Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ears peirced on a baby???

12346»

Replies

• Options
    I think this thread is very interesting. I don't have a daughter but i wouldn't get her ears pierced for two reasons...

The first is that i have seen these things get horribly infected to the extent that the butterfly has popped inside the earlobe and has required cutting out with a scalpel in a and e. Sometimes the child needs a general anaesthetic to have this removed. This is more common than you might think and is totally needless.

The second reason is that no matter what i personally might think about the look of babies with piercings, the fact is that many, many other people think it looks trashy. I would hate to think people were looking at my daughter thinking that she was chavvy. I would want my child to have the best opportunities possible and for this reason i would do everything possible to make things easier for her irrespective of whether i thought studs on a child looked nice or not!
  • Options
    Mummychops - Hi. I live in the Shankill area in Belfast and most people there would say that a baby girl with thier earpeirced is a "gypsy" or traveller. Maybe its just the comments that I have picked up on. Definitely the rows and rows of hoops that young girls have would be seen as a Catholic thing. Its just another one of those stupid things that is used to divide people here in my experience.
  • Options
    Im against it too im afraid. I see no reason at all why babies need to have their ears pierced. It doesnt look cute, it looks cheap and trashy IMO. I hated taking my LO for his jabs, but that was for his own good. There is no way I would have holes put in his body just to please myself. If he asks when he's old enough to weigh up the pro's and con's then fair enough, but it will be HIS choice, not mine x
  • Options
    cheyni, your daughter is lovely...but the earings look ridiculas, don't take it personally, i think it looks silly on all babies to have their ears peirced, i agree it should be made illegal for babies to get thier ears peirced
    ellie.x i agree, it looks cheap and trashy and there is no reason for it
    i really reallly am agaisnt it but thats my opinion
    30+4
  • Options
    Faithie- isn't that so weird that something as minor as ear-piercing is given such a label? I've never lived there- kinda glad now by sounds of it lol Cheers for the eye- opener image
  • Options
    Funnily enough my dd1 asked me today if she could have her ears pierced - she is 5. When I explained to her that it would involve a gun with a needle, blood and pain, she soon changed her mind! If a 5yr old can work out that its a bad idea then you'd think adults would be able to!

• Options
    All I can say is that I worked bloody hard for nine months...watched what I ate...gave up my luxuries...gave up my ability to sleep (ha) ...Worried constantly about whether or not they were ok...lost my figure...gained some unsightly stretchmarks..and generally sacrificed my body for a perfect little creature who I would kill and die for.

We are lucky to have been blessed with healthy perfect gorgeous little people who lool at us with such trust when we give them their bottle, and giggle at us with such love when we greet them every morning like we've been gone for years...why would you mark their perfect little bodies with meaningless permanent scarring..or put them through pain when they trust you to look after and protect them...it's not fair
  • Options
    Wow Princess87, that's such a profound way of putting it and it's spot on.
  • Options
    Totally agree Princess87. Well said
    xx
  • Options
    omg Princess87 what a way of putting it! Couldn't have put it better...... why try and improve on something so perfect and beautiful????

'It looks cute' just doesn't cut it.

xx
  • Options
    Faithie I am from Northern Ireland as well and I have never heard anything about ear piercing and religion. I am not from Belfast though. I have lived here all my life and I am almost 30 and not once have I heard it mentioned so I wouldn't say it is Northern Ireland in general. I would say parts of Belfast probably. I had my ears pierced when I was younger although not anymore due to infection but I didnt get them done until I was 7. I personally wouldn't get my lo's ear's pierced until she was old enough to decide if she wants them done. Everyone has their own opinion I suppose and do what they want to their own children.
  • Options
    I don't think it is a good idea piercing a baby's ears.

I got mine done when I asked when I was 7, so that seems a fair age to do it (6 at youngest).

I don't know about the age thing - I'm 18 and not piercing my daughter's ears, and the lady across the street is 39 and just pierced her daughter's (she was 3mths when got them done)

BUT maybe in general it IS an age thing - anyway I have to leave the house now, runnign late lol, but this is an interesting topic!! image
  • Options
    in my opinion, i dont like it. all of mine had bangles as baby's and a lot of people don't like that either, but i think sticking holes unecessarily into bubbas body is a bit unfair on baby. i have just let my daughter have her ears pierced and she is 9 and been asking to have it done for several years now, i wanted her to make the decision and understand what it entails, i made her watch someone else have it done beforehand too. she went ahead and had them done and they do look pretty, but i will only buy her studs as i don't like seeing young girls with these big hoops.

at the same time my 7 yr old son asked to have his done, and that was a point blank 'no, not until you're old enough to have it done without my consent', as i do really despise it in boys.

if i have offended anyone, i apologize, but this is MY opinion only. xxxx
  • Options
    i will personally be waiting until jasmine asks for hers done. i had mine at the age of 8 after begging my mum for about a year lol! my mum never agreed on it and only had hers done last year aged 59 when she was going thru a mid life change phase! haha.
    I have many friends who have had their babies and young children done and i think each to your own. no one should be slated for having their childs ears done its personal choice like you've all said. evryone is different in different ways from parenting skills to how u dress your baby.
    my personal opinion is that it doesnt look right and i fell a permenant change to the body all be it a small one shud be made by the individual.
    xxx
  • Options
    Wow so nice to see a discussion thread not being turned into an argument (Im not a newbie, been here for almost 3 years but had to re register)

I think earrings (studs, hoops, whatever) looks NASTY on little children. Yuck! It definately looks neddy/chavvy/cheap.

A girl who I am friends with (only occasionally chat over fb) has a little girl the same age as my son (2) and she has little gold hoops in her ears...boggin!!! Completely ruined her little girls looks - she could be cute if her mother didnt stick bits of garbage through her ears!

I got my ears pierced when I was 7. Not sure what age I think it appropriate for ear piercing, probably around 10/11/12. Little girls should be little girls image

Boys with their ears pierced is horrible. My nephew is 6 and he has a diamond stud in his ear....yuck!

I think its safe to say that if anyone came near my child with an ear piercing gun i would not hesitate to knock out their teeth!

emilie
  • Options
    No I don't like it - to me that is an example of the parents' vanity and nothing else - I think a child should be old enough to make those choices themselves so I would say no younger than 10/11 before I'd even consider it.

xx
  • Options
    All I can say is that I worked bloody hard for nine months...watched what I ate...gave up my luxuries...gave up my ability to sleep (ha) ...Worried constantly about whether or not they were ok...lost my figure...gained some unsightly stretchmarks..and generally sacrificed my body for a perfect little creature who I would kill and die for.

We are lucky to have been blessed with healthy perfect gorgeous little people who lool at us with such trust when we give them their bottle, and giggle at us with such love when we greet them every morning like we've been gone for years...why would you mark their perfect little bodies with meaningless permanent scarring..or put them through pain when they trust you to look after and protect them...it's not fair

couldnt say it better myself!
    xx
    30+6
  • Options

So, so beautifully put - it made me cry (softy mummy!) . Couldn't agree more x