Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

hungry baby milk - does it help with sickness?

hi lo is 13 wks now, just been to get him weighed and hes 15lb11!!

anyway i asked hv about changing him onto hungry baby milk as he is taking 8oz evry 3 hours, when for the last month or so he had been lasting from 10pm til 5/6am.

she said it is personal choice and i could do that, or could try to hang out for 4 more weeks then wean him when hes 17wks.

but what i was thinking was he is a very sicky baby (loads of changes a day) and wondered if anyone whos baby takes hungry baby milk do you find because it is heavier it helps with the sickness, or not really?

i dont know whether to just wait 4 more weeks or go ahead with the hungry baby milk, 4 weeks is a long time to be getting up every 3 hours tho!

Replies

• hey my little girl is on hungry baby milk and she is fine regarding the sickness, however my friends boy is a sicky baby ad like your lo feeds every 2-3 hours she tried hungry baby milk and he started bringing up more ad it looked a bit like cottage cheese (tmi-sorry) she then changed back to normal milk and all was fine again. I'd give it a go and see what happens tho, the worse case is you have to change back to normal milk!!
    good luck!!
  • my lo is 10 weeks o9ld and weighed 16lb 15oz today! He is extremely long though. He was on hungry baby all the time but one of the many HV's (it's someone different each week!) said its harder for them to digest and puts on lots more calories and suggested I just give him hungry baby milk on his last feed before bed.
  • Hi. Hungry baby milk has NO more calories than first milk! That's a common misconception. It isn't thicker either.

It just has a different balance of protein, that makes baby fuller a bit longer.

I would go for it! At 13 weeks he's not too young. I swapped my LO at 5 weeks. xx
  • hi everyone thanks, it seems it just depends who your health visitor is what you get told!

i have bought the hungry baby milk to try from his next feed onwards. i have also bought a box of baby rice and banana breakfast for when ill prob wean him when hes 17wks. (i just got excited seeing all the wee foods and theyll keep if i dont use them til hes 6mths anyway).

i was told the hungry milk might give him constipation. other mums with older children (my oldest is 3 so older than that) said the guidelines for weaning used to be 12wks, that seems really early to me, it was 16 wks when i had my oldest now its 6mths hmm.

anyway ill try to hungry milk and hopefull yhtat works out fine and ill be able to wait til 6mths to wean him, if it doesnt agree with him then ill put him back on the first milk and wean him at 17wks...there thats the plan anyway!!

i had about just giving it to him for bedtime but u was unsure if it was harmful to swap about between milks, anyone any thoughts on that?
  • Hi,

My lo has reflux and was a very sicky baby. I was advised to change to hungry baby milk and it made a huge difference. She stopped being sick after that. I use Aptimal but I'm sure any other is just as good.

She is now 6months and not sick at all anymore.
  • hi thatnks, it is aptamil that i use too. have just given hin his first bottle of hungry one and he has been a bit sick..no change ther then, but will see how it goes as he gets used to it thanks x
  • Tiger Lily..... it just shows you how little some health visitors know!! I looked at the tubs and you're right..... I know I shouldnt listen to them lol Well at least they didnt tell me off this week... that is a 1st!! :lol:
  • hi sarah thats terrible about choking, we were also told to cut back his milk but that was when he was about 4 weeks old and was taking 6oz bottles, we were told to give him water for 2 feeds per day. but hv now says what he has now is fine (hes 13wks and he has 7/8 oz every 3.5-4 hours now that we've moved him to hungry baby milk. he has stayed on 95th centile since birth so hes growing well. we changed him from sma to aptamil and hes now not half as sick (altho still a bit). he is only sick for about half an hour after a feed, or with burps, then hes fine til the next feed so im not really worried about him choking as we always sit him up til he stops being sick.
  • hi, i have twin daughters that are 10 weeks old. the bigger twin is a very sicky baby, everytime she has a bottle shes sick in dribs and drabs and everytime we wind her shes sick too. theyre on cow and gate 1st stage and ive just seen a tub of sma called stay down milk,  dont know whether 2 try that or go to 2nd stage cow and gate cos shes still hungry after feeds ( they take 4 oz every 4 hours ) any advice?