Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ears peirced on a baby???

Replies

• Options
    I'm with you, dee dee, what a beautiful baby she is but what pointless holes in her ears. It's not for the benefit of the baby at all.

Cheyni, I'm genuinely intrigued to know where the line is drawn and why. Would you pierce your baby's ears more than once? At the top maybe? Would you like to pierce any other part of her body?

As for the piercing gun... ick! Nasty thing, I remember it well! :lol:
  • Options
    I still don't see the point in a baby with earings...

EmilyB like you said there is no benefit for the baby is there??
  • Options
    agreed, cheyni ur daughter is beautiful, she doesn't need those earings, what is the point in them?
    and yes, to me it does automatically scream stereotypes of chavs or travellers, not saying u are, but thats what pops into my head when i see a baby with metal in her ears....but she is very beautful, with or without them, but my vote wld still be to go for without.
  • Options
    Well i think that comment is uncalled for EmilyB.... Yes i have her ears pierced but im hardly likely to go out and pierce another part of her body am i? Pierced ears have been part of society for many many years, done on people from babies to (some) OAPS...... As i said in my first post, my 10 yr old has been at me for a long time to let her get a second set and im only now agreeing to let her..... Fair enough you have your opinion on it but so do i !! There is really no need for nastiness
  • Options
    I'm not being nasty, i'm genuinely interested in why it's ok to pierce babies' ears, but not another part of them.
  • Options
    i agree iwth emily b, where is the difference between her ears pierced or her eyebrow or bellybutton for example?
  • Options
    cheyni. I am not sure she was been nasty. Mote intrigued I think????

I also wondered what line schools take on earings. My kids school don't allow them except for the first 6 weeks when you are not supposed to take them out. Even then the child has to wear plasters over them.

Your post about your 10yr old wanting a 2nd pair intrigues me. IF she had no peircings then she would only now be wanting her first piercing. Because you had them done as a baby she is asking for 2nd piercings at a very young and IMO inappropraite age. Come another year or so and I will put money on her asking for her belly button done!!! You have set the example that it is OK to have peircings.

d x
  • Options
    Oh come on,,, there is a huge difference in getting a babys ears pierced and other parts of their body... Ears are socially acceptable on a baby whereas the other parts are just plain stupid !!
    Ok, look,, i said im not going to get into an arguement and im not... Lets just agree, you have your opinion and i have mine,,, And i chose to get MY daughters ears pierced ................
  • Options
    Absolutely it's your decision to pierce your babies ears. I honestly don't see the difference though. Is it just once that's ok, or is twice acceptable? If it's about saving her the pain of having them done when she's older, would you have them done twice for her? I am just interested to see where you draw your line. For me, the line rests at one set of studs at around 10, as that's when I had mine done, but I'm aware that this might be different depending on my daughter and her maturity (if I have a daughter, that is!) so as with all parenting, there's wiggle room in some areas and that's one of them. A second set would have to be after she was 16, and any other piercings would have to be after she was 18.

I completely agree that our opinions differ, and that's great, but it's the reasoniung behind it that I'm interested in, and not for an argument, just because it's interesting.
  • Options
    G/C

I wont even take my daughter to get her Swine Flu jab as i dont want to inflict undue pain to her..(poor thing is petrified of the doctors since her mmr she has a good memory so she will be having it done once i have had this baby and we wont have to go visit the doctors as much with midwife appointments etc as she has just started trusting the doctors again which makes it easier for me) so why on earth anyone would pierce there babys ears and cause them pain for nothing other than decoration is beyond me!!!

So no i wouldnt get my daughters ears pierced and i dont like it. Im with Dee dee.. it should be illegal until an age when a child can choose for themselves.

26+2 xx

[Modified by: MrsNoName on March 26, 2010 04:50 PM]

• Options
    I actually applaud you Cheyni for been so brave as to put up a pic of your lovely little girl knowing that most on this thread have not agreed with it.

I do think the MY you put in capitals says it all tho..MY MY MY..not your babies decision and that is what concerns me. She does not need anything artificial to make her more adorable. She looks lovely just as she is.

I am sorry, I really don't like it. I honestly think it should be banned but as usual in the UK nothing will be done incase some ethnic group get all upset and start running around threatening to bring down the whole of the UK for daring to go against their beliefs...blah blah, yawn yawn...

d x
  • Options
    I have to agree with dee dee on the MY MY MY comment, there has been a lot of talk of personal choice . And it should be a personal choice - of the individual who will be getting their ears pierced not of a parent. A parent should be there to guide and protect their children not to force something on them. Would you decide that the time is right at 10yrs old to get them done and take them to do it even if they were saying no they didn't want them?

