Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby refusing milk

Does any one elses babies dislike milk. Daisy has her fair share of problems including being diagnosed with silent reflux. Used to drain 4 8oz bottles but i startd weaning at 17 weeks she is now 25 weeks and her milk intake has dramatially reduced. I havnt had to worry about cutting out a milk feed as shehas done it herself, but some days i am struggling to get the recommended 20 oz s in. I do all the usuall things like hiding it in feeds and make up 5 oz and put in fridge every day to add to her solid feeds, i just wondered if any one else had gone off milk. We were advisedto give her fresh juice in water from 10 weeks as she has allways been v constipated, and now she would just live on juice if we let her, she probably has 18 oz juice and water a day!!!

Replies

• Options
    hi, can't offer advice from a personal point of view but a friends baby only drank 10oz of milk a day, she really didn't like it and her mum tried all the milks on the market. in the end cos lo was weaned she was advised to give plenty of fromage frais, yoghurt, cheese as they all contain calcium. can't remember the exact figures but one petit filous sized fromage frais equalled about 4oz of milk!!!!! my friends lo is now 30 months and still refuses milk but is a very healthy TALL toddler.
    sorry i can't help more. x
  • Options
    My mum said my sister always hated milk and practically had none after 6 months. She still hates milk. I think if you can manage to put it in Daisy's cereal then she will be fine. My red book says that babies on 3 meals should have 16-20 oz of formula milk. Have you tried that Goodnight milk? Apparently babies are supposed to like that more than normal milk. So if she would take 8oz in the evenings then that would be a help xxx
  • Options
    Jack has only been havin 2x7oz bottles since about 5-6 months as he wont have any more and sometimes not even this much. He has 3 meals a day i make his cereal up with formula and splash a bit of full fat milk in his meals. I also put butter and milk in when im mashin or pureeing and he has 2xyoghurts. My hv said this was fine xxx
  • Options
    Matthew has 3 x 6oz a day. cant get him to have anymore and he still leaves a bit in each bottle. I add milk in his food and give him fromage frais. HV told me to do that so he is getting a bit more milk. xxx
  • Options
    Wanted to reply to this yesterday but oh hogging computer as working from home......

Anyway Charlotte wont drink much milk. I've now cut down to 3 milk feeds a day as she's on 3 solid meals and I was finding it hard to give 4 milk feeds to keep her intake up.

I now give her 5oz at brekkie + porridge then 8oz mid afternoon and 8oz at bed-time, so she really has to finish all bottles (bar 1oz) to get her 20oz intake. This worked the 1st day so I thought great, but this morning she only had 2oz of bottle. Grrrr!!

I find it really frustrating and my hv doesn't help much either.
    I worry about her not getting all her nutrients from the milk. I have just changed her to C&G follow on milk from being on SMA.

I try not to show Charlotte that I'm frustrated with her or "force" her to drink the milk. If she doesn't want it I stop. I don't want her to associate stress with eating and to become a fussy eater.

I must admit though because of this I don't really like feeding her milk (which is a shame as it is a bonding experience), plus I have been in tears many times when she just wont drink it!!

I can't wait until I can stop giving her milk.:roll:
  • Options
    Thank you ladies its good to know im not the only one struggling!!!! I think i might put daisy on follow on milk from next week as she will be 6 months then. My mumkeeps saying it doesnt matter and that some babies just dont like milk but i too worry about the vitamins. I understand that follow on milk has extra iron in it so that is my main concern. She gags on yoghurts and cereals but fortunately still loves baby rice which i mix with apple or pear and milk.
    I think i was reading lots of posts on here about how to drop milk feeds and it had me worried as Daisy would rather not have milk at all.
  • Options
    Morgana is not keen on her milk since she's been weaned. The most I manage to get into her now is a bottle mid morning the part of a bottle at night, though she mostly doesn't drink much of it, so all day I'm lucky if she has about 12oz. She has full fat milk on her cereal, milk and cheese in her cooked food and yoghurts, just to make up for it. I tried everything, but she just won't drink more.
  • Options

hi all my daughter jasmine has not had any milk now for six weeks,she is thirteen monthes old ,she will not have her cereal anymore ,tried about 6 different brands and most of the soy milk on the market also sheep milk all to no avail, she has plenty of vegetable juce .refuses cheese and yoghurts..she has been eating solid food since three monthes old and has been on 3 good meals a day for the last six monthes.had her to the doctor as i was ( am still ) worried .she has scab or sores in the corners of her mouth,the doctor said it was vitamin b deficancy becouse of the lack of milk .