Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

bubbles in bottle

My hubby and I made up Joshua's first bottle and as he was nearing the end of it I noticed the milk was frothy and bubbly. Surely this would give him wind? Is it normal for the end of the bottle to be like this and if so do you just not let them drink the last bit? It's our first baby and we are pretty clueless!!

Debbie and 2 day old Joshua

Replies

• Options
    If you let the bottle sit for a few minutes, the bubbles will probably disperse. If you find the baby is windy, you could put a drop of Detinox (colic drops) in the bottle. It is meant to stop wind. You can actually see it break up the bubbles in the bottle. I believe it's good from newborn, but double check the box or ask a chemist.
  • Options
    I agree, the bubbles will go if you wait a few minutes. However if you are paranoid, or feel that they are causing your baby to be windy, you could try Dr Brown's bottles. They have a little tube that goes down the middle, allowing the air to go into the bottle but at the bottom instead of into the milk. We had to get them and they are very good, but expensive (about ??10 a pair) so depends how you feel. Colic drops might be enough, you will know yourself once you see how windy baby gets.
  • Options
    As the other ladies have said, the bubbles usually disperse if you leave the bottle for a few minutes!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, unfotunately having looked at the leftovers from last bottle an hour ago there are still lots of bubbles. Will ask MW tomorrow.
  • Options
    I would suggest using the mam bottles, as they are anti colic and have little holes in the bottom that let the air disperse therefore not causing any excess wind for the baby. I have those and Dr Brown ones for Poppy and I do not notice a big difference between them and the mam ones are prettier and easier to clean!
  • Options
    I use Dr Browns & there are never any bubbles in the bottle. My son suffered from really bad colic & changing to these helped massively.