We don't own our children, they are a gift to us and we should be going out of our way to do whats best for them at all times and help them to grow into well rounded people who can make their own choices in life.
  • Options
    Cheyni your daughter does not look chavvy at all. I actually think studs on baby girls are cute but personally as I said I wouldn't think of getting them done (if i had a daughter) till age 5 or 6 onwards due to the pain aspect (jabs are bad enough lol) and my OH thinks that is too young so i imagine more the age of 9/10
  • Options
    hmmmm Cheyni I am afraid to say I think your baby is beautiful but I do think the piercings look trashy. I just can't see what benefit they give to your baby and yes I understand she is YOUR baby and it si YOUR choice but why not just leave it till it can be HER choice when she is mature enough to make the decision herself :\?

I presume you wont be offended by my opinion because you have asked for it :\)
  • Options
    My niece lives in another country where ear piercing babies is the norm (Spanish speaking country). She had her ears pierced on the day she was born!!
    The only problem I see is that their ears are tiny and still growing, so the hole will expand as well, but a lot of girls in India and Spanish speaking countries have their ears pierced at birth.
    Personally, I had mine done when I was 10 and it was such a happy day for me. If I had a daughter, I'd want her to decide for herself and would love to go with her to get them done. However I had a boy!!

xx
  • Options
    cheyni i also think your daughter is beautiful but i did cringe at the peircing ..i just dont like it either ..i went away last weekend and there was a little girl the same age as my dd ..she was very very pretty ..beautiful curls at the bottom of her hair ,cute little outfit and STUDS IN HER EAR!!! 14 months ..she was no more than that and it looks awful .....i just cant understand why its "cute" babies,toddlers,children are cute without a body peircing ....

but hey thats why i did this post ..for varied opinion image thanks to everyone who has responded its been interesting xxxxxxxx
  • Options
    I think a lot has to do with the area of the country that you live in. It has a lot to do with how acceptable and normal it is. When I was 4 we moved from Germany to Scotland. I have 4 sisters and I am 2nd youngest. None of us had our ears peirced. It just was not done on children there. My older sisters and mum got so many comments about not having thier ears pierced in our wee fishing villiage in Scotland because EVERYBODY got them done when they were young children there. So they all got done and then I had my ears peirced for my 4th birthday. It is such a clear memory and it didn't hurt at all, it just felt hot the next day. Then we moved to Northern Ireland and the area that we lived in and our church were outraged and out they came again, although mine are still open 25 years later!! I'm glad I had them done young as my mum looked after them and cleaned them properly whereas all my freinds who had them peirced as teenagers were trusted to look after them themselves and had vile infections. In Northern Ireland a child with peirced ears is an indicator of what community you are from which I don't like because people make snap judgements. But I have to admit I quite like it as long as its just studs!
  • Options
    a lot of cultures pierce the babies ears within days of being born. i only have boys at the minute and not sure what i would do if i had a girl. i dont think it looks chavvy. but think id worry about them getting caught or infected more than anything. i got my own ears pierced at five and never left them alone. ended up with terrible infected lobes. they closed up and i got them redone at 10. over the year i have had them done 3 times in each ear although now i only wear 1 set at a time. had my bellybutton done but it also got infected at the age of 18. but im more your tattoo kinda girl.
  • Options
    Cheyni, your daughter is a gorgeous looking little girl, I dont think she looks trashy but i think the ear-rings do. No offence intended to anyone who maes the choice to have their lo's done but i think it looks tacky . Your girls say they are happy that their ears have been pierced but if their ears hadnt been done they wouldnt know any difference and would only be asking for first piercing. 2 piercings on one so young . Definatley not right IMO.

I agree with Dee Dee. It should be banned full stop in babies and small children then there is no problem with choice. There is a number of arguments can be made against it whether it is for reasons of pain caused to child, forcing shildren to have adult things and grow up to soon, etc and i think all of them have merit. I think your posting a picture of your daughter and asking if she looked trashy and was possibly intended to incite an argument and that is the route you went down when emilyb asked a question.

Your daughter is gorgeous. Her earrings are not. No offence intended. x
  • Options
    In Northern Ireland a child with peirced ears is an indicator of what community you are from which I don't like because people make snap judgements.

Faithie- Just wondering where you were in NI as that's where I'm from and never heard anything like it? not disagreeing just very curious image
    Regarding the piercing debate I agree it is very much a personal decision and not something I want to do until my daughter is old enough to discuss it with but I do want to say that if i had gone ahead and pierced Lorelei's ears when she was younger (she's now 15 months) I would be having no end of worry as she is a real rough n tumble child, she's forever pulling clips and hairbands out 5 mins after put them in and I think if she'd earrings in she would probably try yanking them out too. My mum hates anything like this and I finally wore her down at 11 to get my ears done. I've went on to have many more piercings and tattoos but that's my choice. Religion aside, it is something the child should have a say in.

Oh, and not sure if already mentioned but if you were going to pierce your child's ears why do it on the cheap? I can't afford a proper sterile place then save for another few weeks surely?