Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ears peirced on a baby???

Replies

• G/C from pregnancy,

i have a 2 year old daughter, i was 19 when i had her and i actually did an ear peircing course when she was 2 weeks old! i was actually horrified to learn that it was legal to peirce a babys ears from 4 months+, and everyone asked me if i thought of piercing my daughters ears... NO! i could never dream allowing that! dont get me wrong, if thats what u want, fair enough, who am i to judge, but i could personally never let it happen to my baby! and tbh, im not sure i would feel comfortable peircing a babys ears. luckily ive never been asked to, so i will cross that bridge when i come to it. Ive always said that as soon as my LO is old enough to ask for them doing, then i will do it. i know that at the ages of 7ish, a lot of girls ask for them doing, and iw ill of course explain that it hurts and that u ahve to take good care of them.

can i just say tho, that if u r going to have ur babys ears peirced, please try and get the largest stud size possible, as teeny weeny studs can sink into the ear if they are laid on a lot, and obviously babys sleep a lot! lol!! just some practical advise! hehe!

i guess its all about personal opinion, and no1 would say that someones a 'bad parent' for doing it! i certainly wouldnt! we all do stuff differently, no matter who we are, or where we come from.

nice to have a grown up discussion ladies! xx
  • Does a discussion like this normally turn into an argument?

Sorry havn't been on here long enough to find out if its what normally happens

Yeah unfortunately in the past anything where people's opinions differ greatly can get pretty heated.... someone ends up taking offence to something that someone else has said etc.

Not this time though, and it's nice to see that :\)

Broody
    24+5
    xx
  • I am wondering what people opinions on the clip on earrings are? Obv they are not permanent and do not cause any pain to the lo's, would people let their kids put them on during the day instead? :\?
    (can you even still get clip on earring these days?)

xx
  • icecreamlover, i had too ben thining whats wrong with clip ons, but personally if i had a dd, i still wldn't let them wear them until 5 or 6 and probably only for parties or dress up play, to me ear rings are a grown up thing and i don't like the way society is going these days with little girls dressing like adults, they are children and shld be able to enjoy being a child rather than them dressing like a olser teenager....but yes clip ons aren't in anyway the same league as real ear rings, my main beef with real earings is that it causes unnecessary pain and leaves a permanent scar for no other reason than looking 'cute'...as clip ons don't do this i don't see the harm for parties and playing dress up...i've seen them in claires accessories recently as my sisters middle girl is allowed clip ons (she's 10) although she's not really a girly girl anyway, but the younger one (7) isn't allowed them, the eldest tho got her ears done at 11 i think..
  • i think it does not look nice and it is not needed, you putting the baby though this pain for yourself and risk of infection. i was 8 when i had my done and it was my choice, it also goes without saying i hate jewelery on babies cos it looks cheap and tacky.
  • We have a 9 month old in my baby group who has small hoops in, she has had them since she was at least 5 months old.

My concern is that little sparkly things are easily noticed by other babies, so do the mums not worry that another LO will investigate and pull them out, (knowing my luck when this happens it will be my LO!).

I personally dont like it, but dont like seeing it on other babies, as have to really watch my LO round thm as she is interested in what they are.

Sorry but hoops on a baby is an accident waiting to happen!
  • Girls

I just wanted to say... when i saw this topic and saw that it had reached 4 pages, i really thought it would have turned into an argument. But it hasnt! Yay! Well done to everyone!! image
    xx

:lol: that will be my stern post at the beginning saying NO ARGUMENTS :lol:

icecreamlover i dont like clip on earings either ,imo hey do hurt well they hurt me when at 11 i wasnt allowed my ears peirced ...i dont think there is any need for children to have anything added to there bodies to make them look cute ,a child is cute with a nice bow in her hair ,or nice trendy jeans image xxxxxxxx
  • My lo is 5 and she loves all things girly and occasionally has stick on earings. She wears them just for fun sometimes ( and puts them on me as well), no pain at all.
  • I agree - hoops are a no no for young children and babies! Just understated normal sized studs are ok.

And mums too - I actually love hoop earrings but every time I've tried to wear them since lo born lo just pulls on them - ow ow and more OW!

• One word...Horrible
    When Livvy comes to me and asks to have hers done then I might just think about it!
    I hate seeing babies and small children with there ears pierced looks so chavvy!
  • I disagree with the jewellery in a way...i've never put jewellery on my son and probably won't but my friend's sons have lil tiny gold bracelets and they look cute. Obviously no huge gold necklaces and chunky rings though - lol!!!
  • I was only 2 when my mum got mine done but that was back in the 70's so more socially acceptable.

Having a son, its obviously not an issue for us (saying that two boys of 3 at shea's nursery have pierced ears!!)but if I had a girl she would not be allowed to ahve it done until teenage years.

I don't see why you would want to pierce a childs body for the sake of fashion (and I am a fashionata!!!) I also wouldn't let them wear clip on's either at a young age. I just think a lot of little girls are turning into "older looking girls" younger and younger these days.
    I don't agree with the some of the fashions around for little girls either - skimpy skirts, flirty t shirts and heals should be left for older teenagers/adults

little girls should be little girls (again just my opinion!!) they grow up far too quickly anyway
  • I find it absolutely awful that a mother would want to willingly cause quite strong pain to an infant when they are completely unable to defend themselves or have any opinion on the matter! Why is it legal to scar your child all for the sake of fashion? There are years and years ahead of them to decide if they want piercings or tattoos - i do not understand how anyone could think it was right or safe to do so! It would break my heart seeing a baby go through pain just to look 'pretty' or 'cute'.
    Babies are beautiful as they are, two bleeding holes in their ears are not nice and quite frankly should be made illegal. If harm comes to a child in any other way a mother gets angry - so how is piercing their ears any different? I have a 4 year old daughter - i will hopefully give her decision when she reaches 9 or 10. x
  • My 7 year old had hers done just after Christmas. I'd wanted to wait longer but all the girls in her class had them done and she was actually getting laughed at for not having hers done! Can you believe that??!

