Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Packing for Labour.. what would you recommend / not rec?

Hi Ladies,

The end is getting closer and closer and time to start thinking about what i need to get for my labour and baby bag etc, i've looked up lists on the internet and some off them god some off them pants!

I've been lucky and had a straight forward pregnancy so fingers crossed i will be giving birth in the local birthing centre where you get sent home after a few hours!

Just wondering what things you would recommend and what were a waste of time and space?

Any suggestions very welcome! x

Replies

• most importantly, things that will make you comfy - Ipod, pillows, yoga ball, tennis ball (for massage), tens machine, big, comfy clothes, snacks (esp for your OH!). Camera, slippers, big pants, +++ maternity pads, dressing gown in a dark colour, nipple cream if you plan to BF.

For baby, +++ nappies, 4 vests, 2 in newborn, 2 in 0-3, sleepsuits in the same sizes. blanket, litle hat, coat, muslin, +++ cotton wool.

Good luck! Enjoy this amazing, wonderful and magical experience!

Em x
  • this is what we took

For me,

Change for the car park
    Maternity Notes
    Birth Plan - waste of time as it didnt go anything like i had planned!
    light weight dark Dressing Gown - didnt use to hot
    flip-flops for the shower and walking around after
    Socks i found it far too hot for these!
    T-Shirt/nightie to wear for the birth and lightweight pjs/nightie as it was very hot on the ward
    Camera
    phone and charger
    Music - didnt really use the ipod
    Toiletries including Shampoo and Conditioner
    Hair Brush and Hair Bands
    Knickers - disposable and lots of maternity pads
    Nursing Bras and breast pads
    a big towel for showers
    Going home outfit i used some maternity clothes

For Baby,

Car Seat make sure you know how to ajust the straps and attach to car it was -7 degrees when we made that mistake!
    One outfit for going home
    4 Babygrows/sleepsuits
    4 Baby Vests
    Blanket for going home
    Nappies 1 pack
    Socks 2 pairs didnt use as babygrows had feet in
    Hat 1 used for going home, ward to hot to warrant it
    Muslin Squares 3
    Cotton Wool balls 1 bag
    Scratch Mittens only used for going home as too hot!
    snow suit (it was snowing for us!)
    i would reccomenned different size sleepsuits, i got told i was having a monster but he was tiny so none of the 0-3 fit him (0-3 usually startes from 9lbs) so i had to send out for newborn ones!

Snacks/Drinks - something we forgot! i was sooo hungry and didnt want hubby to leave me to get some! i laboured from 3 am until 530pm and hadnt eated since 6pm the last evening, was so sick from the hunger!
    get you birthing partner to bring a change of clothes hubby was so stinky after all that time in the same clothes! :lol:

good luck
  • The others have pretty much covered it, but I couldn't have lived through my labour without my favourite book. I was induced, so there was a lot of waiting around and then afterwards I was stuck in bed unable to get up for 3 days. It really helped to have something to take my mind off it all! I took something I've read a billion times and so it didn't matter so much when I had to keep putting it down and it helped me to relax too x x x
  • Everything mentioned above. Also, towels (I had a water birth and used about 3!), definately camera (check its fully charged!), lots of maternity pads (although my midwife was good and just kept giving me hospital ones), A couple of nighties for yourself (I only had 1 in navy - hid a multitude of sins in the photos! Took pyjamas but they were useless once you've given birth and lying on a bed and the Dr/nurses keep coming to check your bits!).

If you plan on breasfeeding take maternity bras and make sure that you have at least 1 nightie that has easy access for breasfeeding.

Also go in with an open mind! Enjoy! x
  • Agree with what's been said - I had a winter baby and took PJs, dressing gown etc but the ward was SO HOT I didn't use them. Now I would def take a few nighties in dark colours, lightweight.

Like you I was expecting to be in and out quickly but ended up in there for nearly 4 days - you just don't know what's going to happen. Unless you live nearby and have someone to nip out and bring you things I would recommend packing for a few days just in case.

Also - however many maternity pads you think you will need - take more. Ditto nappies.

I personally didn't use my ipod and other "entertainment" like packs of cards etc - last thing I felt like when in pain! BUT if you end up being induced as others have said there is a lot of waiting (when you might not be feeling anything at all) so if it gets to that point definitely take lots to do!

Also I recommend freezing some bottles of water and taking them with you when you go to hospital. That way you will always have nice cold water - you can't underestimate how hot the wards are kept for the babies and it's horrid if you're in pain and sweating etc!! Lots of deodorant too (for you and your OH!!).

