Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

g/c for some advice pls from any mummies with knee problems

Hello and sorry if this is a strange or ingnorant post!

I suffer from chondromalacia patella in both knees (a softening of the cartilage) which restricts a fair bit of my movement now. I particularly have trouble sitting down and standing up without supporting/contorting myself and can't kneel down onto the floor easily, or indeed at all, sometimes!

Now I'm pregnant (second tri) I'm staring to think about how this will affect my handling/playing/general moving about with my baby. I know that many ladies have it much tougher than me with mobility problems and whilst I know I WILL find some way to cope (we just do don't we?) - I would be very very interested in hearing from other mums who might have similar issues. Is there anything I should be thinking about buying or considering while getting me and my house ready for baby's arrival? I'm most concerned about getting up/down from a chair for feeding baby and of course bathing.

How much time do mummies spend sitting down/standing up and kneeling?!?

Many thanks in advance of any advice or input.

MrsB x

Replies

• Options
    Hiya Mrs B,
    I suffer with a simular problem (my knees dislocate spontaniously) I had and still do have some problems getting up and down with it specially with my little one. The one thing i Have found a god send is a cot top changer. Saves having to bend down to the floor to change her and also maybe a bit old fashioned but its like a cabinet with a bath built into the top of it and draws etc to keep stuff in underneath. I think some of the more expensive models of this have the bath and the changer all in one unit. (I also have bad arthritis in my knees and hips) have found these things very helpful.
    Hope this helps
    Lady Mac
  • Options
    Hi hun, I don't suffer from this but I do have a bad back since Jack has come and can't really bend down a lot. My mum purchased a bath and bath stand from Mothercare and it's been an absolute godsend. I just fill the kettle and pour the water into the bath from that and either bath him in the kitchen or bathroom so I don't need to keep running back and forth or when hubby is here, he fills it up and lifts it up for me.

I also have a sideboard and I have a changing mat on top of this, which also saves me bending down.

Good luck for your new arrival xx