Forum home Babies Baby

Baby Rusk

13»

Replies

• Reneeisgrowingabump I love it. The reason the guidelines change is because the professionals do research that tells them what is best. They may have said one thing years ago, but they must have changed it for a reason!

Each to their own, but I will be listening to the professionals, they give advice for a good reason x
  • This is really old, but quite an interesting read.

The guidelines to wean at 6 months were formulated from studies that were mostly carried out in the third world. The recommendation was to breast feed exclusively until 6 months. This was found to reduce incidence of gastrointestinal disease and therefore infant mortality. It makes sense as these diseases often originate from a contaminated water supply and if you are exclusively breastfeeding you are reducing the chances of your child ingesting bacteria/parasites from the water.

Also the more breastfeeding you do, the more antibodies the child receives and therefore in poorer countries when there is likely to be a lot of exposure to disease, this is especially important.

The UK recommends weaning at 6 months however the evidence for this advice in first world countries is not great and many places (including the US) the recommendation is to wean from 4 months. Actually there may be some protective effect against gluten intolerance for children that are weaned before 6 months. In Sweden there were many more cases of coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) diagnosed when the authorites recommended weaning after 6 months. When the advised weaning age was changed back to 4 months, the incidence fell again.

It will be interesting to see the results of the currently ongoing EAT study which is looking at weaning age and possible allergy association.
  • Hi girls my LO is now 15 weeks and I am considering giving

Him baby rice/rusks . Is there a certain amount or consistency you have to mix get? How many spoons etc ?
  • Hi just wondering if anyone can help me I'm a first time mum and wanting to start my baby on rusks just wondering what's the best way to start in the sense of how much how offen and best time?? Thanks image x
  • Hi I'm a new mum of 12 weeks and I'm a bit shy and tend to go by what people say not to do is it normal for my baby to guzzle his bottle really fast he doesn't normally do this but he seems to now and then starts playing with teat and then takes more milk sorry if I sound thick xxx can i try him with baby rice and how often xxx

• This is an old thread & I'm slightly confused by your post. Personally I wouldn't wean until close to 6 months (which has been the guidelines since 2003) as before then their gut might not be fully closed & could cause damage. Continue to give milk & go & see a health professional if you're worried. It's not recommended to give solids before 17 weeks at the minimum without medical referral. I hope the growth spurt your child is going through doesn't last too long

• Hi, 

i totally agree. Ive a 12 wk bby and a 18 yr and 12yr old and when my older 2 were born it was "ok" to make up formula in advance and keep in fridge but now you advised its "not hygienic" and advised to not start solids to at least 6 months well all i can say is every child is differant and all these new regulations , and they are relatively new are only to keep in line with the EU!!! Like my HV said to me "dont wanna teach you to suck eggs, your mum you know best for your baby" so dont listen to any childish or pathetic critisisum mummies you know your bby better then anybody and my eldest 2 started solid at 12 weeks. One ran for cheshire and the other plays pro football say no more