Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Goodnight milk - Which do you use? - up-dated!!!!

Hi guys

My neighbour gets Cow and Gate Goodnight milk and said its really good so last night I tried Bertie on the HIP Organic Goodnight milk and put his Gaviscon in so it settled well as it is very very thick.

Anyway he woke up 2 hours later and wouldnt settle as he was crying in his sleep and he had wind. I got him up and gave him gripe water and he played in his playpen for half hour and then we went back to bed and he was fine.

Im sure the Goodnight milk gave him tummy ache, has anyone else found this? Do you think its coz I was using the HIP one and not the Cow and Gate one?

Gxx

Well I tried the HIPP milk again last night at 7pm and without the gaviscon to see if the gaviscon was too thick. Poor Bertie has been crying all night, no - not just crying screaming! He has been so poorly, at one point at about midnight he actually vomited loads up and thankfully had an hours sleep afterwards. There is definately something that doesnt agree with him in it. I am going to stay with him usual milk from now on.

Gx

[Modified by: GeorgieD on 09 February 2010 08:39:03 ]

Replies

• We've been using Hipp Goodnight Milk for 6 months without any trouble at all.
    But what suits one baby, won't necessarily suit another. Maybe it was the combination of milk and Gaviscon?
  • We used the cow and gate goodnight milk for about 4wks, and it didn't make any difference at all.

My friend recommended the hipp one, so I tried that again for 4wks but it made no difference to how he slept either.

Lo was on the comfort milk anyway though, so it was quite thick.

I didn't find that they give him tummy ache, just that they didn't work!
  • we use the hipp one as i'm at work at her bedtime, and it makes no difference to how she sleeps (or doesnt sleep)

I tried the cow and gate one, and its more expensive, stinks foul, tastes powdery and MJ hated it - she'd refuse it and spit it out.

xxx
  • Poor Bertie, does sound as if something isn't agreeing with him. Think you're right to stick to regular milk.
  • as it is very very thick.

Hi
    We've not actually found it to be too thick - and we know we're making it up right -even with gaviscon in it MJ can get it out of the bottle very easily through a size 3 teat... it is thicker than normal milk which is why they say to use a larger teat, but a size 3 does MJ image

you dont say how old lo is, but this milk isnt recommended for babies under 6 months... its to do with the different milk proteins used to make it.

If it affects him like that though then I would def stick to his normal milk!

xx
  • HI

We used a size 3 teat too and it came out of the teat fine its just the milk was noticably thicker than his usual aptimal stage 3 milk. I made it up both times as it says on the tin by putting some of the water in first then adding more later, Bertie is 6 months but it may be that his digestive system is not yet developed enough. A few months ago I added some baby rice to his bottle at the suggestion of someone on here and he got ill then too, I looked on the tin and HIPP organic also includes rice so that may be it.

Anyway its all good now, he has been crying all day but he this afternoon he finally had a poo and has been smiling since so I think (hope) its all out of his system.

Gxx
  • could he have a bit of constipation? MJ did when she started on solids and she still has to have a small dose of lactulose now to help her poo normally..... it added to her screaming and wind at night so it could be the cause of your lo's?

xx