Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

hayfever help

Hello everyone, not been on in a while. Hope everyone is ok.

We think Frankie has hayfever and we are taking her the doctors tomorrow but just wondered if anyone had any advice. She is 8 months old and on days when the pollen count is high she has a runny nose and streaming eyes. She sneezes a lot, is very warm, goes off her food and is very clingy, Anyone had a baby this young with hayfever? Is there anything they can be given? I feel so sorry for her.

Replies

• just bumping this up for u, i have no advice hun but hope she's ok x
  • we thought Sian had hayfever so we took her to the docs last thursday & they gave us some medicine (sorry i am in work & cant remember the name) it works but does make her quite drowsy so i dont give it to her everyday, just when she is bad. Hope this helps & Sian is 9 months x
  • we thought Sian had hayfever so we took her to the docs last thursday & they gave us some medicine (sorry i am in work & cant remember the name) it works but does make her quite drowsy so i dont give it to her everyday, just when she is bad. Hope this helps & Sian is 9 months x
  • hi, Shea is 21months and developed heyfever last summer. I did take him to the docs but we decided not to give him any medicine as my doc agreed that kids can then become dependent on them.

My doc suggested (as it wasn't bothering Shea) to let him carry on and try and build an immune system up to it, and it seems to be working. This summer his eyes are only bad occasionally in the evenings - no where near as bad as last year!!

I have also been giving him local honey as this apparantly also helps with their immunity against heyfever as the honey contain the pollen from the area.
    Unfortunatly you can't give honey to an 8month old, but after a year you can.

I'm just all for trying natural remedies and immunity first before trying the medicines and it seems to be working for Shea

Hope this helps
  • Don't have advice as haven't sought help for my lo (who I suspect has it) but from personal experience I'd give the following advice:

- wipe her face with a fresh babywipe every time you come in from being out (or even occassionally while you're out if you're going to be out a while). It clears the pollen off which means less snot in the long run (i often have to resort to a shower)
    - sunglasses - when out it's a must as it keeps the pollen out of the eyes. As an adult I have wrap around glasses but all baby glasses tend to be like this (baby banz and boots own version are good).
    - change her clothes once you've been out (or use a jacket) as otherwise the pollen for the clothes aggrivates the nose.
    - dry clothes inside, not out as they collect pollen when hanging on the line - I can always tell the difference when I pick out a top that's dried outside during my worst season.
    - consider getting an ioniser fan. I found it a godsend last year when I was pregnant and couldn't take anything. hubby also found it helped him too. I had it on in the bedroom overnight but it can be good in any room where she spends a lot of time.

If the symptoms are really bad this year you may not be able to get too much improvement this year as her body may struggle to get on top of things this year, but it can help if you take steps to help early in the season next year.

good luck and hope the dr helps.