Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Straining and pushing

Hi Everyone,

This is Dad this time with a question so I hope you mums can help?

Our lo is just over 6 weeks and for the past three weeks has episodes where he seems to strain and push really hard to poo, it occurs in the early hours and on into the day sometimes. I've read about colic but he doesn't cry with any pain, so I don't think that's the cause.

He's breast fed so his poos are the nice yellow runny ones, so there's no trouble in that department, and he is regular.

I have read that he "hasn't learnt to poo yet" they mentioned that because he groans when he pushes, he is using his diaphram and belly to push.

I have tried the leg cycle which brings out loads of poops, so I thought "trapped wind", bought some infocol about two weeks ago, but no improvement. Spoke to HV but she didn't seem to say much about it apart from all babies do this...........I'm sure they don't?

So any ideas as how to relive the little man of all that poop gas.........someone said once he starts crawling around he'll pass the wind through his pipes and it should calm down?

Replies

• Options
    hi loui4's dad, my lo is 11 weeks and just gone through exactly the same thing. (she nearly looked like she was going to blow up from going so red in the face LOL). My lo usually poops every day but this time she didnt for 3 days. She has been this morning and i was swimming so she was with my mum and from what i saw on her clothes it was better i wasnt there LOL!!

I took her to be weighed and asked hv about this and she said most babies do this and then have a good clear out and you will def know about it!!!

Last couple of days and has been reccommended to me is warm water ac ouple of oz every day even if she isnt constipated and also a bit of gripe water in the water so it has a little sweet taste to it but think it has to be warm.

My mum also found this morning so she told me was when she was straining she laid bubs onto her tummy over the knee and this seemed to work a treat.

Good luck what a great subject we are on here lol!! I think once you have a baby you become an expert on poo NICE!!!
  • Options
    Hi Dad

We have exactly the same thing quiet regulary, about 2 hours after she has fed. My LO was 6 weeks early and the only thing the HV had to say on the topic was that her digestion system hasn't caught up with her appitite.

It's horrible to watch and I've yet to find the magic touch which will relieve the pain (it looks painful as she cries, screws up her face and goes bright red). Generally all I do is comfort her with a soothing voice and cuddles. After about 5 minutes, and several farts, she normally calms down and will settle back to sleep.

Her nappies are the normal mustard colour and regular so as long as that continues I don't worry and just comfort her as best I can. If that was to change I would go to the doctors.

Hope this helps