I'd never have allowed it any younger though,it's dangerous IMO. There is a mum at school,and she has a 10 month old who has large gold hoops,2 gold chains round her neck and bracelets on both arms. No offence to anyone,but that just looks horrible and cheap. And it's so so dangerous,what if she pulls the hoops? Or gets her necklace stuck on something?

I just don't understand people who will put babies at risk of injury just for some jewellery! Hope no one was offended by my mini rant there lol x
  • Damn ads...Grrr....
    Ok..so im the minority here...Im not on to cause an arguement so please dont jump down my throat - id sooner turn off the laptop and walk away than to get into a heated arguement with someone but i have to say my bit on this... i have 4 daughters aged 14,10,8 and 6 1/2 months..and all of them have their ears pierced. My 10 year old was the youngest to get them done and she was 4 1/2 months old....

When i was getting my 14 yr olds done, i was told by the hairdresser doing it (was the only place back then who done ear piercing on young children) that small babies have no nerves in their earlobes, they cry from the shock of the gun and the pressure of the ear ring going in, so getting them done at a young age is better (IF you decide you want to pierce your childs ears, as i said, YOUR personal decision).... This was why i DID go ahead and get them done when they were so young, and why i've had all my girls done (MY decision).... They were cleaned regularly, turned twice a day and NEVER EVER got infected..

After seeing this thread yesterday, i sat my girls down last night an asked them all, do you regret me having them done when you were so small... My 14 yr old (who decided when she was 10 that she wanted a second set but refused to sit through the second ear after getting one done) said no - she wears ear rings of all sizes whenever she feels like it..... My 10 year old said she LOVES her ear rings cause they're pretty on girls and has been begging me for months to let her get them pierced again so am going to let her get them done tomorrow.... and my 8 year old, who ONLY wears ear rings when i ask her to on special occasions said no cause she likes the option of being able to wear them if she feels she wants too ....

So, as i've said, its IS a personal decision and as has been quoted on this topic, its great its not turned into a major row (i really hope this post doesnt start one because it really is not my intention,,,but...... I feel quite offended reading some of the quotes some people have made......
    An age thing? Im not young - im 33....
    Trashy? Chavvy? Tacky? Travellery? Im not trashy, a Chav or a Traveller (I am from Ireland so my definition of a Traveller might be different to yours - Gypsy?)
    Bad parenting? I am a very good mother, my girls are my life and everything i've done in my adult life has been for my kids... I was a single working mum for almost 6 years after suffering one to many punches from my kids dad, until i met my now Fiance - but thats not the topic here....

So, Im posting a photo of my youngest daughter on here ,the day she got them done (aged 2 days off 6 months)and i want to know - do you think she looks Trashy, Chavvy or Tacky because i really dont think so.......................................

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/cheyni_2007/IMG_1275.jpg

(excuse the Arsenal Jersey, my dad is a HUGE fan and has no grandsons to watch the match with so his "girls" are all Arsenal fans lol)

[Modified by: cheyni on March 26, 2010 02:40 PM]

[Modified by: cheyni on March 26, 2010 02:41 PM]

[Modified by: cheyni on March 26, 2010 02:42 PM]

• http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/cheyni_2007/IMG_1374.jpg

Last Week on St Patricks day
  • Cheyni
    Whilst I personaly wouldnt get dd's done this young I must say your dd does not look at all trashy-she looks gorgeous.
    xx
  • g/c as saw this on the front page and have been following with interest.

Cheyni, there is no biological basis for your hairdressers statement on nerves in the ear lobe. It is a common myth that babies don't feel pain like adults but sadly they do.

This is what she told me the first time i went to gt them done on my daughter - 14 years ago.... I understand she was wrong in that BUT the piercing is done in the centre of the ear lobes to avoid nerves and cartilage which is why you should always go to a professional to get them done... And yes, i agree with you about the Ice cube and needle way.... I wouldnt even do that too myself..

As a matter of interest, Some Cultural reasons are to do with the babies sight, those cultures believe the gold in ear rings can improve the babies sight !!!

And thank you for the lovely comments on Eden-Skye.... I do love her ears pierced but i KNOW she is beautiful with or without them (was just my preference to have them done early)
  • Your baby is lovely, beautiful even but yes, I think it looks trashy (imo) I hate to see it. People say on here its YOUR personal choice but what about the babies personal choice. They get NO say in the matter. I think it should be made illegal regardless of religion , culture etc until the child is 10 yrs or over!

I have 2 daughters and one is 19. We allowed her to have them done at 16. My 2yr old will be the same IF she wants them done that is.

Babies should be as close to natural as possible. I hate to see babies in jeans, leather jackets, designer clobber, trainers etc.. I LOVE to see them in white, comfortable gear and to me that does not include holes in their ears. How would a parent feel if one came out and the child choked on it, or pulled it and ripped thier ear. Personally i do everything I can to save my child from hurt or distress.

I dont mean to offend but I really do hate hate hate it...

each to their own but i do think it should be highly illegal.

d x
  • I really dont like it!!! I'm lucky because they do pierce babys ears in my hubbys culture but thankfully he shares the same opinion as me!!!! Just pointless, put a cute little hairband on them, dont put holes in their ears!!! I was 10 when I decided I wanted mine, I understood the concept of pain and I would look at this age as a guide if I have a daughter who wants pierced ears!!!!

xxx