have loved my parents and friends to have had a nickname for me for that only they used (shows a level of closeness I think). My parents already shorten my LOs name and although I use a different shortened version I think it's kind of like their little thing. As she gets older I am sure she will decide for herself what she prefers. I don't get precious about friends / family (and even strangers in shops!) shortening her name as it's just one of those things - if she wants to correct them when she is older then I am sure she will!
  • kaycee im similar in my 'proper' name is really a nickname too but my oh and close friends managed to shorten it to rix which like you say I love as its a closeness thing with the people i use it like a term of affection x
  • i think i beat all of the odd names with a family i used to teach their daughters ballet...3 sisters called

Dollie Mollie
    Honey-Bee
    Truely Scrumptious

Seriously the poor girls, they were often shortened to Honey, Dollie and Truely (still awfully odd in my opinion!)

They were a lovely family just bizarre choice of names!!!

I have a Rafferty and we call him Raf, or raffy, i love his name and think it will grow with him, my friend has just had a little girl called Olive...i couldnt stop thinking about Olive oil or Popeye!
  • i actually like the name honey (on its own) i imagine a wee blonde girl with lovely curls lol i think their parents must have been a bit fond of films lol isn't truely scrumptious in chitty chitty bang bang or something lmao poor kids!
  • i used to love tru calling. the main character in that was called tru.
  • i also work in a profession where i come accross some howlers... diesel was one of my favouries!!
    seriously though, shortening doesn't bother me, and i dont make assumptions on background, i know some posh Wil and Eds!
    i really don't like traditional names usually celtic names which are spelled sometimes very bizarely just to makle it "easier"! im also not a fan of hyphonated first names, nobody seems to do it where i live (not an englsish speaking community) so maybe that's why, but i do come across it in work. no offence to anyone intended, i just wouldn't choose to name my children in that way.
    i agree that the job you do, and the kids/ families you meet do influence you view on certain names as they become connected with those people. e.g i think Ciaran is a lovely name but for me it will forever be connected with an awful mother i came accross with work!!
  • My dd is Isabella Sophia which we get commented on makes you sounds posh so people do make assumptions especially as my names Vanessa which is an old name for my age. I'm never called Vanessa its Ness but i wouldn't like Ness on official documents, Same as dd is shortened to Bella but it suits her now and may not when shes a adult.
  • aww calliegh i
  • Isn't Truely Scrumptious from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
  • Hi Gemmie baby.... your totally right of course. He can still call himself Charles. Its just complicated in the workplace. If someone was booking him flights then they would have to put Charlie and not Charles etc. I was just pissed off with OH for not listening to my wishes.
    However, he is totally a Charlie...not at all a Charles so maybe OH was right after all..lol

how are you and your lovely boys doing?

d x
  • my oh is ciaran!!! know what you mean about celtic names they get me a lot and im from ireland nimbh is a good one lol lovely name but not phonetically how it sounds!
  • Totally g/c here but was having this converstaion in work today.

I'm a childcare solicitor and come across a lot of unusual names and spellings. LIke Riely for Riley, Mykle for Michael. I do think it just looks like the parents can't spell. I don't include different ways to spell names like hollie/holly etc in that as I think they are natural variants.

I don't have a problem with shortened names, if we have a boy he'll be Charlie not Charles but definitely won't be a Charleigh (yes i've had that too!)

I've found children have had a tough time in school being called tupac, merlin, attila, addison, cowboy and cowgirl - all names i've come across!

x x
  • omg tupac why would you - cowboy and cowgirl are wild as well!!! lol
  • Cowgirl :O you cant be serious?! Do these parents think? Really?!

• I know, Merlin was pretty bad too. Also had twin girls one called Sky the other blue as they were huge man city fans-slightly extreme!x
  • Hey MP *waves* image

How do you keep a straight face hun? I know there are awful stories that go with the children you meet but seriously cowgirl :lol: the poor child can you imagine when she's 40?!

xxxx
  • I'm one of those annoying different spelling of names people image
    My eldest dd is Abbi, I don't like Abigail and didn't like Abby or Abi (which is actually Turkish for brother) or Abbie.
    My eldest ds is Damien and I get asked all the time how to spell it.
    In fairness I grew up with a surname that everyone pronounced wrong or spelt (right word?) wrong and even now with my married name I have to spell it.
    On OP's point about juding people by their names, then yeah I'm probably guilty of it.
  • Ahh, Dee Dee - thanks for asking. Boys are fab, although teething is not a nice experience! They seem to take forever to come through and the sleepless nights are not fun!
  • I'm in MP's line of work too, and we really do get some howlers, some are child protection issues in themselves! I had one family where the son had seven first names and the daughter 11. I also come across the same names regularly, and if I met a person of that name I probably would make assumptions about that person's upbringing.

I much prefer the full name for registration purposes, even if the child is going to be known by the shortened form, but I know others don't.

PS - my sil's ex hubby was called Merlin, which was an anagram of his surname, and he was v. posh.