Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

9 month old has had a cold for three weeks running..normal?

Hi just hoping for a bit of advice really..

My 9 month old caught a cold around 3-4 weeks ago that doesn't seem to be shifting.. is this normal? He has been really snotty, bunged up and has a nasty crackly cough, he has been waking up in the night two or three times but other that that he seems normal and fairly happy during the day. I took him to the doctor last week just to have his chest listened to but everything was fine there.

I'm not precious about these things (I know that having strated nursery recently he's going to pick up lots of coughs and colds) but at what point should you be more concerned, what is the next course of action if it doesn't go away? I asked the doctor these questons but he was a little bit vague. Is there anything else I can do apart from the ususal cough medicine, calpol and room vapurs etc..? Just feel a bit sorry for him bless him x

Any tips would be appreciated !

Replies

• My 10m old the same she's had a cold now for 4 weeks, she's fine in herself but similarly has the constant runny nose and coughs at night and wakes up.

She started nursery the same time and I assume its because she's constantly facing new germs but Im wondering what i should be doing about it! Was going to take her to docs on Mon but I know there's nothing she can be given as its not bad its just ongoing.

Inka xxx
  • Hi there, my 9 month old is the same as yours and sadly always has been. He seems to pick up everything going and it takes ages for him to shake colds. Then when he eventually does, there's another one around the corner so it feels like he's constantly suffering.

I think you have most things covered really - calpol, karvol room vaporisor etc. I also use baby Olbas oil in his bath to help with the sinuses.

My baby is particularly susceptible to runny noses etc when teething so it may be that the actual cold has run its course, but teething has kicked in and the running nose continues?

Hope he feels better soon
  • hi, my 5 months old has been sick for what seems like ages. couch, mucus, runny nose, and very bad stuffy nose, especially at night. so bad he cant breathe which means, sleepless night for everyone. i have tried vicks on his chest, under his nose at night to try to clear his nasal cavity, let the hot water run in the bathroom so its steamy to try to loosen him up. ive stayed away from the milk, trying to avoid mucus building up, but it doesnt seem to help.

we went to the Dr. last week, she listened to his chest and everything was clear. she suggested we continue playing the waiting game, due to the fact that there isnt much she can do. i just dont understand. why is he so congested for so long. 5-6 weeks now. i almost feel like its just something im doing wrong, as this is my first time. ive disinfected the house. we dont have any pets, we dont smoke in the house... no mold, no new paint.. i cant come up with any reason for him being so congested. please, any advice helps.