Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

10 days old and struggling with feeding????

hiya,anybody got any advice?my baby is 10 days old and she doesnt seem to be getting full after her feeds so is not settling.started her off on the first cow and gate milk and was feeding every hour , so i changed it to the cow and gate hungry baby milk but she still isnt settling off it, and still rooting round for food all the time so this obviously isnt hitting the spot either.anybody got any advice on what to do?its like living with a ganet...

Replies

• Hi Nicola, My son was like this, in the end my health visitor said he may be comfort feeding and not feeding as he is hungry. We introduced a dummy and it completely stopped. This may be worth a try although I know a lot of parents don't agree with dummys!! But I welcomed it as I was so exhausted with the constant feeding.hope this helps, Karyn x
  • hi,thanks for that i totally agree with dummies so she has had a dummy from day one,it seems to just annoy her more especially if it touches her top lip.and nothing comes out of it.we also had the idea that maybe it was a comfort thing but when she has a bottle you can hear it going into her tummy.it sounds like she is on empty,even though she had a bottle not two hours earlier......what else could it be?
  • Hi again, you really need to speak to your health visitor, as going onto hungry baby milk should fill them up for longer. how many oz's does she have in one sitting? and is she the same through the night? Karyn x
  • hi,shes fantastic throught the night get her down for about midnight up again about half three for half an hour then back down till 6 or 7 ish.shes taking about 3oz's.do you think its just a case of persevering with her for a bit longer and seeing if she settles down?
  • Hi Nicola I had the same with my daughter and thought she was doing it for comfort but she was actually hungry, I chnged the milk but also upped the amount I gave her, maybe make up 4oz bottle and she may last that little bit longer in between feeds.

Hope this helps
    xxxx
  • Oh I forgot to say was that myhv always told me with both of mine if they settled really well of a night and slept for long periods, they eat more during the day to make up for the night.

Hope this helps again
    xxx
  • Hi Lisa, she is still very young, they are little and often at that age. Their tummys are the size of a walnuts, so can't fit much in. Originally I thought she was ten weeks, so then I would say you should speak to someone but at 10 days she is still establishing her own little routine. So you just have to go with her, it wiil get better and one consolation is she is good at night, you can't beat a good sleep!!!! Good luck to you and baby, Karyn x
  • Sorry I called you Lisa!!! I meant Nicola. I was chatting to someone else called Lisa a minute ago!!!! pregnancy brain again!!! Karyn x
  • so keep her on the same milk but maybe up the amount and just ride through with her lead and see what happens????does that sound like a plan????
  • Yeah I would do that, maybe just up her milk by an oz to 4 oz's, then if she finishes that go to 5oz. It is just a case of trial and error at the mo, she will tell you what she wants and doesn't want. Karyn x
  • right then thats me sorted.fingers crossed.if it doesnt work ill be back.lol.thanks girls.x
  • Hey Nicola I really wouldn't worry yet as is still really young. One thought though are you still using newborn teats? The reason I ask is coz we swopped my little boy onto level two teats (supposedly for 1+ months) at about two weeks coz he was having to work so hard at the level 1 teats that he was faling asleep on the bottle but was still hungry so was not settling properly and would wake again very soon wanting more. If this sound like ur little un might be worth trying. Also may not be hunger, my little boy still has trouble with, am I hungry, am I tired. I also always make sure that his bottle is made up for a little more than the most he's taken before so that the feed stops when he's done not when milk has run out. Does mean wasting quite alot of feed sometimes but better than hungry baby I find. Also u need to be talking to ur Health Visitor thats what they are there for and are very helpful and nice. if u don't get on with ur hv I believe ur little one will still be under care of maternity ward til one month, is true here anyway, so u can ring them and ask advice. One last thing and I really don't mean to sound judgemental coz I know how hard it is and I'm probably wrong anyway but please tell whoever u talk to that u have switched formulas coz I'm sorry but the thought of a baby on hungry baby milk at 10 days old just makes me uncomfortable. But they will be able to tell u better than me. Good luck and let us know how u get on.
  • hi dawnie,yes she is on the bigger teats.and as for the change in formula i had to do the same with my last baby who is now one its for hungrier babies but from birth so its fine.it worked a treat with the last one.and obviosly spoke to the midwife last time she came about it.health visitor coming tomorrow morning so will have a chat to her.but got a feeling its just going to be a case of go with the flow and hope she settles down in time.x