Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Phobias-what freaks you out for no reason?!

Replies

• Ah i hate bridges. Can't go near them. Even the puny little footpath-over-a-stream-bridges. If i have to cross one i'll start hyperventilating n allsorts. Its a very sad life to lead being scared of silly things!

I also reallly hate the sound of people brushing their teeth, Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it! xxxx
  • ok i'm officially boring compared to u lot (some really strange ones there ladies! lol)...dont really have any major, hypervenitilation style phobias but I definitely do not like:
    Fire - used to be really scared, was excused from using burners in chemistry at school cs used to get in a state but am just about ok with it now, still steer well clear of bonfires etc tho!
    Deep water - put it down to being only 5 foot tall, i am out of my depth very quickly! Had bad experience in the sea once, thought i would be swept away and never seen again...my paddling in the ocean days are well and truly behind me!
    Along the same lines, fish - can eat it, can tolerate them in tanks, hate them in the sea....freaks me out, all swimming round your legs, then they're gone.
    Looking up at stuff - sounds odd i know but i cant look up at tall buildings makes me feel dizzy and queasy x
  • Claudia T LOVE the Christmas picture-your 2 look gorgeous! Put mine in his Santa suit yesterday to make our Christmas cards-cheesy or what?! Don't care you only get one chance!x
  • i hate the feel of socks i put them on as quickly as possible then put shoes on to get a different feel cant stand them lol also hate the feel of towels cant touch them unless my hands are wet weird i know.Also wasps,bees,spiders,maggots any bugs really.
  • I have a lot of the usual ones- pigeons make me me feel so sick and I do screech loudly if one goes near me in town, bit embarrassing for my hubby. I hate spiders, the thought of their legs tickling you if they walked on you...ugh. Clowns freak me out a bit, but also was a man dressed in bear costume in town the other day and I hated that too, it's just not right!

Think my wierdest one is that I can't touch warm paper- you know if it's just come out of the printer or photocopier *shudder* ugh it's making me cringe really badly just thinking of it! Can't stand the feeling of it!

xxx
  • I have just realised i am freak with very strange phobias. They keep coming back to me and i have 2 more.

First one is weetabix! i hate the stuff it make me feel sick. I cannot look at it or touch it. I cant even touch a bowl that has had weetabix in. Its gross but i can honestly say i have never eaten it so its not relating to taste its just the texture of it.

Second one is i cannot wash the dishes without gloves on. I cant put my hands in the water when i cant see whats in it. If we have no gloves i have to wash them under running water. Im a bit funny about the bath too. I have to clean it and rinse it with the shower head before i run it just in case there was something in it and i wouldnt be able to see it under the water.
  • I am terrified of both spiders and daddy long legs, no idea why! I am getting better as I make a real effort not to make a fuss in front of Millie as I don't want her learning my stupid phobias.

Don't like heights, I'm ok with natural heights like cliffs but I don't trust man made stuff that is high up like tall buildings.

Also not keen on clowns although I wouldn't say I have a phobia. Stephen King has a lot to answer for lol I watched IT about 15 years ago and I can still see that bloody clown down the storm drain!!!
  • Oh God clowns in storm drains it gets even worse!!!MKT86 have to agree about Weetabix its the smell and consistency-makes we want to chuck.
    Oh (bless him) just made us a brew as we decorated the tree and made me remember he can't drink out of red mugs? The ones we have are painted inside either blue, yellow, green or red. Didn't realise for ages he used to pour away brews I made if they were in red mug. He can't explain it but then I guess that's the nature of a phobia
  • Wet wool - dont know why even just thinking about it makes my body shake, i just cant stand it.

spider's, bee's,wasp's, ect i run screeming from the room if there are any around, my 6 year old son removes all spiders when my hubby isnt around lol x
  • Not read all of the replies so don't know if any are the same but my main one (apart from spiders) is belly buttons! My brothers used to hold me down and poke my button when I was young cause I hated it and now that left me hating my BB even touched! It actually hurts in physical pain if anyone even talks about it LOL. Oh thinks I am too weird!

