Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ears peirced on a baby???

Replies

• Heidi - can I just say - I think it is really refreshing you just posted that! so nice to be able to have healthy debate on here. A while back it would have got out of hand.

p.s I am the only one in my family with this view all my cousins have thier girls ears done, doesnt mean I love them any less or think of them as bad parents. I just tell them they look chavvy haha (they generally roll their eyes and ignore me, then we carry walking in our juicy couture trackie bottoms haha only kidding).
  • My hubby read this thread after I posted yesterday and he wanted me to ask...

Why stop at ears? Why not get their nipples or their tongue pierced?

It did make me giggle, but seriously, where do you draw the line and why? What's the difference between an ear, and giving your baby a Monroe? At the end of the day, it's a decision purely for the mum. They aren't exactly doing it for the good of their child, are they? They're doing something permanent to their baby because they like it. I like tattoos, let's all get our names tattooed on our babies, then if they get lost, people will know who to return them to!image
  • Just wanted to say that when I first replied I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to turn into a slanging match and I am LOVING the fact that everyone is being so civil - shouldnt have doubted you lovely ladies! xx
  • It would be interesting to start the same debate on YAYW and see if the same thing happened... :roll:
  • Just what I was thinking coco!
  • Ooooh, don't go there girls, that thought makes me shudder!!! I wonder why planning weddings brings out the worst in some people?
  • Quote:

'life would be boring if we all did the same things in life '

Exactly - what would I have to moan/b1tch about if we were all the same.

However, if you have your babies ears done, who is it for? you or your baby? personally I hope I never hurt my little boy because I think it looks cute.

And although I have a boy, he wont get his ear done until he leaves my house and if he goes out and gets it without my permission then his ps3 (or equivilant in 15 years) goes in the bin. haha

• my ears were pierced when i was a baby, it was a long time ago though (im 33) lol, i used to have little gold studs and in my baby photos i dont think it looks tacky?

i didn't actually think you were allowed to pierce babies ears anymore but i might be wrong, i wouldnt pierce my baby daughters ears but not because i have anything in particular against it, just cant see the point image
  • I'm really against parents piercing their babies ears, I don't think it is fair at all when the baby has no choice in the matter and that someone would put holes in their babies ears because it looks "cute".

I cringe when I see babies with their ears pierced, I think it looks awful.

Kat x
  • Personally, i dont like it and i wont do it, Its just not my cup of tea, my kids will have to beg me for ages before i will let them have it done, i do think it can look a bit common, but that just me. I also dont like that they are too young to have made the decision for themselves.
  • I have a stunningly beautiful baby girl who has just turned one.....

I do think earrings look cute on babies - but the clip on type!!! I know thats a different slant completely.

I would allow my baby to have clip on earrings whatever age she is, but pierced ears she will have to wait for and will be allowed to get at an age where she understands them - I was about 12 when I had mine done so I would consider this sort of age ok for it.
    Ollie will not be allowed it until he finishes high school as I really really dont like earrings on boys at all.

My downfall will be when my lo's want a tattoo... I was 16 when i had mine done so I can hardly tell them no if they ask at that age! :lol:

