Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

moved into own room......what a night!!!

my LO is 16 weeks and decided that last night he was moving into his own room, he settled lovely, it was me that was a nervous reck about him being on his own and I felt like the apron strings ahd been cut. lol
Anyway it turned into a nightmare usually he sleeps through, but if he does stir iin the night I usually put his dummy into settle him. Anyway 12.30, 1.30, 2.30 and 4.30 he was crying for his dummy as it had fallen out. Each time he was awake I must have gone into him at least 3 to 4 times to put the soddin dummy in...... I did leave him to cry for a few mins between me going into him. I'm so tired this morning,, but he's full of smiles!!! He still loves his mummy!! I hope the dummy doesn't become the bain of my life cause I really don't want to be getting up every other hour to put his dummy back in.

What have other peoples experiences been??? Any tips or suggestions would be most greatful!

Thankyou

Replies

• you have basicaly answered your own question. The dummy has to go. If he was waking for the dummy several times a night when he was in with you then he wasn't sleeping through IMO. Unless you want to spend the forseeable future getting up & down to put the dummy back in then he has to be weaned off it. It wont be easy but it will only take a couple of days IME to get his dependance on it broken.

Basically put him down without it, then just sit & comfort him when he cries, eventually he will go to sleep but will probably wake a few times but you just do the same, no dummy, lots of cuddles & shushes then straight back to bed when he has stopped crying. It usually takes at least 2 nights of CONSISTANCY but it will work.

Good luck with it.
  • Beebee.

I totally agree with you..... the dummy is off!!! I know that It will take a few nights for it to work, but I'm prepared to put the work in so that he sleeps through! Because he was in his crib at the side of me, I must of just been putting his dummy in without even waking up myself. I know he's not waking up for feeds it's just the dummy.

Anyway I've just told him that the dummy is going.... he just gave me a gummy smile in reply!! LOL
  • my lo is 18 months & does still wake in the night for his dummy & always has done (although he can somtimes find it himself). so if you can give it up now - then i would. although i think you'll have to go it up totally (day time as well) to be consistent. this is why i've never given it up, coz when my lo kicks off when we're out, the dummy is the only thing that keeps him quiet. xx
  • sounds like you made your mind up already but i agree the dummy has to go. i had the same thing my lo when he first went into his own room, it was a few difficult nights but now he never has a dummy. i do give him teddy that he chews on, might be worth thinking about as you can leave it in the cot next to him.
  • well he's gone down for a nap, fell asleep without the dummy!! I think your right, it'l have to go in the day as well...... that will be a toughy... it's my saviour in the day at time. I'll put a teddy in, worried about him covering his face up with it tho
  • ljgreg if your worried bout a teddy covering his face why not try something like a muslin cloth to replace the dummy my lo has one and has always settled himself off to sleep with it like so rub his cheeks against it and also if he does put it over his face he can still breath through it still in my room at min (10wks) but its sooooo big he cant loose it so does not wake for it hope it helps x x x
  • hi, i stopped givin my lo his dummy on a night cause i was getting sick of putting it back in. he has it during the day sometimes but he usually just sucks his thumb.
  • I'm such a crap mum... He went to bed without the dummy and never woke til 5.30, that when it became a battle of wills over the dummy and guess what........ mummy caved in! Although he did keep the dummy in, I also gave him a muslim square to snuggle up to and he kind of used this to prop it in. I don't think he did bad though to sleep from 7.30 til 5.30 without the dummy. He didn't have it at all yesterday, we'll get there in the end (fingers crossed). You should of seen the look the mil gave me when I told her my plans about the dummy, whats the saying......... if looks could kill!!!
  • I don't see a problem in using the dummy in the day for emergency situations & also use it if lo wakes very early too so don't beat your self up about that. You have done really well & so has lo.