Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

airport.. taking formula through security

Hi Ladies,

I'm taking my 7 month on holiday to spain next week, but have no idea if its ok to take formula through the security bit? (As only allowed 100ml liquid) The website isn't much help, said you can buy ready made the other side, but what if they don't have my brand (he'll be on aptimil follow on. I normally have the cooled boiled water in a bottle, then mix with powder that I have measured and mix as needed. I really don't know what to do!

Does Jar's of baby food also have to be less than 100ml? how confusing!!!!
any advice/experience appreciated!! x x x x

Replies

• i have no idea, but i would contact your agent by phone and check!!! ive seen it on tv before where theyve taken the formula off passengers, then after a fuss, given it back so im not sure.....im assumin that jarred food is a no no as you cant take normal adult food on planes....so i really dont know!

sorry not much help, but id deff check with the airline before you fly

have a lovelly hol, im soooo jelous!
  • we took fin at 4 months and they do allow formula through as it is a necessaity but i think it has to be made up the amount you will need till you can make more as you(the mummy)have to test it. jars are fine as long as they are sealed. oh and airport staff are rubbish as they said we werent allowed to take any through but security were fine. nappy cream has to go in their bags to. how bloody stupid if you ask me.xxx
  • thanks ladies, so confusing isn't it!! x x x
  • Hiya i took matt away when he was 10mths to australia . Heathrow made us taste everything even the cartons of ready milk so they then got wasted. I got the number for the boots shop past security and they put aside some cartons for us the week before which was a great help. As for food its ok u just have to taste it.(Luckily i saved the baby juice till last) Going through dubai and perth airports were fine just heathrow was a bit of hassle. Hope this helps x
  • Hiya, i work in security at an airport - you will have to taste everything that counts as baby liquids - juice, water, milk, everything even if its in cartons. You won't be able to take boxes of juice though - or unlikely to.
    Recommend you take a cool bag with it all in, put cartons in your suitcase and only take literally enough for the plane journey and a spare - in bottles - or take the powder in a seperate container with water to mix. the most that'll happen to the powder is a quick test where a tiny tiny bit is made into milk paste and tested xxx
  • Plus Jars are fine not being 100mls but will be tested aswell.

That goes for yoghurts, etc. Regardless of the size, a percentage of baby food HAS to be tested. IE at bristol its a minimum of 50%. xxx
  • I think whalemummy has a pretty defininative answer there for you... I've been flying with my wee man since he was 4 weeks old (we live in Bangkok, he was born here and then we took him home to meet the rest of the family). Some good advice I was given in the early days was to take a print out of the latest version of what IS and ISN'T allowed in your hand luggage. That way, if you manage to get someone who is unhelpful at security you have the facts at your fingertips...

I laughed on my last flight back to Bangkok... At Heathrow T3 there was a notice asking you to take the liquids out of your handluggage BEFORE you get to the scanners - I was on my own with a 14 month old in an Ergo sling on my front, a rucksack on my back, pushing a pushchair and pulling along a Trunkie suitcase... No-one could tell me what hand I was supposed to use!!:lol: Whatever you take a sense of humour is the most valuable thing you can have!!

Jo