Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breathing Funny.....

Hello everyone, I am really concerned about my little boy who is 10 weeks old. I have noticed right from the start really that his breathing can sometimes be quite shallow, like he needs to clear his throat, especially after nighttime feeds for some reason. Sometimes it can sound as though his throat/breathing is constricted, esp when he is trying to sleep after any nighttime feeds. It is really scaring me. I am taking him to the docs tomorrow but just wanted to see if any other mums had babies with funny breathing (ie, is this a common thing with babies?). Thanks xx

Replies

• babies breathing rates are different to adults, sometime deep sometimes shallow breathing, i wouldn't worry too much about it, unless he is wheezy. my lo's breathing is all over the place, especially when he is tired. do u notice his breathing more at night because there is no other noise like there is during the day??
  • I think it is def more noticable during the night as there's no other noise but I have been taking extra notice and for some reason it definitely is more constricted at times which happens to have been at night recently). I don't think his breathing is wheezy as such, aahh god I am driving myself mad trying to analyse it!!!! It could b that some milk may keep getting caught at the back of his throat which he hasn't swallowed properly or something. I am so paranoid!
  • my lo has always sounded grunty snory when he sleeps and has done from day 1
    almost like he has a really bad cold, i worried it could be asthma as bf had it as a child but doc said he was fine.
    get it checked out though if ur worried, its prob normal but will put ur mind at ease. xx
  • my lo went through a funny breathing stage at about 4 months, he sounded really wheezy when he breathed in - it was horrid, i took him to A&E & they checked him out, it was nothing, it was put down to vocal cords being wobbly in babies. it went away eventually. defo get it checked out just in case.