Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby's Temperature - is 37 degrees high?

Hello again,
12 week old LO has just started pre-teething, I think - red cheeks, chomping on hands/toys/, not tucking into his bottle with usual gusto, bottom a little red, dribbling like mad, etc. So today, his cheeks were redder than normal and he just seemed very uncomfortable, so I took his temperature and it was 37.1. Now, all the guides say a temperature of over 38 is a "fever" but the nurse that did his jabs told me to think about using Calpol whenever his temperature is over 37 and he is displaying symptoms of discomfort. What do you all think? Don't want to be doling out calpol unnecessarily, but also want him to be as comfortable as possible....
Is a temperature over 37 degrees celsius a high temperature?
Thanks,
webminx

Replies

• Options
    Hi i'm not sure in babies but 37c is normal for a adult I would say if he seem uncomfortable give him calpol but you know your baby best xo
  • Options
    I would give it. A little dose will do no harm and if it gives you peace of mind, its worth it. I think as long as you are not giving it every day (or very often) its fine! Em x
  • Options
    I don't think 37c is an issue but like Ems101 says it will give you peace of mind, and it'll stop you waking him every 5 mins to check his temperature if you give him some calpol. it may be a little sore even if no temp x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - I ended up giving him one 2.5ml dose, after which he was a lot more settled. He's been fine since, so will keep it for the occasional use. Anyone tried teething powders, by the way? Keep hearing about them but a bit dubious...
  • Options
    There's no harm in trying as they're homeopathic, but I didn't find them any use (personally).
  • Options
    Normal temp for a baby taken in the armpit is 36.5ish. 37 is a little high but nothing to worry about. Give him some calpol - it won't hurt him and may make him more comfortable.
  • Options
    our ear thermometer says that 36.5????-37.5???? is fine and the screen stays green and 37.6???? and above flashes red and beeps, its the summer infant one too so should eb the right temps for babies, os i wouldn't worry too much, but if he seems uncomfrtable and/or a bit grumpy then u can offer some calpol anyway, the way i see it is if i have a headache/fell crappy i don't always have a temp, and particulalry as he's just had his jabs he could be feeling a bit off even without a high temp, iyswim? x
  • Options
    i was always told over 38 was high, my LO had a temp of 38.9 this morning but after nurofen, stripping off and a fan on him he was fine x
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies - it's great having this forum! LO is back to his usual self, thank goodness but at least I now know what range to look out for on the temperature front! Have bought Ashton and Parsons powders so will give them a go next time teething symptoms rear their head!
  • Options

Hi my lil boy is nearly 4,and his temp is 37.1.Since last 3 days he had the same condition i am giving him only peracetamol after every 4hrs.Is this okay or  can i go  to my GP and  ask him.