Forum home Babies Baby

How does everyone defrost baby food??

A couple of weeks ago I made a few purees and froze them in cubes for when I start weaning (which is now!)

But I'm not too sure what the best way to defrost them is
What does everybody do?? :?

Replies

• i microwave all my lo's frozen dinners as long as it is piping hot then left to cool it will be fine xx
  • I either stick the cubes in a tub in the fridge overnight, or in the morning then microwave for 10-20 seconds on low to take the chill off.
  • Ok I gave Max half an avocado today (which he loved image)
    and I mashed up and froze the rest of it but I'm not sure how to defrost it again!! Maybe not a good idea to freeze avocado...
    Maybe I should cut my losses ha ha :lol:
  • I take Kades lunch out of the freezer at breakfast and leave it in the microwave then it is ready by lunch, then take his dinner out at lunch so is defrosted by teatime.

anatoriac, don't think you can freeze avacado....I'm sure I read it somewhere anyway?
  • Oh ok! :roll:

Never mind... Didn't really think about how I'd defrost it at the time! duh...

Is there anything else you can't freeze?? :?
  • Just agreeing with Loui4, you def can't freeze avocado - I never have any left after feeding Henry - he eats the whole lot!! Think pretty much everything else you can freeze.
  • Don't think you should freeze bananas but I did for the boys b4 I found out i shouldn't, oops!
    I also get out of freezer (if i remember!) in the morning for her tea, but if not, defrost in microwave.
  • Aww think you were just unlucky with that one hun as like Emily66 says I think everything else is pretty much ok!
  • i just leave it out on the bench over night. sometimes ill leave it in the fridge but i have my fridge very very cold so it takes aaaaages that way x
  • I take paige's food out the night before i put her lunch and tea in the fridge and leave her fruit for breakfast on the side.
  • I nuke her dinner and lunch in the microwave and then let it cool down. Any fruit for breakfast I defrost over night in the fridge.
  • I prefer to defrost baby food in the fridge overnight, but more often than not I forget if I have had a really busy day. So the microwave comes in really handy.

Here are the guidelines I use for defrosting baby food in the microwave: use the right container, don't let the clingfilm touch the food and always check its defrosted thoroughly then cooked to piping hot.

http://www.mindfulmum.co.uk/2010/03/is-it-safe-to-cook-baby-food-in-the-microwave/

[Modified by: MindfulMum on March 16, 2010 07:51 PM]

• I get it out the night before and put it in the fridge, if I forget then I get it out in the morning and leave it on the side and just warm it up in the microwave.
  • You can freeze avocado and bananas. Both oxidize (turn brown) while exposed to oxygen, so remove as much air as possible in a freezer bag and store cubes of pureed avocado and banana in them. As long as you puree and freeze fairly quickly, very little browning will occur. You can also store half an avocado in a sealed bag in the frig in its shell, with most of the air removed. If browning is present on any fruit, its only a very thin top layer, it can't hurt your baby (or anyone else) and you can scrape it off if you wish.

I prefer thawing frozed cubed puree either in a sippee cup placed in a bottle warmer, or the cubes placed into a sealed freezer bag and then placed into steaming hot water. Microwaves kill cells, including nutrients. Thawing out of a refrigerator is dangerous as bacteria can cover food in 2 hours. Thawing in a refrigerator is safe as long as its covered, but babies tend to not like refrigerated foods, warm or room temp is best.

Hope this helps.