Clowns also freak me out too. I'm not majorly freaked out by them but certainly wouldn't have one in my house.
  • Snakes!!!!!
    Always have been since the age of 3, dunno why but I'm petrified. Can't watch I'm a celebrity, I'll have nightmares for weeks. If I see a pic I scream and usually end up ill. My family want me to get hypnotised for it but I'm worried it wouldn't work.

I don't like clowns either coz when I was 4 a clown came up and sat on my dad covered in gunk and it went all over me too
    Or heights, didn't like empire state building I freaked out up there.x
  • i hate the thought of tin foil in your mouth, like biting down on it or it touching a filling, eeeooow! My hubby always teases me when he eats a kit kat, he bits down on it when it is still in it's wrapper!!!

I HATE slatters/wood louse (sp?) they always appear in our bathroom and i can't stand them!
  • i'm absolutely terrified of giving blood! I don't mind getting injections in the top of my arm, like vaccinations, that doesnt really bother me. But i can't stand that it gets taken from the inside of your elbow, just thinking about it makes me feel sick. I always pass out and have to have my mum or OH there with me to get it done. i was a nightmare when pregnant, they actually had to pin me down, i also sometimes randomly start thinking about it when im in bed and i cant sleep for hours! if i book an appointment for it done i panic about it the whole time leading up to it image
  • i'm scared of stuff like spiders and moths- i always have to kill them- and i say the most stupid thing when i do "not on my watch pal" god knows why i say it!

but my really weird phobia is SAND! the thought of it between my toes makes me freak!!! i'm shuddering at the thought!!

http://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/p945355.png

• that weird so meany people hate clowns due to watching IT i watched it when i was 6 years old my brother made me and my neice watch it, but its never caused me to have a problem with clowns.

Hights - im fine in planes but any other hights no thanks i cant even stand on chair to change a light bulb.

peanut butter - cant be near the stuff just the smell of it makes me sick, my two kids love the stuff but just looking at it makes me want to throw up.

• This is a good one!! I'm with you mum to 1, Clowns!! They seriously freak me out-Bedhead I was nearly sick reading your post about that film... the one that cannot be mentioned in this house!!

eeekk I feel all shivery-how stupid!! lol! I once decided to face my fear on a night out after lots of beer! There was a man dressed as a clown, and so I staggered over to speak to him-within seconds my eyeballs were rolling in my head and I nearly passed out!!!
  • Clowns are scary (watch Stephen King's "It" and you'll know why!!
    I have a big phobia of moths & butterflies. If one comes near me - ARGHHHHHH!!
    Just thinking of walking round a butterfly house makes me want to vomit!
    I also once walked round a bat cave at a zoo and freaked out halfway round cos it's really dark and the bats are flying round and cos they have sonar they fly REALLY close to you but don't hit you so you just feel the flutter and it's awful. Plus some were really big - as big as cats!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cobwebs, not spiders, cobwebs. I have never liked the feel of them then one day I watched a nature program where somewhere in the deepest darkest rain forest a certain spiderweb, if spun, can be used as fishing line. From then on as far as I'm concerned they can kill!! LoL. I don't mind pic's of them but I will go out of my way to advoid them. I used to walk to work all year round with an umbrella being waved infront of me so I can break any flyers!!

Having my face and head covered. I won't wear hats, especially winter hats and I hate it when people put there hands over my mouth. I go mad and I can feel panic rising inside me. I won't sumarge my head in water either. I had to really give myself a firm talking too to take my step son on a flume on holiday one year. It took me three days to pluck up the courage. I don't know why I used to do it as a child.

Kerry, Freya and bump
    X X X
  • I am such a bad person and i hate to admit this publically but im scared of little people. they used tobe callled midgets yrs ago. when i was about 10 my friend and i saw a "little" lady takng a pee down an alleyway and my friend threw a potato at her. she chased us for about 5 blocks and to my home. she started banging on the door and putting her hands in the letter box saying i know your in there. eeeek then my mum dragged me to the door to apologise and she literally crawled up my body. so now i really dont like "little" people. my younger sister has freakishly small hands and when were messing about she'l put them on my face. eeeeeew. sorry. x
  • artygal - so strange. That has really freaked me out!!!!! lol!!