Forum home Babies Baby

Sorry Poo question????

Hi all, Summer is over 7 months and has 3 x SMA progress and 1 x 8 oz bottle through the day together with breakfast (half a jar of porriage), dinner (toast or bread) and tea (half a jar and half a youghurt).

She had a stomach bug last week which cleared up on Saturday. She had runny nappies for a bit but today and yesterday when she went for a poo it was so big it was hurting her (to be honest i think it would hurt me too lol!!!!). She was crying her eyes out when she was passing it but stopped as soon as it was out. I had to help her sorry TMi. Any ideas on what i can do to help her wihtout her being in pain? Any foods to avoid, any help would be great. Thanks

Replies

• Poor little mite!
    Not experienced this as my lo is only 4 months and bf. But I have heard that you should give your lo some cooled boiled water as a drink when using formula as bf gives babies a drink then food so can pass their poo easier. (Always TMI!)
    I think they also recommend it anyway as you'll want to encourage your baby to drink from a cup soon so you're ready to get rid of the bottles.
    Like I said, don't know from experience but I've read it on a few sites.
    Hope that helps!
  • The poor wee pet she must have been in agony. Amy used to suffer from constipation a lot when she was around Summers age. We found that bananas would have made her a bit constipated so we replaced them with kiwi fruit that is supposed to be really good for the bowels. We also used to get her the wee cartons of innocent smoothies & drinking one of those everyday would have helped to keep her regular, even though there was a small amount of banana in them.

Hope that is of some help

Hilary x
  • Hi shell, my lo is nearly 7 months and has always suffered from constipation, she is on lactulose but that is not doing anything. I used to give her 2oz of boiled water with half a teaspoon with brown sugar but i was advised yesturday that brown sugar now causes gum disease ( why do HV change there minds in the space of 3 weeks ??) so the HV advised me to give her an oz of pure orange juice on its own with no water a day so have started to day. If she carries on being constipated like brookesmummy said keep on with the boiled water and maybe try the orange juice or she also recommended prune juice. Its hard to see them straining i know i see it every couple of days hope she gets better soon x
  • Prune juice is great for lo's when they suffer from constipation but one thing to beware of if you do try it is that if they spit it out or you spill some, it stains & can be really hard to get out. I did find that Amy preferred it to the orange juice though

Hilary x
  • Thanks for your replies i'll try the prue orange juice as i'm having problems getting water down her.
  • Hiya, dont know whether this works for babies too but my 10 yr old daughter has a terrible problem doing a pooh (a while ago she sounded like she was in labour it hurt her so much). Doc asked whether she drunk enough fluids- never even considered this as you automatically think of food associated with pooh- and no she wasnt drinking enough.
    She has a pure juice at least once a day and i try to get as much squash and water down her as possible.
    Hope your lo gets better soon as its horrible to watch them in so much pain