Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Highchairs

Hi Ladies,

Will need to buy a highchair for Samuel over the next months and was just wondering which ones people have and would they recommend them?
Can't believe that my tiny baby is 4 months and is soon going to be eating food!!!

Thanks in advance
Tasha x

Replies

• Options
    hi I got the chicco happy snack (I think that's what it called anyway was a while ago lol) and my lo has just turned 18months and it's manky. The straps get washed weekly and still look awful. I bought it cause of the reclining function and I've hardly ever used that lol. We have a basic ikea one at my mums house and I love that one as it's so easy to clean there are no fiddly bits however I wouldn't recommend it for use with younger babies as there isn't much support in it.
    Personally though I would much rather have used baby chair or something for a littlee while longer and then got this one as it is so much easyer to keep clean.
  • Options
    Hi Natasha I bought a Graco Teatime for Charlie although wasn't my first choice but got it for ??25 at ASDA's baby event. Can't resist a bargain image

I was going to boy the Chicco Polly magic. Or the Mamas & Papas Loop (??250!) but hubby put his foot down

Happy snack one is great. Folds away, easy to clean, tray comes off and has little toys attached and a backet underneath. Charlie is 20wks and likes sitting in it when we are in the kitchen

xx

[Modified by: ~CharlieMum~ on June 23, 2009 10:12 PM]

• Options
    The world of highchairs in a minefield! I was told to think about whether lo would be sitting in it just to eat (i.e. for short periods) or whether it would be more of a seat for them and decide what level of comfort to go for. Also, do you need it to fold up for space reasons? Do you want it to recline? And do you want one with a tray (and if so, must it detach)? And do you want it to 'grow' with lo so that it ends up being a chair for them when they are older?

I had no idea! But I think it is worth having a think about.

Although I am really pleased with ours (Chicco Polly on offer in Toys r Us), the base of it is really big, and it gets in the way in our small-ish kitchen.

[Modified by: Rhian2 on June 24, 2009 10:35 AM]

• Options
    omg all im gonna say is you will never find one that does everything!!!!!! i had a chicco polly and it was bulky nightmare to clean but really comfy espec for newborns and tray got up nice and tight. i will say the tray is important i think it needs to be detatchable and have a good rim on it as wthey will just swipe all food onto floor. and one that goes right up to them i have just had a new mommas and poppas and the tray is miles away i have to wrap a towel round daisy cus her food just drops on lap. also cost wise i paid ??100 for mine but i think i could easily justify ??250 SERIOUSLY you will use every day 3 to 4 times a day for 18 months or more. i have just been on holiday and the amount of cheap and nasty highchairs we came accross which were hard to get baby in and straps and trays were useless. do your research hon its worth it x
  • Options
    i've got the chicco polly magic which goes from birth to 3 years. 0-6 months it has a newborn insert, 6-12 months it converts into the highchair and 12months-3 years it pulls right up to the table.
    i love it as it means when i'm in the kitchen, i know my daughter is safe and confy with me. it also comes with an activity arch for the newborn to play with!
    i got it from kiddicare.
  • Options
    Wish we'd gone for the Ikea one , it does look boring and basic but it also looks so easy to clean. We have a Koochi one and it's OK but is annoying to clean, straps aren't fixed (argh!) and tray is a bit far from Lo (and you can't move it closer) so food goes in their lap!!
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, will take a look at the ones mentioned! Thanks for the list of questions, Rhian2. As you say need to have a think about all of those points.
    Oh decisions, decisions - I am hopeless at deciding!
    xxx
  • Options
    We have a Tripp Trapp and I think it is fantastic. When we were looking for a highchair we looked at so many and sat lo in all of them and she looked lost and often slid out of the big bulky ones. When we came across the Tripp Trapp and sat her in it her eyes just lit up and she looked so pleased with herself that she was in a 'chair' sitting up, and we knew that was the one to get. It is designed to sit at your table, which I also like, so your lo can sit with you and be involved at mealtimes. It is also very good for their posture as it supports their backs and it lasts until they are at least about 7.
  • Options

After much research I purchased the mamas and papas Rio highchair. I brought this one because it folds down into a compact size (half its height size) so it tucks away nicely under the table when not in use. I liked that it is bright in colour and my son likes it. I also like the red safely button at the top of the chair that needs to be slid across when folding down the chair- some chairs I looked at and others that my friends have, the folding down button was in the wrong place that it could accidentally pressed. Also, the seat is nice and padded, so comfortable for the little one. The high chair has a five point adjustable safety harness. Also, it has a large removable tray that can be removed for easy cleaning. the only problem is that the Crotch post that is there for added security does not clip into place as it should- hence, keeps sliding out! ( need to go into store and get them to look at it again)