Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Milk and solids

Hi,

Really struggling with my lo at the moment. I have been weaning her for about 6 weeks now and she is on 3 meals a day. She normally loves her milk but over the last few days she has been taking much more solids and hardly touching her milk. I spoke to hv and she said that as long as she takes 20oz of milk a day then thats ok. Problem is that I'm lucky if she takes more than 4 oz at her feeds. Her feeding is as follows:

8am - 7oz bottle (only takes 4oz) and some porridge
12noon - half a jar of meat/veg mix and a yoghurt or banana custard then 3oz milk
4pm - 7 oz bottle (only taking 2-3 oz at moment)
5.30pm - supper - half jar of veg and some yoghurt
7.30pm - 7 oz bottle (only taking 5oz) max
10.00pm - 7 oz dream feed (sometimes has this and sometimes refuses)

Can anyone try to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• hi love having same problem but faith hates her milk and is not butting a lot of weight on she 18 weeks on 3 meals a day take 4 bottle a day she take 3to 5 oz each time . i have bin told by hv to put milk in her food offer her bottle before she has her meal. how is your baby weight and how old and you are not doing any thing wrong you doing a good job. it just are children driving use mad
    cazmac10
  • Lily is 7 months old and this is what we do:

Breakfast- 7oz milk (sometimes only taking as little as 4oz) and ready brek made with 2 oz of formula
    Lunch @ 11.30
    Milk @ 2-3pm 5 oz
    Dinner at 5pm
    Milk @ 7pm 8 oz

We found that by giving less bottles throughout the day, she would take more. Also if she hasnt had a lot in a day we hide it in her dinner and give her fromage frais.

Hope that helps,
    Serena and Lily
  • Hi,

Ella is 6 months old now and when weighed at 23 weeks was 17lb 6 oz. She has always been a good weight and loved her milk.

Will try to add to her food a bit then and see if that helps. Might also bring her lunch forward slightly in time. Its maybe because she has a cough and her teeth are just under the gum line now. Will see over the next few days.

Thanks
  • Might just be her teeth to be honest. Lily wouldnt take much for a couple of days just before she cut her first tooth.
  • Did she still take her solids and drop her milk when teething? She just point blank refused her bottle just now so I put on some teething gel and still nothing. Will try her at 10pm but thats 10oz I still have to give her today to be at the 20oz a day minimum.

Hope she sleeps through ok tonight.
  • hi babe i couldnt get daisy to take morethan 4oz the other week and i realised that i had changed her onto cow and gate follow on milk thought it would be beter for her. changed her back to first milk and she is much better. i can get about 18 oz in her now. she not a greedy baby doesnt eat loads but i have to give my milk feeds seperate. If she doesnt take a lot of milk i add some to a rusk and some fruit puree and she eats that, she doesnt like yogurt and she didnt like cereal but now if i put fruit puree with half a weetabix i can mix this with abot 3 oz also i get a dairylea triangle mash it up with some milk and baby rice and give her that after her first bottle i then give her her breakfast 2 hours later. I find it hard to believ that 2 months agoshe would drainan 8 oz bottle first thing now she pushes it awaysurely she must be hungry. you didnt change your formula like me did you. Also sorry i know i go on but daisy cut her first tooth last week so that might be why??
  • Hi westbrom,

Yeah - I changed her to follow on last week but she was fine then. I really think its her teeth as today she screamed blue murder when I put her down for a nap and just wouldn't settle. I'll give it another few days and see. Might change back to first milk next week and see if it helps.

I'm pretty sure that she is going to get her bottom teeth and top not long apart as the roof of her mouth is pretty white with redder gums in parts.
  • aah bless her. i used3/4 tin of new milk and shegradually got worse without me realising. next morning i offered her bottle she refused to take any and it was her oldmilk so i put some in her cup and let her taste it andthen offered her bottle again and she took it. prob daisy being difficult but i just stick to original milk now i find it a big enough battle gettingdaisy to sleep withoutbattling to get her to have milk. Hope she settles down soon. Ive been giving daisy anbesol its disgusting so i put bongella on straight after too you have to get it behind counter in boots.daisy quite goodthough after being on ranitidine which is foul as im sure poor ella knows too x
  • Just tried her back on her infant formula and she guzzled the lot. Oh well will just have to give her that in the mean time and see what hv says.

Thanks for the info westbrom, fingers crossed it wasn't just a flook though!!!LOL
  • I had the same problem with Harry last week. Barely had any milk all week.

HV said it shouldn't be a problem so long as it doesn't carry on like that for more than a week. Also she mentioned just trying to get lots of dairy products in him in different ways. So have been giving a fromage frais as pudding and dairylea sandwiches! So far so good and this week he's having more so may just have been a phase for him!

Fingers crossed for you though! X