Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Black out blinds for nursery

Hi

I am new to Baby expert. I am due on 16th May and hoping that it will come on time. I have everything ready in the nursery but i have been reading the Gina Ford Contented baby. It says that a baby's room should be in total darkness. I do have shutters over the windows which do a great job, but there is a tiny gap and i am worried that it will wake baby up during day sleeps. Am i worrying over nothing or do you think black out blinds are the way forward just in case?

Your advice would be appreciated

Kerry

Replies

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even with blackout blinds you still get a wee bit of light peeping from round the sides or top & bottom. I would imagine your shutters are better than any blackout blinds.
    To be honest, daytime sleeps need to be in daylight with normal background noise etc, bedtime at night is in darkness with real quiet. It helps them learn the difference between day and night quicker and believe me - you'd rather the baby slept well at night than in the day!
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Kerry,

Joe was a May baby and we've always had blackout blinds in his room, he's 3 this time and still has them! That said his rooms have always been quite bright whereas yours sounds dark already. My advice would be to see how you go on without one cos you can always get one at a later date. Just a word of warning with blackout blinds, we found that when we went away when he was smaller he struggled to settle as the room was so much lighter than he's used to. He's fine now but when he was smaller it was hard work!

Good luck with your baby!!
    Zoe
    xx
  • Options
    gina ford is really useful but her regimes can be really strict. if your baby isn't doing what she/he's supposed to it can be even more frustrating having a book with gina ford telling you you're doing it wrong! Use the advice to help you but go with the flow and trust your instincts otherwise you won't get chance to enjoy your baby!
    We had a blackout blind for our first one but not our second.
    Our first one had really thin cream curtains that didn't block out any light at all so the blind was quite useful. we recently painted his room and bought him new curtains so we got rid of the blind and although its not completely dark in there it's dark enough for him to go to sleep.
    Sounds like your shutters will be more than enough.
    Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy amd the birth of your baby.
  • Options
    We have light curtains and I was worried that my lo wouldnt sleep when the lighter nights came in but it doesnt bother him at all. He is usually sleeping by 7.30pm and its still light at that time now. I think his routine of bath, bottle and bed makes him understand its night time and by that time he is shattered anyway and could probably sleep anywhere.

• Options
    We don't have a blackout blind in Coles room - just dark lined curtains but light still comes through. Cole sleeps fine with them, and when he was in our room (we have light curtains) we stuck blankets over the windows just to make it a bit darker.

I don't want him to get used to sleeping only in total darkness because we are going camping next month and he needs to be able to sleep while its light.. plus I spent years as a kid with dark dark curtains and it took me months to learn to sleep with lighter curtains.

We figured if we needed a blind we could always get one but wouldn't bother spending the money if we didn't need to - I'm glad we didn't bother
  • Options
    We pinned a dark sheet to Morgana's blind when the clocks changed to make it darker, but not completely blind out black and she seems to sleep just fine with it. She has slept all through the night for a few months now (about 7pm til 7am) and I never followed Gina Ford - far too regimented and I would have just got myself into a right stress if my lo wouldnt follow it, we just went with the flow and it turned out just fine image
  • Options
    Great. Thanks to everyone that has given me some advice. It is really helpful to hear from you have little ones yourself. I shall stick to the shutters only. Thanks also for the advice on Gina Ford. I am nt going to follow it word for word but just as a guidance. I do not want to be controlled by a book.
  • Options
    Hi

I've always put Ellis down during the day with the light coming in so that he knows the difference between day and night. I've only just brought some black out blinds as when the clocks changed the lighter nights messed him up a bit so i made sure it was dark in his room when he went to bed at 7pm (although, you still get a little bit of light coming in). Ellis is 9 months now and still has 3 naps during the day and because he's used to it being light when he naps this means he will still nap if we are out or at a friends.

Good luck xx