Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Go back to work or not??

Hi

I'm really confused about what i should do about going back to work? I was set on not going back but i had a call from a friend today (who i used to work with) telling me that he was moving to a different office and his job had been split down and shared out so there will be a job opening for 12 hours per week (3 days of 10am till 2pm). He will be my new boss and said that the job is really flexible, if something came up with my lo i can just call in and switch my day etc. He said he knows that i didnt want to come back but thought that this would be ideal for me as it gives us a bit of extra cash and doesnt affect my lo too much as its only 4 hours for 3 days.

The money will definitely be very helpful as we would only just manage if i didnt work but i was so set on not working and being at home with my lo, i feel guilty for thinking about going back. This job sounds perfect for me though and i wont be missing out on much with my lo as its only 12 hours per week. If only maternity pay lasted forever, i would have to consider going back!!!

What would you do?

Sorry about the essay but needed some other peoples opinions.

Replies

• as you say sounds like a really good oppurtunity. i unfortunatley had to go back and dreaded it. but now that ve been there a few months i really enjoy my time in adult company. xx
  • hi i had to go back too and at first didnt want to but by the time it came to when joseph was 6 months and i went back on monday i have to guiltily admit i love it!! its me time and adult company and i appreciate joseph so much more. i work full time too xxx
  • I wouldn't miss this opportunity, I reckon flexible jobs are rare. I'm hoping that my firm is true to its word when its time for me to go back. Why not give it a go see if it actually is as good as it sounds and if its not working out simply hand in your notice.

Good luck if you decide to go back.
  • hi i must be the only one who really wants to go back to work i so miss it, but then my lo cries for england all day every day and is driving me slowly mad, don't get me wrong i enjoy being with him but would would love adult conversation, i get a full year off on full pay but i want to go back part time and would lose money to go back now how stupid is that. so don't feel guilty
  • tarnya, if you go back would you have to pay for child care? would you actually be making more money? if you would then i'd go for it, it sounds like a fantastic opportunity, unless you really don't want to of course. i do enjoy getting out of the house for a few hours a day but tbh i wouldn't do it if i didn't have to!
    annaHR it's great that you have a job that you love and you must work for a good company to get a years full pay, sooo luck image x.
  • I dont think i would want to miss going back either, its nice to be able to spend time with grown ups (on your own) my LO is 3months and i go back in 6 months time, but only part time instead of full time (i work in the civil service so i've got Flexi time and really good HR dept.) I think i will appreciate LO better if we have those 3 days apart cos at the mo i havent spent any time away from him.
  • i am sooooo looking forward to going back to work was going to go jan but decided beg of dec i am a nursery manager and miss adult conversation too my lo will be coming to the nursery with me so i can spend some time with him during the day as well am soooo looking forward to it dec needs to come quicker dont get me wrong love spending time with lo but will still get to do that at work plus ADULTS to talk to lol def go for it!!!!!!!!
  • i have to agree by the end of my maternity i was starting to go stir crazy and my poor husband's ears would be ringing when he got home coz he was usually the only adult i had seen alday. i love my lo to bits and find that on my days off i reall enjoy the time we spend together. she goes to my sil's and she just loves it their as she has i little boy of 4 who lo loves.xx
  • i think it'd be really hard to go back to work if you didn't go back within a year. Sounds like a great oppertunity to only work part days and just 3 days which are flexible - i'd go for it and if it dosent work out then you're not missing out on much cause you wern't going back anyway.
    Good Luck hope it works out for you
  • i dont want to go back, but money is getting v. tight. i would love such a flexible oppourtunity. you do get help towards you cc costs as long as its a registered nursery/childminer they go to but havent looked into it fully yet. a little of the subject but does anything else think thats unfair?? what about grandparents etc who look after lo??? they should be entitled to something. i know they proberly want to do it but in the words of tesco every little helps!!
  • Thanks so much for all your replies. I wouldnt have to pay childcare as my mum would have lo, i wouldnt bother considering going back if i had to pay childcare as it wouldnt be worth it. I'm going to have a good think about it over the weekend and see how i feel on monday morning.

Thanks for your advice x