Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

pick up put down help please

hi ive heard about this method to help baby learn to sleep through can someone explain it to me please as my 6 month old still doesnt sleep through. i did controlled crying with my oldest and that worked like a dream but i cant do that this time as they share a room and it would disturb her and i really feel she could sleep through but wakes out of habit thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi, we've used PUPD a bit with Al - it basically works on the theory that if they are crying you go in and pick them up until they are calm again and then put them down, still awake so that eventually they settle themselves. It worked well for us although sometimes we were going in and out for 45 mins, but Al does settle himself so I'm glad we persevered. Hope that helps! x
  • Options
    Hi, we started this last monday and so far so good. Instead of waking 4 or 5 times a night, amelia now goes from 7pm to 5am ish (she will then come to bed with me until 7am), saturday night though she slept straight through.
    You put lo in cot awake, if they cry pick them up, once they stop crying put them back down. If lo cries on way back down into cot, still put them down then pick them straight back up. We do this for 20 minutes then leave amelia for 10 mins, even if crying, if not settled go back and start again. It can take a while but after about 3 nights we saw a definate difference so I would recommend this. We follwoed this technique as I'm not a fan of cc, amelia just worked herself up into a right state. If she now wakes in the night, I give her a few mins to see if she'll resettle and normally she does.
    Google 'baby whisperer' and theres a great website that will give you more details
    Good luck