Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning LO off dummy at night time

Well my LO is just over 5 months and for the last couple of months have been giving him a dummy as he no longer has his night time feed. This seeme dto be going fine as he wouldnt wake for it until 4 or 5 am but now hes waking more often and earlier! Last night he woke up half 10! the earliest ever for his dummy and now ive realised its become a prop which im pretty angry at myself for. I now dont know what to do?! If i give him him dummy he settles instantly but can be a matter of minutes or if im lucky hours before it comes back out again and he starts crying.

Has anyone weaned a baby off a dummy during the night? If so PLEASE how did you do it?!

Replies

• Options
    hi iv never given my boys dummies so its just an idea but if u give it to him during the day as well for naps and wen hes awake try weaning him off it during the day, then at night time he might not want it as often as he is getting used to not having it in his mouth. like i said its just an idea coz iv never had to deal with dummies but good luck!!
  • Options
    Hi, are you sure it is the dummy and not that he is teething? My lo seems to chew his dummy (or gum his dummy anyway!) when his gums are hurting and he has started waking a bit more at night recently. He is sometimes instantly settled by having his dummy put in but on bad nights I have been putting some teething gel on.

If it is the dummy he is using as a prop to get back to sleep then it may be a case of having a few bad nights where you leave him to settle himself again to get used to not using it. x

• Options
    Kara is starting to wake as well now for her dummy at night time but this is due to teething. She usually spits it out when she is really tired and sound asleep but will eventually waken for it. If she wakes up she puts her hand in her mouth until she gets her dummy. As soon as I put it back in she goes straight to sleep again which I don't mind as long as she is not in pain. I do understand though as it is hard waking to give her the dummy a couple of times. Until she started teething she never looked for it in the middle of the night.

I would say that you might have to stop giving it to him and let him settle himself but if its teething its not fair as he could be in pain and it soothes him.
  • Options
    also if he has been poorly this can wake them a lot too xx
  • Options
    Thanks girls, I donthtink hes teething, hes already got his two bottom teeth and no signs of anymore as of yet. Think the poorly thing could be to do with it. Anyways ill see how the night goes tonight..fingers crossed not too bad!! x
  • Options
    You are very brave weaning him off at such a young age however I do sympathise with you over the dummy out and waking crying issue. My lo is 9 months old and has a dummy up until recently she was almost sleeping through the night but since she has learnt how to crawl and stand in her cot she now seems to be waking more frequently and not able to find her own dummy starts crying! we have tried hard love and left her to see whether she will settle herself but at the moment she just won't. when she reaches a year old I intend to start weaning her off the dummy by not letting her have it at daytime nap time and gradually removing it at night.
    Good Luck and I hope it works well for you
    xx
  • Options
    Hi

How did you get on with not giving your LO a dummy? Did it make the night times easier. I am having the same problem with my 5 month old so need a few tips.
    Xx
  • Options
    I have a dummy problem too and i'm knackered.. She really seems to need a dummy for comfort, won't sleep at anytime during the day or night without it and screams until she gets it.

We were told to give her a dummy as it helps reduce the acid production for her reflux, which unfortunately she still has.

So here's the problem, she now sleeps from 9pm ish until 5.30am which on the surface seems great but the massive problem is that she wakes crying at least every hour wanting her dummy put back in, so I actually get less sleep now than when she was feeding every two hours! she is now 5 months.

I 've tried letting her cry but the longer I leave her the louder she becomes and she even gets to the point where she makes herself sick when she has got that worked up......anyone know of any suggestions to stop her asking for the dummy at night so I can sleep pleeeeeaaassssseeee?

:?