And don't kid yourself, take maternity clothes for going home in!! Your bump will be smaller, but not back to normal and you don't want to be disappointed! I just took yoga-type pants which were supercomfy.

FINALLY - TAKE YOUR OWN LUXURIOUS TOILET PAPER!!! Hospital stuff is rough and horrid - you will thank me for this tip, I promise image

GOOD LUCK!!

C image
  • Definitely agree with the luxurious toilet paper! Also take a squeezy water bottle to aim on your bits when you pee if you have any stitches - it will stop the stinging.

Good luck!
    Bxx
  • i used a tens machine, a wet flannel on my stomach (like a comfort blanket!), a hot water bottle on my back and that was it. i hated the birthball during labour. i gave birth in a pool.

we didnt have the tv on or any music and didnt notice! i didnt eat anything, but had sips of water. GET STRAWS!!! They are also good for breastfeeding and trying to take a drink.

the mw put me in my white dressing gown, which looked like i had been shot when i took it off, but a cold wash got the blood out.

i gave birth at home though, so although i had bags packed, if there was anything else i needed hubby could just grab it.
  • Thanks ladies some great tips! xxxx
  • BIG pants, I found the disposable ones a waste of time.
    Lots of snacks - Oaty bake cake bars were great.
    Capri-sun drinks - i took a massive box of these, which really helped as I was in labour for 17.5 hrs and in hospital for 5 days.
  • BIG granny pants, not just a bigger size but make sure they come up to your waist, just in case you have to have a section, as I did and I had no pants that I could wear, lots of bigger ones but none that covered the scar area!

I packed the minimum in a case, then had about 6 bags in the boot of the car labelled for OH to bring in. It was an absolute godsend as I ended up staying in longer than expected.

Lots of snacks and drinks, not only for labour but afterwards too. I was always hungry and the hospital meals never filled me enough!

I would have some different sized clothes ready at home for your OH to bring in afterwards. Some people shed weight faster than others and it can also depend on how long you are in. I only had maternity bottoms which by the 3rd day I couldn't keep up. Get a couple of larger jogging bottoms or similar, they were far more comfortable for me.

Wishing you lots of luck xx
  • I'm going to sound like a right clean freak now - which I'm not really - but flip flops for in the shower (cant bear the thought of standing on other peoples hair), anti bac wipes for wiping your bedside table etc before your food is put on it (also heard of people giving the sink/loo seat a wipe) and anti bac hand cream incase the despenser on the ward is empty. Good luck xxx
  • I know you say hopefully you will be at the local birth centre but if its anything like our local midwife led unit they will ship you out to a bigger hospital at the first sign of any trouble. For that reason I would say pack a bag that contains anything you would need IF you have to stay in and like Lawso says incase you have to have a section. I really hope that it all goes to plan for you but best to be prepared.
    I can't really help with the bag packing as I had a planned section so it was a bit different. The only thing I can agree on is taking food. The food at my hospital was crap and I found myself eating sweets and bicuits in the middle of the night I was so hungry. OH also bought a McDonalds in for me!
  • I agree with the flip flops for the shower, there is quite a lot of blood afterwards and other people too have been in the shower - i am a fussy bugger too! lol
    Big baggy clothes...i wated to look nice and fresh but classy when i left hospital, i had a nice top, my linen trousers and my make up etc lol. I came home in my baggy tracksuit bottoms and hoody with flip flops as i could hardly move for aching.

Bit pants - and i mean big! You dont want anything tight pressing on your bits lol

Hair bobble - keep that mop off your face lol

Big maternity pads!!!!

Some comfy pjs or a nice nighty for after xxx

Oh its exciting writing all that down, i loved giving birth, the whole experience was so lovley xxx
  • I agree with the flip flops for the shower, there is quite a lot of blood afterwards and other people too have been in the shower - i am a fussy bugger too! lol
    Big baggy clothes...i wated to look nice and fresh but classy when i left hospital, i had a nice top, my linen trousers and my make up etc lol. I came home in my baggy tracksuit bottoms and hoody with flip flops as i could hardly move for aching.

Bit pants - and i mean big! You dont want anything tight pressing on your bits lol

Hair bobble - keep that mop off your face lol

Big maternity pads!!!!

Some comfy pjs or a nice nighty for after xxx

Oh its exciting writing all that down, i loved giving birth, the whole experience was so lovley xxx
  • i bought 3 pairs of tracksuit bottoms from asda for ??3 each in a size 14, i am usually an 8. these were great. but once washed they are too short, but what can you expect for ??3! i pretty much lost my tum straight away but as there are drawstring they were fine at the end of pregnancy and after.