Forum home Babies Baby

Baby Names... do you imagine their upbringing?

Replies

• Hello DM!!

I did struggle with tupac and merlin I have to say! What's worse is having to hold my tongue when an very angry parent calls me horrified that their child's name is wrong in a report - urm Mykle!! x
  • MP and Mrs bear, i was in the same line of work too! hard not to judge at times isn't it!! x
  • I'm Jayne with a y. I hated it when growing up as I always had to correct people. But I love it now, it's slightly different than 'plain' Jane. Although now I find if I get asked my name a lot of people now ask me is it with a y. So over the years it has become used more, so maybe in years to come a lot of different spellings now will be the norm.

My lo is rhea & I love her name, it's different but without being weird, well I think anyway. I agree with all the teachers though. My 2 best friends r teachers & when pregnant they were saying now don't call lo this, they are always naughty or I had this name & they were the sweetest.

Jayne xx

• I've found children have had a tough time in school being called tupac, merlin, attila, addison, cowboy and cowgirl - all names i've come across!

x x
    i like addison. it's just like harrison, as it means son of addie (accordning to some books son of adam) as harrison means son of harry / henry. my friend named her son harrison and i had to ask her, since harry is not her husband's name, was there something she was trying to hide! :lol:

[Modified by: Calleigh on August 13, 2010 07:31 PM]

• I've found children have had a tough time in school being called tupac, merlin, attila, addison, cowboy and cowgirl - all names i've come across!

x x

G/C but I was thinking of calling bubs Addison if it's a boy as it apprently means son of Adam and that's hubs' name, I didn't think this one was all that weird :roll: maybe I'll rethink that then :\)

Cowgirl/boy is off the wall though :lol:

xxx

[Modified by: **rainbow** on August 13, 2010 06:57 PM]

• rainbow that was exactly my reason too!!! aiken means little adam, which is really cute.
  • ooh Aiken, that's one to think about image Do you have an Addison then Calleigh? Doe sit get shortedned much to Addi?

xxx
  • no, we have a girl!
  • my lo is pippa, me and dh had no intention of calling her phillipa, we just don't like the name, and she is registered as pippa, but i do think that it works both as a child and as a grown up, although we mostly call her pickle or her full name pickle popple pants lol
    xx
  • It's funny, too, as said my name is Philippa, and the other day my boss was interviewing someone (I'd say he was in his forties) who said "You look so young, I thought from your e-mails with that name you would be much older" (I'm 22).

But I think Philippa isn't a name for the young or old - I have known a Philippa in her fifties, another who is my age, and one who is about 10 years old. It's not like Doreen, Doris or Enid where you usually know they will be 60+, or Kayleigh, Lauren etc where you would usually be under 30. Having said that my best friend is called Joan and she is 22.

• My sil's best friend is called Norma and she's not quite 21 yet.
  • I like Addison, this Addison was a girl though! The mum liked friends and thought jennifer aniston was jennifer Addison! X
  • I always think of Addison as a girls name - but i think i watch too much Grey's Anatomy! image x
  • My little boy is Freddie - never had any intention of putting Frederick or Alfred on birth cert - he's just Freddie!
  • I like Addison, this Addison was a girl though! The mum liked friends and thought jennifer aniston was jennifer Addison! X

:lol::lol:
  • I have no problem with spellings, as long as it spells how the name is pronounced, if its made complicated on purpose then its more of a frustration for me, as people will never pronounced or say it right. For example my surname, if people dont know me, they NEVER get my surname correct purely because of the spelling. I despised it growing up, and its still a pet hate now when people dont get it right.

As for judging babies (or even people) by a name i would never do this, i think its unfair to presume a persons upbringing because of their name. Everyone chooses a name for their baby because they like it, you wouldnt choose a name for your baby you hated just so it gave them a better upbringing would you, or make people think this.

Also i have no problem with names being shortened, however i WOULD hate if my DS had his name shortened to a nickname, but then thats not his name anyway, and anyone that has shortened it before i have been quick to correct hehehe!! xx
  • Really interesting thread!

Of course we all make little silent judgements based on other people, names are no exception. I'm a teacher too, and sadly I've got many, many names I'd love to use for babies but never would - mainly because I've taught a child with that name and they stick in my mind too much. Ben springs to mind, it's a lovely name but I couldn't call my son that now! I taught the most scrummy little boy called Alfie, again, it's a name I love, but it would be weird to name a baby of mine Alfie because it's 'his' name, iyswim. I've taught a CoCo, and she was the most beautiful little thing with long eyelashes and poker-straight caramel hair. Mum used to say that it was because she loved Chanel and chocolate! I think being a bit different is fine, but as a parent you do have to take into consideration the fact that 're not just naming a cute baby, that name's got to serve them well through their life and one day they might want to be a doctor or a lawyer or Prime Minister, so as someone else said what's cute at 2 might not be so cute in adulthood.

As for spellings, some of them get really silly, but I don't think there's anything wrong with varying spellings. Our son's name is Jak, he's named after my dad which is why it's spelled that way. It's a super-popular name, but the spelling isn't, so when we did it we knew we'd be spelling it for people and that he'll be doing that when he's older. It'll either drive him nuts or it'll make him laugh, if he's anything like his father he'll use it as a talking point! Whatever way, he's got the name for a reason and I hope he'll be proud of it and respect our decision to give him my dad's name. His middle names are for 2 of his great-grandfathers, one from each side of his family.
  • I deal with a family at work whose little one is called Walt Disney Christmas P****!
  • smileymum......uh what do you mean???? That as a full name???? I must be getting the wrong end of the stick here.
  • just on names in general i once had a client called gaylord dance!!! (obv changed by deed poll later in life!!) suppose everyone needs life insurance!!