Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What do you put your baby in for bed??

2»

Replies

• LO is currently asleep in his vest, sleepsuit and 2.5 tog bag but its blinking freezing here tonight. Normally he's just in his sleepsuit and sleepy bag. HV always tells me to dress him in one more layer than I do so if I'm chilly I add more, and if I'm hot I take off.
  • my lo is in a babygrow or vest ( depending on temp) and sleepsuit and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag if the temp is under 20degrees. over 20 i either remove a layer or go to the 1 tog bag. i like to keep the window cracked open until it gets really cold to keep the room fresh as my lo gets a blocked nose if the room is stuffy. xx
  • ps i don't think you're meant to put a sheet over a sleeping bag xx
  • Jen at 10m is in a vest , baby gro and blanket. She doesnt like her sleeping bag any more, she likes to grooooove in her cot! Im gonna get her a thicker furry baby gro for when it gets colder. xx

no. you are not supposed to use any additional bedding with a sleeping bag.

no. you are not supposed to use any additional bedding with a sleeping bag.

when my LO was little she was in her gro bag with a large muslin cloth over the bag and tucked under the materss as she had slept with a muslin tucked over her since she came out of special care and like the resuring feeling and she was fine!

we have recently gone back to a sleeping bag after a few months of duvets/blankets but stopped sleeping through so tried her again with the bag and she loves it. even goes in it during the day for naps (and it works at getting her to sleep!!)

so tonight she is in long sleeved pj's and her gro bag which she can undo and get out of herself if she is too warm
  • I'm always confused by this. Tonight I will sleep in my pjs, under a duvet, next to a warm hubby. Baby is meant to sleep in cot with a babygro and just a couple of blankets, now if that were me I would freeze my ass off. I can't understand the logic.
  • I'm actually slightly worried about this - I'm still putting Jak to bed in his 1.0 tog sleeping bag and just a nappy, he doesn't wake and it's about 24-5 in there at the mo. Does he need a vest as well? I think I'm too paranoid but I don't want him to get cold, bless him...
  • id put him in a vest. are his arms not cold during the night?
  • They're not actually, they're warmer than my hand if I touch them. It gets warmer in our flat right up until about 4am, when the temp starts to drop down again. It's because we're the middle one, we get all the heat from downstairs and it doesn't escape!
  • what gets me is when he goes to sleep it can be say 22 degrees but during the actual night it can drop to below this??!! also just to clear his vest is a sleevless so not long sleeved vest and bodysuit, short sleeved bodysuit and 2.5 grow bag xx

emilyb how fab is that for your heating bill lol xx
  • my mum alwyas gave us heinz chicken soup and toast when sick and I still love this when I'm not well and also my mum did lovely home made chips they were such a treat in our house,, oooh with beans and then bread and really thick butter so it all melts over the chips, omg I need to take a moment and compose myself lol
  • I go by 2 things, how cold I feel the room is and the old thing of putting them in one layer more than you. The past couple of weeks I have been wearing pyjamas as when I get up in the night it's a bit chilly, so going by the above I have lo in a vest (the one extra layer), pyjamas (same as me), and a 2.5 tog grobag (the equivalent of my duvet) I figure if I'm ok of a night then so is she, if i'm colder then I assume she will be and put a blanket over her gro bag tucked in.

I think you've got to use your own intuition at the end of the day, as someone else said, a cold baby will cry, a hot one won't but hell, most of us are up in the night feeding them so you'll know if they're too hot when you feed them ;\)

Being on the BIF10 forum i remember this obsession from when our lo's were all born during the snow last year and they're all fine, none of them woke us up with icicles on their noses or were baked to a crust from too few or too many blankets :lol:
  • my mum alwyas gave us heinz chicken soup and toast when sick and I still love this when I'm not well and also my mum did lovely home made chips they were such a treat in our house,, oooh with beans and then bread and really thick butter so it all melts over the chips, omg I need to take a moment and compose myself lol

did i miss a post or is this totally random!!! :lol:
  • Calleigh I thought that..very random moonbeanimage
  • I think it might have been meant as a post for the 'Heritage foods' thread. :lol:

As for the question, Peter either sleeps in a vest and sleepsuit or a long-sleeved vest and his 2.5 tog sleeping bag, depending on the room temperature. When it gets colder he will go in a vest, sleepsuit and the sleeping bag. When it is really warm he sleeps in just a vest.

It is so difficult, isn't it? He isn't wild about his sleeping bags, either. He sleeps in them just fine but tends to get annoyed with how constricting they are in the morning. If he doesn't have one on he will chat happily to himself for half an hour. If he does, I have to go get him within about 10 minutes. *yawn*