xx
  • Ok, I have no opinion either way really, if you want to get it done, get it done, if you don't that's fine, too. Personally speaking I have a little girl aged 5 and she's not interested in getting hers done even though she has friends who have and I have asked. If she wanted them done I would have no problem with that.
    I have friends who have had their babies ears done when they were a few months old and apparently it is less traumatic for them at that age than it is when they are older (toddling/primary school age) as they are babies they also take no notice of them being there, and so don't fiddle and don't tend to suffer from infections.
    Speaking from my own experience, I was 3 when I had my ears pierced, I had been with my cousin who was 10 when she had hers done and I think over the course of a few weeks I just wore my mum down until she agreed for it to be done, I can still remember now, 25 years later, screaming the shop down! But they were done with a needle back then and not with the gun like nowadays, I had to be dragged out of the shop still screaming. I don't remember ever having any problems with them. I know none of my friends had theirs done when I started school. I was 11 when I decided I wanted them done again, so I was taken and had the second holes done, I think mum always thought she couldn't really object because she had her ears pierced several times at various ages until she was 16, my brother and dad also had theirs done at the same time, so my brother was 10, dad had his done because he thought it was a waste that the shop charged the same price whether you were having one ear done or both, so he had the second! He was 34 when he had his first, in all honesty he's probably the only one who still wears his! I then had several more ear piercings from the age of 13. I think at that age you have to allow your children to have a certain amount of freedom, my parents were stricter than alot of my friends parents, but at that age I was allowed to catch the bus into the nearest city to go shopping on a Saturday, I was a very mature looking 13 year old, and could easily pass for 17, so no questions were asked when I popped into the jewellers to have them done, however there were also the times when I was at friends houses and decided I was going to pierce my own ears, and others, and yes I could have got into an awful lot of trouble if his parents had found that he hadn't done it himself, I think it could have been classed as assult, and I was grounded when mum eventually found out that I had done my own, but at that age kids all stick together so you'll never get the truth, either, so I suppose that throws up another dilemma, when do you start letting your children have that little bit more freedom, where they may or may not push the boundaries and come home with piercings/tatoos. I had my belly button done when I was 14, dad came with me and signed the consent form and asking questions the whole time I was having it done, they thought it was best to discuss it with me and accompany me, than for me to decide I was going to have it done and go behind their backs, I also had a tattoo at 16, but wasn't brave enough to tell them about that one, my ex boyfriend ended up grassing me up!! but I have gone on to have more, I don't regret any of my piercings, even the ones I decided I wanted done at 3, nor my tattoos, even though I don't really wear earrings anymore unless it's a special occasion and I remember, and I don't get to show off my tat's but that's probably more to do with where they are placed and not loosing my baby weight!
    I know some of you don't agree with Claires accessories or other jewellers piercing babies ears, but surely it is better that there are trained people available and able to do it safely armed with the correct info re cleaning, etc, than it is for a member of the family to do it or someone who hasn't had the proper training. After all it is easy enough to do with a sterile needle! (and my sterilising it with a lighter doesn't probably count, but that is a risk you run if we don't have properly licensed places available to do it) Just some food for thought really, as I'm not too bothered either way!
  • i wouldnt get my lo's ears pierced, i dont have anything against it,i jus wouldnt do it, my eldest who is 5 said she wanted her ears pierced about a yr ago, so i called her bluff and said come on then as we walked past claires accessories and she said oh ive changed my mind now i dont want it done really! i think she was expecting a full on argument with me telling her no etc and think it shocked her a bit! she hasnt mentioned it since :lol:

tbh i dont think ive seen a lo with their ears pierced where i live and there are no children in freyas class with them pierced.

i dont understand this whole culture thing?? y r some people against it with their culture/religion but are willing to accept with other religions?? xx
  • My hubby read this thread after I posted yesterday and he wanted me to ask...

Why stop at ears? Why not get their nipples or their tongue pierced?

It did make me giggle, but seriously, where do you draw the line and why? What's the difference between an ear, and giving your baby a Monroe? At the end of the day, it's a decision purely for the mum. They aren't exactly doing it for the good of their child, are they? They're doing something permanent to their baby because they like it. I like tattoos, let's all get our names tattooed on our babies, then if they get lost, people will know who to return them to!image

:lol::lol: that made me laugh loud!! lol ...i quite like the idea of tatooing them so they can be returned if they were lost :lol: i suppose on a less brighter note if that were the case at least if children were abducted they would be identifiable no matter what they looked like .......obviously no one would ever tatoo there baby (i dont think!) but it may be less cruel than peircing them which has no reason at all other than "cute" :lol:
  • :lol: 'if found, please return to EmilyB'

i think it might be slightly illegal to tattoo someone that young. Maybe permanent marker?
  • I had mine done when I was a few months old. My mum liked it then but she said if it was her time again she wouldn't do it now. However, myself and my sisters never had any issues getting them pierced so young. I then chose to get all my other piercings myself, the second pair at 10, one at the top at 12....I'm my mothers daughter!!

I'm sure I will get Haiden's ears pierced when she is a few years old but only if she wants them done. x
  • :lol::lol: yep definatly illiegal ...so it is possible to make something illegal on children :lol: permanent marker sounds good :lol:
  • I don't like it on babies.

But me and my twin sis had our ears pierced when we were really young purely so people could tell us apart! One of us had star shaped earrings and the other had squares! Teachers used to look at our ears before saying our names! We were mega identical when we were little.

• Girls

I just wanted to say... when i saw this topic and saw that it had reached 4 pages, i really thought it would have turned into an argument. But it hasnt! Yay! Well done to everyone!! image
    xx
  • Does a discussion like this normally turn into an argument?

Sorry havn't been on here long enough to find out if its what normally happens