Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Question from a new tired mummy

My baby Luen is 6 days old and so perfect i know i would say that i'm bias. He sleeps well at night and i hope he stays this way.
Since sunday we have noticed him having a crying/unsettled period from about 5 at night until about 10 or 11 and i dont like to moan as he so good all day long. Have been told this all normal and i know this. But would just like to ask other mummy's how long did your babies crying/unsettled period last for? Any tips to help me and my lo xxxx

Replies

• hello and congratulations!

My lo was really unsettled like this for approx 6 weeks, we did take her to see a cranial osteopath this really helped. By the evening everything is just too much for them they become over stimulated and hence get really upset. You could try tiger in the tree, put your little one face down over your arm head in front of elbow so you arm is under tummy and hand is is joining other hand and gently rock, this can help relieve any trapped wind.

It does get better I never thought it would, now my little girl is very happy and smiles loads

good luck
    x
  • Both boys went through this every day and still do some, although not all, days.

Its horrid, and even harder when you have to let one cry because you cant hold 2 at the same time on your own. Are you breast feeding? I was told that they can cluster feed at this time and find that feeding them each hour between 5-10ish works (although its a pain in the backside as I cant move for best part of 5 hours!)

Im also desperately hoping it eases too! lol!

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie (3 weeks 2 days)
  • Gemmie baby i'm not breast feeding no but am bottle feedin and we have found in the evening he doers like to cluster feed like this, he will go and hr or 2 and it calms him but i worry am overfeeding was about to do a post on this...
    I have tried tiger in tree position and he does like it sometimes and yesterday my hubbys work brought him some pressies and we now have a rainforest musical swing which Luen seemed to love and it has quite soothing noises.
    Have decided today we'll, have a calm day with fairly little over-stimulation and he due a bath so may bathe him later as this could relax him (he loved his 1st on sunday) xx
  • Bathing definitely soothes them. I wish I could bathe them both every night as we get a much better routine going but im worried about their delicate skin. We currently bathe them every 3 or so nights but I really look forward to it!!

Im not sure you can over feed as I dont think they would take it if they werent hungry. I hop not as my boys are both gannets and eat like theres no tomorrow most days!! I said about bf as wasnt sure if ff babies did cluster feed but interesting to hear that they do. Means im not only doing it coz boys are bf! lol!
  • Well i decided to just check with mw her opinion and she said that i cant overfeed him so feel better now.
    It is good excuse to give bath probably after we've both had tea and i hope it'll be calming. I wanted to do in day but hubby at work and i cant lift due to c section plus Luen actually sleeps more in day so it'll probably be best in evenin when he alert/awake. xxx
  • My first suffered terrible colic 24 7 for around 3 weeks at about 8 weeks old. Untill, that is, I was introduced to Colif. OMG it was an instant life savour. Expencive but for some p&q and to see a smile on her face it was so worth it.

Hope it improves soon

X X X
  • Beth was like this until 5 weeks. We started a routine based on Gina Ford which gave her more sleep and she's been like a different baby since day 1! The all evening screaming stopped immediately and she went to bed at 7! It was truly miraculous!

I really notice she cries loads more on days where we've been out so I think she's quite sensitive to too much stimulation. If I think she's too wired I just leave her alone on her changing mat rather than stimulate her more. Quite often she's happier like that than if we rock, jiggle etc You'll learn what works for your baby. Most important thing I would say is don't let him get overtired. Once you're down that road it's v hard to get off as they just fight sleep more and get EVEN more tired!

Beth's 7 weeks now and it gets better/easier everyday.

• Hi
    My lo was like this from about 3 weeks old up until about 7 weeks. He was really unsettled up until about 9.30pm and would then drop off to sleep. We started bathing him every evening at about 4 weeks using the johnsons bedtime bath and that seemed to help. He is now 11 weeks old and after his bath and milk we put him in his cot with the mobile on and he sends himself to sleep. Try not to worry as i think its something that they grow out of.
  • Hey Lucyloo - how's it going ?

My ds was also grizzly in the evenings - I've found that if I express a bottle of milk for him (rather than bf him direct from me) and then give him a bath (and if necessary another feed from a bottle after his bath) he then goes down down in his crib and goes to sleep on his own.

So basically I give him as much milk as he wants and a bath, then a cuddle and put him down awake. He then settles himself. Also from last night we put a musical toy in his room that plays music and projects pictures on to the ceiling for about 10 minutes. We left this running when we put him down.

Hopefully this might work for you - but I know I'm very lucky with ds - he's such a good boy. x